Chapter Thirty

"Happy Birthday!" I hear Lily yell, and I groan.
"What?" I mumble, confused.
"It's November 27th! That's your birthday, right?"
"'M trying to sleep." I mumble, pushing her off my bed.
"Come on Bria, get up! Come have some fun for once!" Lily whines, pulling my arm.
"No... Wait, what do you mean 'fun'?" I ask, curious.
"We're going to Hogsmeade and I'm going to buy you something!"
"Ugh, fine. If you insist." I reply with a shrug, sitting up.

                                                                                                                                             ****
"Why are we walking toward the formal wear shop?" I ask, groaning inside.
"Because I'm going to buy you a dress." Lily replies simply, pulling me in the door.

        Last night at dinner, Dumbledore announced that they were going to hold a Christmas Ball, just to try it out. If you wanted to attend you must be a Fourth Year or above, unless you're going with someone older. And you should find a date soon, because it's in less than a month, blah, blah, blah.
"Who says I'm going?" I ask as Lily drags me through the shop's door.
"Don't you want to go with Remus?" Lily asks as she pulls me over to a dress rack.
"Who says Remus wants to go?"
Lily slaps my arm. "Oh, stop being so negative! He asked me to do this for you. Well, not exactly, but he meant for me to do it."
"What?" I ask, confused.
"Never mind. Just try on dresses and pretend to be happy."

        Lily and I spend hours in that store. We both try on dresses (Lily's going with Frank Longbottom as a friend), and Lily makes all the choices. "That one doesn't look very flattering at all." "Too short." "Too long." "That's a terrible color on you." Finally Lily is happy with both of our dresses, and pays for them, despite my complaining. "It's fine, Bria. You can't pay for it, you know that."
After buying the dresses Lily drags me over to the Three Broomsticks, where James tries to ask Lily to the Christmas Ball several times, but Lily turns him down. "I have a date!" She yells.
"Really?" James says, sticking up an eyebrow. "Who?"

"Frank and I are going as friends." She replies, exasperated.
"Damn." James says, and then he walks away.