Chapter 10

The night cascaded over the cafe. Minutes seemed like hours as hesitation to setting camp where they were settled in the pits of the trio's stomachs. The nervous atmosphere was intense with every single sound that situated in 10-meter spatial proximity. None of them could sleep. Well, Hope was on the verge as her eyes stooped closed every few minutes but the refusal to go to sleep and leave the other two awake seemed wrong. What if the army returned? What if they did it when they weren't prepared? What if it had all been for nothing? All were valid reasons to stay alert. Tumbling through their minds growing the ball of worry, fear would never end.

"There's a rebel group, we can try to search for them in the morning." Deshi was shivering whilst he spoke. Surprisingly when you reached that time of the morning, being about three am now, it was extremely cold. As all of the Antarctic had melted the freeze lifted and migrated. The heat of the day usually eradicates the cold however at night the sun isn't present meaning everyone wrapped up to numb the frost from getting in. All these layers couldn't stop Tanya from shooting up at the remark.

"Rebel group?" It was then explained to the girls that there were rumors floating around the base that the big mission they were preparing for was a battle against a rebel group, Los Elementos son superiores. A community of men and women led to fight against the government to restore order and nature to the world. It wasn't just them though. A secret weapon was spoken of, one that could destroy the world in seconds if it had to, was in their grasps. One that had been used many times to fight and kill the soldiers leaving frost harmless and in danger. It was once apprehended but Elementos fought back. With each word, Tanya solidified her answer.

"Well, I guess we have a group to find in the morning, sleep tight." She smiled at Deshi, who replicated the gesture. When looking over to Hope, she was already asleep. Small snores of safety filled the air around her as the two laughed quietly, as to not wake her up. today was going to be chaotic.

Dawn broke and the escapees set off. Not knowing where the group was situated was a big disadvantage but there wasn't a lot of people who would find comfort in situating themselves in the barren land. So in theory, it shouldn't be too hard. Traveling was long and hard, water ran out quickly but water hoses were everywhere now, a law had been made to do this as most water supplies were polluted or dried making it hard to find. Silence didn't make the journey easier so whilst grasping for each piece of energy she could find Tanya took it upon herself to ask them questions. The talk would take her mind off of the excruciating pain of the gun she carried; it had been laid on her for hours now and all the weight only seemed to increase.

"How old are you guys?" Something that she now only realized they all didn't know. They knew about each other's lives before the world crumbled but didn't know how many years they got to live before it cracked.

"Thirty." Hope smiled. She would have experienced many years of happiness before, assuming her life was easy going. It was a surprise to Tanya though as Hope was youthful in her looks, suspecting only a couple of years between the two.

"Twenty." This surprising Tanya more as Deshi had the age and wisdom showing in his face, slight crows feet coming in, leading to him looking older than Hope. Oh, how the girl had been wrong.

"Well, I didn't expect that."

"How old are you T?"

Both turned to face her. "Seventeen." She was only a baby compared to most still alive. It was rare to see 'children' nowadays as many people stopped having them when Jasper came into power, either being too scared or getting ready to join the army. Some were even scared of what the man would do. So scared they murdered their offspring so the youths didn't have to live in this hell. Tanya was a rarity.

"I'm so sorry," Hope spoke.

"Why?"

"We failed you," Hope spoke again, guilt playing in her voice. She took the blame for all her generation's actions as they were the ones who could have stopped Jasper.

"It's not your fault Hope." A shared smile filled their sights as Deshi talked about how he was practically a teenager too but that didn't wash with Hope. Jokes flew around until Hope grew tired of Deshi's desperation and told him he was practically a grandpa. That was until gunshots interrupted the arguments.

Deshi and Hope ran into the nearest abandoned shops whilst Tanya rolled under a car. Only a few minutes passed when two populations of feet ran around the area. One wore camo pants and leather boots so it was only right to think it was Frost's army. Bullets sliced through the air and the clash of bodies with each other and the floor only built her nerves. It was very likely she was going to get caught, why didn't she just run into a shop with one of the others.

Battling on the two sides fought on. That was until a loud bellowing war cry pierced the air followed by a tsunami of tidal waves wiping everyone away. Tanya was only able to stay hidden from holding onto two tubes of the freakishly strong car.

Everything was now tranquil, strangely tranquil. She remained where she was waiting for a call of safety whilst the droplets of water dripped from every surface of her body. It came five minutes later and all three revealed themselves. No one was in sight. Fear trickled through the calm of each of them so as to keep moving Deshi said to keep moving.

One step. It only took one step for the air to be filled with the safety trigger being pulled to fill the air following three rectangular objects to be pushed to the back of the trio's heads. each of them stood in place not prepared to reap the consequences of moving.

"So you thought you could get away?"

================================================================================

hey guys,

this has been a struggle to get out as the ending deleted twice. not fun. but its here and i hope you enjoy it. if you want more of my content follow me on tumblr and instagram @winterwritesstuff.

lots of love

winter <3