chapter 6

The day was coming to an end and our trio came back to the dining hall, all starving after the amount of exercise they had partaken in. As they walked past each table a group of stares would join the already big crowd of eyes onto the three. Everyone now believed they were the comic relief of the army, only there for the laughter of the other members. However, the ones they all made fun of were the ones to look out for.

Frost didn't choose people randomly. He chose them from their physical abilities, which seemed to be little compared to the rest. Yet one day these very soldiers that laughed at them would be fighting them. However, that's for later on in our story.

Tanya gulped her food down trying to escape the dooming stares as fast as possible, the embarrassment still at heightened levels within her soul. Finishing her last piece of meat she got up and ran to the bin, throwing the rubbish away just about to escape when one of the muscly men from before barricaded her only hope.

"You can't leave, the beep test is after tea." Confusion clouded Tanya's mind as she sauntered back to her seat. The beep test. A simple yet horrifying name. A name that could have nothing behind it yet holds the terror of a monster. What is in a name that flower smelled so sweet? Is that what Shakespeare said? Well, this harmless name held your worst nightmare.

"Whats the beep test Deshi?" Tanya questioned. If it was a pacer test from decades ago she was going to quit. She didn't know how she could but she was quitting. No more running for Tanya.

"It's the thing they do, it sets your mind to a certain brain wave, then it shows you a video to manipulate your mind whilst keeping it at this brain wave. Researchers found you could change animals' behavior by doing this so Frost took the opportunity to make his little minions from it." Tanya wished it was running. Why couldn't it just have been running? All those judging eyes weren't once like that. Or were they. Deshi seemed the same as what was shown on TV but everyone else seemed angrier. After asking about this Deshi revealed the test didn't work on him as he was too strong in mind. Hopefully, Tanya and Hope were too. She wouldn't know if she could just let them take over her but the thought of life being easier did flash her mind.

Good things are never easy.

Everyone was called into certain rooms. Each room filled with a bunch of wires at each chair, hanging loosely with not motion. Creepy. Monitors hung above the chairs and a brain wave monitor just hung below it, the dark green background currently being blank. The room was dark and gloomy, like a shadow hiding the real world. Everyone was placed into the seats and the wires inserted into the head. The small sharp pain shot through your head, like a small headache. With everyone in place and ready to go the first beep occurred. These beeps happening at regular intervals, trying to catch your attention. Once your focus had being asserted the hypnotizing began.

The light green line on each wave monitor slowly decreased, each beep getting shallower. When almost hit parallel a video appeared. It was the same that Tanya and Hope had seen when first arriving. Full of crap. Everyone's eyes never left the screens. No movement could be made but all that went through Tanya's mind on a loop was one word.

Bullshit.

Bullshit. Bullshit. Bullshit. That is all the video was. She was paralyzed in place until the video shut down and the wave monitor line started increasing again, the annoying beep ringing through every ear. An orderly line leads everyone out and to the rooms. Deshi, Hope, and Tanya were lead to a different one. Three beds in the sides with bars around it. When the guards had left they all relaxed shaking each muscle to release the tension. Everything seemed fine. Everything seemed normal.

"Did anyone else feel there stomach churning from those faulty chicken nuggets when sat there or was that just me?" Hope spoke putting a smile onto all the faces. Deshi had finally found someone, two people in fact, who could resist the test. No matter what skills they had they were stronger than the others. It now leads to understanding one thing. How to escape. The three were on the same page.

The plan to escape had been plotted knowing when it was going to happen. The next beep test. All the soldiers wouldn't be able to move and all the guards will be focused on them. They just needed to find an escape hatch. Tumbleweeds could have strolled across the room without looking out of place now. Searching through their thoughts; it was tougher than it seemed. All the dirt on the floor started to irritate the minds. Looking for something to focus on Tanya's mind turned to the tennis ball they had left to entertain themselves with. Up and down. Up and down. Anger now seethed through each as the night carried on and no revelation was made. Throwing the ball in rage it hit the bottom of the room wall, where it passed straight through.

Hope ran to it and ripped off the rest of the doorway to freedom. A tunnel.

Guess now all they had to do was wait.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

hey guys,

hope you enjoyed chapter 6 !! it's getting exciting now hehe. i know this chapter isnt up to normal standard and a bit rushed so i want to apologize for that but i hope it still made you intrigued. if you want to see more of my work why dont you check out my other story, escape world. or you could go follow me on instagram @winterwritesstuff, i would love for you to join the family.

lots of love

winter <3