Chapter Thirtyone

December 25

"Merry Christmas, Bria! Get up! Presents!" Lily yells, shaking me.
I sit up. "Presents?" I ask, confused.
The smile falls from Lily's face. "Yes Bria, you get presents." She says sympithetically.
I smile, and look at the foot of my bed to see a small pile of them. "I haven't had presents in a long time." I whisper, moving across the bed toward them.
"Well, go ahead! Open them!" Lily says excitedly, sitting down on the bed next to me.
I pick up a fat box with light blue wrapping paper, and tear it open. Inside is a book called Dangerous Magical Beasts. "Lily, did you get me this?" I ask, searching the wrappings for something that says who it's from.
"No." Lily replies with a frown.
"I guess they forgot to write their name on it, then." I guess, putting the book aside.
"Open the others!" Lily commands, throwing a green box onto my lap.
" 'To Bria, from Mr. and Mrs. Evans' " I read. "Your parents didn't have to get my anything!" I protest, hitting Lily's arm.
"I couldn't stop them. And I really like what they got you." Lily explains with a shrug.
I tear open the wrappings, pulling out a Muggle book called The Chronicles of Narnia: the Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe. "Sounds interesting." I remark after reading the back cover. "Tell your parents that I say thank you very much, and that they didn't have to get me anything."
"I will. Now open mine!" Lily squeals, shoving a purple box with a blue ribbon into my hands. I open the box to find a key necklace I saw in the window of the formal wear shop. [polyvore] "It's beautiful." I whisper, and Lily takes it out of the box, putting it around my neck. "You didn't have-"
"Yes, I did. Shut up and apreciate it." Lily demands, "Now open the last one."
I pick up a box with dark blue wrapping paper on it. Written in gold ink on the top of the box  it says: 'To Bria, love Remus' Inside is a note, which reads: 'I'll see you tonight.' Right next to a bracelet with a wolf on it.[polyvore] How did Remus know that I love wolves? I must've brung it up sometime.
"Are you going to wear your new jewlery to the Ball?" Lily asks me after we've cleaned up all the wrapping paper.
"No, it doesn't really go with my outfit." I decide, looking at my wolf bracelet. "But I can wear the wolf bracelet." I decide, "Unless that offends you or something."
"Why would that offend me?" Lily asks.
"Because I'm not wearing your gift!"
"I don't care, I know you'll wear it. I know it doesn't go with your outfit, it's fine."
"Okay." I say, relieved.
"Now, let's go get breakfast. We've got a long day ahead of us." Lily says, dragging me out of our dormitory.
"What do you mean by 'a long day ahead of us'?" I ask, slightly scared.
"We have to get ready for the ball, remember?" Lily reminds me, and I groan.