Chapter 15

Getting back to base was blissful.

Partially blissful.

Hashim ran up to Anika as she picked him up and swung her baby around. No one had seemed so relieved to come back to their child as the leader. She was strong but as Hashim had said before, she could hide her anxiety easily. Hashim then came and hugged Hope, thanking her for protecting Anika. A newfound trust had become apparent at that moment which was a lovely sight to see. Trust means everything and to break that is the highest of sins. You need trust in order to fall back on each other. You need trust in order to believe you could survive. You need trust to believe the world could be restored.

For three families, the greetings weren't so kind to them. Tanya learned all of their names when comforting each family. The first was called Juan. He had been kind to Tanya when she had once been confused about where to go for her lunch. She was terribly frustrated and tired that day and he had walked with her to the hall but also got her food with his. That kindness stuck in the young girl's mind when comforting an older woman.

It was his mother who had been living with him in the Los Elementos for two years now and they had both learned to love their life again. That love now faded as he was gone so she sat on the ground crying until her friend took her home. Losing a family member is hard but losing a child is gut-churning. Nothing could ever substitute the pain. When in the fight, he was trying to box one of Frost's soldiers after the bullets of his gun ran out. The punches weren't enough as the soldier had put him in a headlock and released a knife from their pocket. After having his throat slashed, Juan died a hero.

Next was a woman named Ivy. Tanya had seen her practicing with the knives in training; boy could she throw one if needed. The skills Ivy had were phenomenal, precise movements coming from being a chef as she once had to slice and dice vegetables and meats to exact measurements.

Her boyfriend had been waiting for the redhead to return from the trip safe and intact like the many other times she had left. Unfortunately, the sand in the hourglass had run out for Ivy as Clint, who was surrounding jasper, had a lucky shot. It hit her straight in the head piercing the brain. Tyler, who was her boyfriend, broke down in Tanya's arms. She hugged him whilst the tears kept slipping out. He had truly loved his girlfriend and Deshi took over to hear all about it. Ivy, master of knife combat, died a hero.

Finally laying her eyes upon the last family to have lost a member, Tanya wanted to vomit. Four young children still with faith their father would return stood waiting.

The mother was too distraught in losing her husband to have the courage to tell them. She was already being brave enough not breaking down right then and there. Tanya explained to the children about how their father, one of the three guards she had previously met and found out his name was Isaiah, had fought hand and foot to keep them safe. Sadly, safety wasn't guaranteed for him as he had lost his life. After seeing a young abandoned girl near the scene of the battle, he had given up his bulletproof vest to protect her so she could run to safety. She hid and was found alive after Frost retreated. Bringing her back to the base was a must as the poor girl was paper-thin, ribs sticking out through the ragged dress she wore. Isaiah traded his life for another. Isaiah died not only as a savior but a hero too.

Two days later, after discussing with both Anika and the families, Tanya held a service for the three heroes of the Los Elementos. It was beautiful. Letters to the three had been read out, all holding heartwarming stories emphasizing the personalities and attributes they had brought to the group. The breathtaking thing about the Los Elementos is that it doesn't matter how long you had been in the group or how big your family was, everyone knew everyone. Everybody interacted and loved each other, no matter how old or knowledgeable. Everyone just wanted peace and restoration. It was heaven.

When the service was over each member gave their own showing of support to each family, whether that be a hug or handshake. Everything was appreciated by them all. Tanya introduced Esmeralda, the mother of Juan, to Jaquie, the little girl who was rescued in the battle. As Tanya expected they had hit it off straight away. She knew it would take a long time for Esmeralda to get used to not being a mother, so Tanya had thought it would be nice is Esmeralda to have someone else she could look after who in exchange would look out for her too. The deal of a lifetime.

As they held hands and walked to the hut the elder owned, Tanya smiled. Family wasn't just those you were related to but the ones you love around you. Thanks to the Los Elementos she had learned that.

All had seemed to calm down in the afternoon of the cooler day. Tanya and Deshi were discussing some training times for their next session, as now they had become gym buddies which both enjoyed. It was motivational to have another person using all their integrity to battle through the pain with you. That was until Hope came running into the room breathless, followed shortly by a more stable Anika.

"What's up?"

Anika looked angered.

"Jasper is airing another speech."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey guys,

Hope you enjoyed this chapter even though it was sad. Also sorry for it being a bit shorter than normal but this is what i wanted the chapter to be focused on. if you are reading this please let me know what you are liking or just let me know what you love or that you have read it as i would love to discuss with you. if you don't already you can follow me on Instagram @winterwritesstuff , i would love to see you there!

lots of love,

Winter <3