2.

"You drive like a fucking maniac!", Jess snapped as we stepped out of my car in the school's parking lot.

"Hey, at least we're not that late.", I smirked, raising an eyebrow in her direction.

She was a gorgeous, tall skinny girl, long blonde hair with piercing blue eyes. The same blue eyes that were now staring back at me, silently murdering me at my remark.

"Right. We're just in time for the tardy bell and we haven't even picked up our schedules yet. You're right, we're not that late.", she grumbled as she angrily pushed through the double doors and into the nearly empty hallway.

"Jess, are you okay?", I cautiously asked, dropping my playful act and sensing that there was something wrong with her. "I mean, I get that you're pissed because I made us both late, but you can't be that mad at me. It's not like you actually give a shit of this place.. Is there something you wanna talk about?"

"No, I'm fine.. it's just..", she sighed hesitantly, stopping in her tracks and turning around to face me with a troubled expression.

"Hey, talk to me.."

Just as she was about to speak, the tardy bell rang, signaling that we were officially late and screwed.

"Ugh. I'll.. I'll tell you later, over lunch, okay?", she replied as she started to take off. "Go get your schedule and then text me your subjects, I really hope we have at least one class together!"

And with that she was gone. Confused and worried about what was going on with her, I made my way to the administration office.

——

As soon as I had my schedule, I rushed to my History class. I was already 20 minutes late and I honestly was about to skip it, but then my conscience kicked in. It wasn't wise to skip the first period on your first day back, was it?

I ran up to the door and knocked, waiting for the teacher to let me in. I heard footsteps on the other side of the door when it finally opened, revealing Mr. Bombay.

"García. Really?", he sighed, shaking his head and rolling his eyes.

"I know, I'm late and I'm really sorry.", I looked at him with pleading eyes. "There's been a slight hiccup with my schedule and-"

"Go take a seat.", to my surprise he cut me short, taking a step aside and letting me in. "I don't want to hear a sound from you for the rest of my class. Next time you'll get yourself detention, Miss García."

"Thank you..?", I replied uncertainly, shocked that he let me off the hook so easily. Usually he was a royal pain in the ass. I quickly entered the classroom and took the only seat available at the back of the room, determined to keep my mouth shut for the rest of the period. That's gonna be easy since I really don't know anyone in this class. I took out my book together with my phone and texted Jess my schedule:

'1st period 7.30-8.20 History
2nd period 8.30-9.20 English
3rd period 9.30-10.20 Off
4th period 10.30-11.20 Spanish
Lunch
5th period 12.30-13.20 Science'

Her answer came almost immediately:

Jess 7.59am
'We have Spanish and science together, señorita ;)'

I smiled to myself, quickly typing in a reply just to realize my history teacher was eyeing me from his desk. I smiled sheepishly and threw my phone in my bag, focusing my attention on what was left of the lecture. Boring.

My English class and my period off went by surprisingly quick as I found myself heading towards my Spanish class, grateful for the fact that my best friend was going to be there.