Chapter Twelve

I sit under our tree by the lake. I'm alone, Lily had to go ask Professor Slughorn about something. I'm reading my sister's copy of Hogwarts, a History. The Ministry woman gave it to me before she left, among other things.
I flip the page, and I see some of Serenity's notes on the page in her neat handwriting. She has notes everywhere in the book, I never really read them. I've tried to, but they just make me miss her more. This time is different, though. I start reading her notes.

Bria,
I hope you'll never have to read this. But if you are reading it, flip to the back cover and look.

That's all it says. I quickly flip to the back cover of the book, searching for whatever Serenity wanted me to find. I see nothing out of place, it just looks like a regular back cover. I start running my hands over it when I feel it. Something underneath the cover.
I cast a quick charm to cut off a little bit of the back cover, reaching inside. I feel a piece of parchment in my grasp. I pull it out, quickly repairing the back of the book. Then I start reading.

Bria,
Once again, I really hope you never have to read this.
If you are reading, then I ought to tell you something.
Mum and Dad are probably dead as you are reading this, and so am I. And it's not for the reason the Ministry probably told you.

What does she mean? The Ministry woman told me that they were killed because they were very against Voldemort, and constantly showed that they were. That didn't surprise me. But what is she talking about?

The reason we're dead is because... Well, let me tell you what I think the Ministry told you first.
They probably told you that we are dead because we were very opposed to Voldemort, and that we constantly both said it and showed it.
This is a lie. It's partially the truth, but it isn't why we're dead.
They came after us for a few reasons. One, Mum and Dad were very anti-Voldemort. Two, Mum and Dad were both pretty powerful Wizards. Three, Mum and Dad had a lot of influence over the magical community, because they're heads of the Auror Department. Four, they're heads of the Auror Department, and they've put many of Voldemort's supporters in Azkaban. And five, they came for me.