Chapter Sixteen

"What?!" Lily says, running over to my nightstand and looking for it. She looks underneath it, behind it, on the sides of it, but it's not there.
"Someone stole it. Of course, right after I find that letter..." I whisper.
"Well, it could've only been a girl. Only girls can come up the staircase."
"So, in other words, it's not them." I say.
"It can't be. The staircase is enchanted. We should tell Professor McGonagall." Lily suggests.
"But what if she just tells me to get a new book?"
"Tell her you don't have enough money. Come on, at least try!" Lily says, pulling on my hand.
"Fine." I say, letting her drag me to McGonagall's office.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"What is it Miss Evans?" Professor McGonagall asks when Lily opens the door.
"Oh it's not me, Professor. It's Bria, someone stole her copy of Hogwarts, a History." Lily says, dragging me into the office.
"When was it stolen?" McGonagall asks, looking at me.
"It was-" Lily starts to say, but Professor McGonagall cuts her off.
"Miss Noble, please tell me the story."
"I-I put it on my nightstand before dinner, and when we came back it was gone. We looked everywhere." I whisper.
"And it can only be a girl, because-"
"Yes Miss Evans, I know. Miss Noble, have you considered buying a new copy?"
"But-But I don't want to." I whisper.
"Why?"
"Because-Because it was my sister's copy." I whisper.
Professor McGonagall pales a little. "Oh. Yes, Serenity... I'll look into it, Miss Noble. For now, go back to your dormitory."
"Thank you, Professor." I whisper, and then Lily and I walk out of the office.
"Thank goodness McGonagall remembered your sister. Or else you probably would've been told to buy a new one..." Lily says.
"I figured that she would remember. McGonagall was Serenity's favorite Professor." I whisper.
"I'm so-"
"I know, Lily." I say sadly as we climb through the portrait hole and head for the stairs. "And can you not say anything about it?"
"I won't say anything, I promise."