45.

Ashley and I both rushed to my brother's school, finding Matt pacing back and forth as one of the teachers unsuccessfully tried to calm him down. As soon as Matt and I made eye contact, he engulfed me into a tight hug, tears streaming down his face.

"I'm so sorry sis.", he sobbed into my shoulder. "I got here literally 5 minutes late, this is all my fault. I-"

"Hey, hey, calm down Matt.", I soothed, parting from our hug as I tried my best to hide my shaky voice and put on a strong face. "It's not your fault, okay? We'll find him, everything's gonna be fine."

"You don't know that..", he mumbled, looking down at his feet and wiping away his tears. "If something happens to him-"

"Miss Fletcher, correct?", I addressed the also troubled woman behind my brother, brushing him off as I didn't even want to think about what he was about to say.

"Yes, you must be Alex.", she replied, to which I nodded.

"What the hell happened?!", I half shouted, trying really hard to keep it together.

"I don't know.", she stated, sniffling her nose and shaking her head. "He was here, by my side a-and.. next thing I know, I turned around for a split s-second and he was g-gone. I'm so-"

"Is the principal here?"

"Yes, he's in his office, but-"

"A kid is missing, for fuck's sake. I don't even wanna know where that 'but' was headed.", Ashley hissed, her eyes menacing as she glared at the teacher in front of us who immediately shut her mouth. "We're going to see him, right now. You might as well make yourself useful by calling the police if you haven't done that already."

I barely even recognized her voice while she said that, let alone the look on her face. The usual politeness and kindness of her entire demeanor was gone, being replaced by anger and venom. I've never seen her like this, but this wasn't the time or place to question her about it.

She grabbed my hand and rushed me inside the building, Matt following immediately behind. We barged into the principal's office, startling him.

"Miss García, hi.", he greeted, failing miserably at hiding the surprise on his face as he took the three of us in. "What can I do for you?"

"Not lose your kids, for starters.", I gritted, earning a genuine puzzled face in return. "My brother was supposed to come pick Chase up today, but when he got here Chase was already gone and apparently none of you idiots have a clue as to whom picked him up!"

"Shit.", he mumbled, the color quickly draining from his face. "He's.. he's missing?"

"The police are on their way.", I stated angrily, deciding to ignore his pointless question. "I'm gonna need you to show me the camera footage, like right about fucking now."

"I.. I can't, Alex. You'll need a warrant f-for that, and-"

"Okay. I tried not to lose my shit so far, but Jesus!", I yelled, lunging forward and grabbing him by the collar of his shirt, harshly pushing him against the library, a few books falling out as I brought my face just inches away from his. "I'm gonna make myself as clear as possible here, got it? If something happens to that kid I swear to God I won't hesitate to kill you in the most painful way possible. My ten year old brother is fucking missing, so you might as well wanna take that as my motherfucking warrant!", I growled, my breathing becoming erratic as I glared at him.

"Y-yes Ma'am.", he replied in a trembling voice, fear never leaving his features as I let go of him to allow him to quickly stumble behind his desk, frantically typing on his keyboard.