Chapter 12

Waking up to a small child staring at you is more terrifying than you think. That is what Tanya had received when opening her eyes after the first good sleep in... forever. Hashim wasn't meaning to scare her but when it was the first thing she saw and couldn't process it fast enough it leads to the devastating aftermath of her having to take the whimpering boy to the medics after a hefty headbutt to the face.

Yeah, not the greatest first impressions to the community that had excepted you.

However, it was all sorted after a quick trip to the medic and a small plaster with a toy sheriff painted on it. Hashim then signed something to the girl which she still couldn't understand, the guilt built up every time she couldn't. This was when Tanya had told the boy to wait there while she ran, picked up, and ran back to give him a notebook. One filled with drawings she had done when imagining her old life.

Tanya's parents had pretended like the world never changed when she was born. The year she was born was the third in five steps to hell. Leaving her with two years of innocence. Unfortunately, when her parent left her at that age it had all disappeared.

Hashim's mind was blown by each little sketch and asked by writing on the paper what they were. Tanya didn't know what to put: what way could she explain it to the eight-year-old. Settling for "distant memories." she handed him the book to which he had questioned why. Her reply was simple. "I just want to talk to you." The boy smiled and signed something that Tanya looked confused at. He then pointed at the book telling her that was what he was saying. Joy filled her soul as she tried to remember how to say it back but Hashim only laughed at the jumbled mess. "At least she is trying." was his last thought before remembering the message he had to deliver. "

My mom wants you in the meeting hall." After a curse word shortly followed by an apology to the eight-year-old paired with a furious plead not to repeat the word, Tanya dashed off. This left a very confused Hashim standing all alone as he had understood none of what she had said.

Barging through the meeting hall apologizing continuously, Tanya turned bright red under all the amused stares sent her way. She was of course still in her pajamas. Nice one T.

The conversation and debate flowed easily amongst those their. Anika sat at the top of the table followed around the circle by Hope, who was staring at Anika seeming lost or dazed, Deshi then a man who she didn't know yet but seemed quite important as all his clothes were made of the finest material and pristine in state. Tanya was just slightly off from being opposite of Anika then the three men who had once pointed a gun at the trio. They must be the bodyguards or high ranked soldiers. Either way they were all secretly ripped and looked like they could demolish everyone in their path. Then there was a seat left empty next to Anika. Apparently, it was reserved for a woman named Ellie but she couldn't make it today as she didn't feel well. Poor Ellie. She must feel powerless right now.

"We need to discuss when to make a move on Jasper," Anika spoke, strong as always. This lead to many discussions. After the trio had settled in. Tonight. Tomorrow. Three weeks on Thursday. Everyone was different in answer. However, Anika took control once again saying how it needed to be soon as Jasper had announced a speech will take place in two days' time. One that was going to put a bounty on the heads of the three. Especially Tanya. Now she was regretting flipping him off but she would soon get over it.

The cogs in her brain were turning trying to find a possible way when Deshi suggested a day. "How about the day of the speech?" Everyone dismissed almost immediately but Tanya picked the idea up again.

"That's not a bad actually."

"Why?" Everyone was facing her, Deshi looking at her in the faith of having a well thought out idea.

"Well, he wouldn't be expecting it as he would be focused on delivering it but also if it is being televised then people will see the resistance. Giving those people who sit there waiting and dreaming that one day the misery will be over a chance to believe." She looked around the circular table.

"A chance to really believe the world will be restored." Anika looked at her disciples and then back to Tanya.

"Good answer kid." Relief fell over Tanya whilst Anika asked Dave, which turned out to be the man in the expensive clothing, if he could get the armor and weapons fully working before then to which he nodded. He seemed a little offended that she thought he couldn't. With that, the plan was set and everyone went to get prepared for some training. Tanya asked if Hope was coming as the elder had stopped looking back at the table. Her reply being that she will be there soon Tanya fist-bumped her and left.

Anika was cleaning up the table muttering about how seven people could be so messy. Hope picked up some of the mess trying to lift some pressure from Anika's shoulders. That was when the older woman looked up surprised. Hope was questioned as to why she was still here only to say that she was helping out. It was silent until all of the table was cleaned. That was when Anika asked why Hope seemed so infatuated by her.

This was a question Hope had been asking herself a lot since meeting Anika but no true answer could come to mind. All she could muster was that she was just intrigued. "What are you intrigued about?"

"Well, I want to get to know you more. You're very mysterious. "Anika laughed and sat back down at the table patting the seat next to her for Hope to sit too.

" I used to be a real nerd, especially in science. I loved the way things worked." She went on to talk about her life in high school and what she liked back then. Both had shared a common interest in animals which got them talking about how they both wanted to adopt dogs when they grew up but it never happened due to the downfall. That sixteen-year-old knew that the world would end when they let Jasper in charge (he was only eighteen when elected). Yet in all the madness and heartbreak, good things still came.

Hope spoke a little about herself, especially what life was like when she was ten as she was aged only that when jasper started to come into control, which the elder listened intently. It was only when she desperately had to go check in with Hashim that she left.

"Wait you haven't told me about your life since Jasper's take over!" Hope exclaimed.

"That just leaves a bit more mystery for you to find out." Anika's hair bounced as she walked away.

Who would think the nerd and the dummy would create a spark of love that day. Their once was an unwritten rule that they would be destined to break each other's hearts as the personalities shouldn't fit together. To those people who had that thought forgot that in readings of human beings...

There was always an anomaly.

================================================================================

Hey guys,

Hope you enjoy reading this chapter as much as i enjoyed writing it! This was probably my favourite chapter to write out of the whole book as what was supposed to be quite a boring chapter i ended up turning into something quite exciting. if you don't already follow me on instagram @winterwritesstuff as i post a lot of different content on there too!

lots of love

winter <3