15.

The 23rd soon came by, and I lazily woke up around 9. I was really excited since I would be picking up my Grandma at the airport soon, and I was literally counting the seconds that separated me from giving her a bear hug.

I stomped my way downstairs towards the kitchen, slowly rubbing the sleep out of my eyes when, halfway through the living room, I heard the distinctive sound of pans clashing. Groaning at the loud noise, I approached the kitchen.

"Jess, why are you getting into a fight with the kitchen utens-"

I literally froze on the spot, feeling very awake all of a sudden. I stared in disbelief while I watched the elderly woman in front of me turn around with the most infectious smile on her lips.

"Ciao amore!", she squealed in excitement as I plunged myself into her arms, speechless, happy tears streaming down my face as I was engulfed in her oh-so-familiar lavender scent.

Words couldn't even describe how her arms wrapped around me made me feel. I guess I was so used to put up a strong front each and every day, that I hadn't realized how much I missed this woman until I hugged her with all my being, until I literally broke into sobs in her loving embrace.

She was my family. She was, sadly, part of that family that abused and neglected us.. but she, of course, never even dared to touch a single hair on our heads. Nope. She always had our backs, she has always loved us more than she ever loved herself. She was the one who put me back together when I allowed myself to finally break down. She was the one that pushed me to get my shit together when I had no other choice but to do that, if I wanted my brothers back. She was the one that suggested she would move here with us from Italy as soon as shit hit the fan. But I didn't let her. I didn't want to burden her with having to raise us at such her age. But honestly I just didn't let her because I wanted to be strong for her; I wanted her to be proud of me and my brothers. And now, having her here in my arms, I felt safe.

"Hey sweetie..", she cooed, stroking my back gently as I wasn't even close to the point in which I had to let her go.

"God, I m-missed you so much Nonna!", I mumbled into her shoulder, earning a soft giggle from my Grandma.

"I missed you too, baby.", she replied with a soft voice before planting a kiss on my temple. "Come on, let me see your pretty face sweetie."

"I highly doubt it'll look even close to pretty..", I mumbled as I reluctantly let go of her, finally facing each other, me flashing her a shy smile.

"Mmmh..", she trailed off, cupping my face and turning it left to right, her eyes carefully studying my features. "You're right, it's nowhere near that.", she chuckled softly before wiping away a few stray tears from my face and kissing my forehead. "You're breathtakingly beautiful my dear."

I couldn't refrain myself from hugging her again and showering her with multiple kisses all over her face, my Grandma faintly pulling away with no success whatsoever, her contagious laugh echoing in the kitchen.

"Okay, okay! Enough already!", she chuckled, shooing me away by slapping my ass.

I stuck my tongue out at her before cracking the most genuine smile I could muster. I pulled myself on the counter and watched her while she focused back on what she was doing, which I assumed was breakfast.

"Hey, what are you doing here so early anyways?", I frowned in confusion. "I thought you weren't going to be here until one in the afternoon..?"

"Oh dear, I caught an early flight.", she started to explain while fetching some bacon from the fridge. "I honestly couldn't wait any longer to see you guys.", she smiled warmly at me, causing me to do the same. "How are things going Alex?"