chapter 5

STAT.

Stamina acquired test.

Another test that scared the life out of Tanya. Although she was better with her stamina than strength, her legs still shaking at the thought of having to go against others in a test for it.

They had to go back to the very gym she had embarrassed herself in and do it all over again, except this time the group was sectioned off. They would be on the treadmill for ten minutes then do squats and star jumps for five minutes and repeat. This was all repeated until the person either tapped out or had to be physically removed from the test. The second option being more popular with the groups.

The same grey room produced the feeling of being trapped. Dullness entered Tanya, radiating from each wall into her soul. Prisoned in the room with no escape, it leads to no choice but to take part in the test. No windows to jump out of. A locked door she couldn't get through. Three muscly guards that could squash her in between their fingers. Chances to be free fell through the grasp of her fingers. Lost in the dents of the murky blue flooring.

Her daydream continued, hoping of a chance she might one day see the world outside again without having to murder the innocent. Likelihood of her dream becoming reality slimming with each second she stayed dreaming in the place of nightmares.

The first group went up and none of the trio had been chosen to be a part of it. So spectating they did with caution to what could be seen. These were trained soldiers who want to impress. Soldiers who would do anything for their Marshall. But don't dogs also do whatever their owner commands. No one could decipher which one Frost had made of these people but nothing could change what was going to happen.

The trial started, every single member pacing themselves knowing if they tried too hard too fast they would be out of the running as fast as a high school track team member in an Olympics event. Each step that passed by only increased the foul stench of obsession. Obsession with impression. An impression of themselves that would be seen by Frost, who wouldn't even bat an eyelid to them. Being oblivious to people's wants was a special power of Frost's.

Minutes passed. Soon an hour had gone and all remained. The sweaty, tired, ragged bodies salvaged for more power to continue. Jumps got floppier and lower, the steps of running getting slower. The fatigue radiated from each body, consuming the room. This taking over a skinny boy with jet black hair, as he collapsed to the ground unconscious. Not only did no one even startle with fright but the boy was dragged out whilst the president's smile wiped onto his face.

After the first one dropped, the others went like flys. All succumbing to unconsciousness. How brave they were. Every memory of the group being lost when the next group was announced.

It was the final bunch to go. Both Deshi and Tanya were in the group and required to run. Hope had already taken her test succeeding with fifty-five minutes and a tap out to her name. They were impressed that she was a beginner however tapping out was frowned upon. Extremely frowned upon. No one changed their behavior towards Hope but remembered to watch out for her.

As Tanya stepped onto the treadmill her heart rate rose rapidly. She had been embarrassed once today. She didn't want to be again. The minimum expectation for the test was half an hour so that was the aim. They set off and slowly ran into the pits of boredom. Nothing filled the room except silence and the small patter of footsteps running. She was in for the long hall.

Half an hour was coming up and Tanya was exhausted. Like she had said before her stamina wasn't anything to boast about but she could go on for quite the while. Unfortunately, this wasn't seen as such an achievement in the eyes of the soldiers. Everyone was yet again sniggering at her and the effort she put in. All she could do was wait for it to clock at thirty minutes and tap out. She couldn't give less of a damn about what anyone would say. So when the digits turned to three zero zero zero she gracefully stepped off the treadmill. Mouths were agape which suffocated Tanya with awkwardness. Her cheeks turned red at all the eyes...

which were not actually on her.

All the stares pointed behind her. Towards Deshi, who only had a little sweat on his forehead. The buff man had also stepped off his treadmill and nodded towards Tanya with respect and understanding. He could have easily gone on forever but had decided to step off with Tanya. Why? Deshi knew if he had the shock would be focused on him rather than the girl people had already bullied for her capabilities. Taking the harsh stares would make her feel better yet many wonder why he did it. Because that is what friends do. They have each others back.

He never told Tanya the reason he did it, leaving it for her to figure out. She never realized the reason but this was the point Tanya discovered something important. Deshi wasn't just imprisoned because he resisted. He was imprisoned for being a kind soul who would do anything for his friends. Something Frost wanted to cover from the youth of today.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey guys,

hope you enjoyed this chapter! i am really enjoying writing this. let me know who is currently your favourite character. i think mine has to be deshi. more will be coming soon. if you can't wait head over to my instagram account @winterwritesstuff for poems and short stories i have created. i hope to see you there and that my family can expand there like it has on wattpad,

lots of love

winter <3