Chapter Thirtyeight

"All right, Ms. Noble. Time to take off your bandages." Madam Pomfrey announces, plopping down into the chair by my bedside. "This many not be for good; some of your wounds may need more healing."
        I watch as she peels the white fabric off of my skin. Sometimes, there's nothing there when she removes it. Not even a scar. Most of the time there is a scar, or a lot of scars. And then, sometimes there's a wound that still needs healing. So Madam Pomfrey will apply a gel-like purple potion to it (which feels oddly warm), and re-wrap it.
        Now, it's time to unwrap my left hand. I know she must've done something horrible to it, because my entire hand is wrapped in fabric. And it's the wound that hurt the most. Madam Pomfrey starts carefully peeling away the many layers of linen, each piece becoming more bloodstained as she goes along.
        When she finally gets to the skin, she lets out a quiet gasp. Because, "LIAR" is etched into my skin, with what I assume was Elizabeth's knife.
"Oh my..." Madam Pomfrey whispers, and she runs to her office. A moment later, she comes back with five more potions, and starts applying them to the words. But, the potions seem to have no effect. The words still look the same. "Humph." Madam Pomfrey grunts, and she disappears to her office again, coming back with a dozen more potions. She starts applying them to the words madly, still with no effect. "I'm afraid... I'm afraid it might be permanent." She whispers to me.
I purse my lips, staring at the words now forever etched into my skin. "Of course. It's just my luck." I whisper, watching as Madam Pomfrey still tries to wash away the words with no success.