67.

Since nothing eventful or worth mentioning happened, let's fast forward to March, shall we?

Chicago was graced once again with one of the coldest winters ever, annoying the shit out of me every time I stepped outside. Snow was covering every inch of the city and I honestly lost count of the times I slipped and fell on my ass, very much to everyone else's amusement.

I was clocking out after the umpteenth night shift, Tyler and I lazily and silently making it to the parking lot before going our separate ways.

Weirdly enough, I wasn't feeling exhausted like I usually did after pulling an all-nighter, and realizing it was almost lunch time for normal people with normal jobs, I figured I'd pick up some sandwiches and show my pretty face at Ashley's school for a change and surprise her.

After asking a random student to point me towards Ashley's class, it wasn't long before I was leaning against the doorframe, a smirk playing on my lips as I took her in. Sitting leg-crossed at her desk, she was too engrossed in whatever she was doing to even notice my presence, allowing my eyes to travel along her body. She was wearing a button up white blouse tucked in a pair of skinny black jeans, a pair of black high heels to match them. I had to smile as certain flashbacks and sexy outfits came to mind, proving to me once again that she didn't dress up nice 'just for the sake of it' when I was her student.

"Well, this certainly brings back a lot of memories.", I hummed, her eyes snapping in my direction as a wide smile made its way to her lips.

"Hey baby!", she squealed, immediately dropping what she was doing to come greet me at the door. "What are you doing here?!"

"Bringing you lunch, obviously.", I smirked, wrapping my arms around her waist and pulling her in for a kiss. "You know lunch breaks are made for people to actually eat, right?"

"And you know I hate bringing work at home.", she retorted, a cheeky grin coming my way as she pecked my lips once again. "I wanted to call you earlier but I didn't want to get in the way of your sleep.. which isn't what you should be doing, by the way?"

"Yeah well..", I trailed off as I took off my jacket and made my way inside her class, placing our lunch on her desk before sinking into a nearby chair. "Thankfully, my shift was quite uneventful, which allowed me to take a three hour power nap. And since I missed your sorry ass and I never came to see you at work, I figured I'd surprise you."

"Oh, you missed me?", she pouted as she took out our sandwiches, handed me one and sat on my lap.

"Didn't you?"

"Always.", she smirked, causing me to chuckle.

"Now eat before it gets cold, Miss Stevens.", I stuck my tongue out at her, an amused shake of the head coming my way.

We fell into a comfortable silence as we dug in, me not realizing how much I was in fact starving to death until I started eating.

I should've gotten more sandwiches.

"Is everything ready for Shay's birthday party tomorrow?", I mumbled as I swallowed the last piece of bread. "Is there anything you need me to do when I get home?"

"No baby.", she replied, her hand gently cupping my face as her thumb ran across my lower lip, no doubt getting rid of whatever food residue there was. "Everything's ready. What I need you to do is to get some rest and get ready for tonight's dinner."

Oh right, the dinner. One of Ashley's colleagues was turning 60 and he had the brilliant idea of hosting a dinner at a fancy restaurant, and I was her plus one. I really, really didn't wanna go, but it's no secret I agreed to it right away when Ashley asked.