19.

In a blink of an eye, I was waking up on New Year's Eve. Dylan's parents convinced Ashley to spend a couple of days with them at a cabin they own, a few hours away from town. I was happy to know she was having a good time, but I'm not gonna lie, I was hoping she'd be back by now in order to spend New Year's together. But yeah, whatever.

Shit, I'm turning into a cheesy bitch.

As for me, I just spent time with my family, basically doing whatever they wanted to do and occasionally going out with Jess, Tyler and Jason. I was grateful that Jason was there since I really didn't want to be third-wheeling along with the happy couple. Plus, he's a pretty decent and fun guy, so I really didn't mind in the end.

"Alex, look!", Chase came running into the kitchen followed by Sparky as I attempted to start making breakfast.

"Yes bud?"

"Look! I taught Sparky how to sit!"

"Oh yeah?", I smiled down at him, seeing how excited he was. "Let me see then!"

"Sparky, sit!", he then demanded, a pretentious tone in his voice as he pointed to the ground with his tiny little finger, Sparky diligently complying.

"Oh wow, good job buddy!", I gasped, ruffling his messy dark hair. "I think he deserves a treat, don't you?"

"Yeah.", he flashed me a toothy grin before reaching in his pocket and retrieving a treat, throwing it in the air for Sparky to catch it before they both disappeared in the other room.

Seeing how happy my brother has been these past few days made me realize I made the right choice about adopting Sparky: being only 4 months old he was certainly a handful since he kept leaving little surprises around the house, if you get my vibe. But it'll take a while for him to understand that he has to wait to go for a walk in order to take care of his own business. However, to my and mostly Ashley's surprise, both Matt and Chase made sure to walk him 3 times a day, feed him and eventually start training him, leaving me little to nothing to do really except taking him with me for a run.

"Hey babe.", Jess's sleepy face greeted me while entering the kitchen, taking a seat at the kitchen island across the stove in front of which I was standing. "Where's your Grandma?"

"Hey, she went out. She wanted to go to the salon to get her hair done.", I shrugged. "Why?"

"Ugh..", she groaned. "I was hoping for an edible breakfast."

"I can cook bacon and eggs you know?", I frowned in amusement. "You hungry?"

"Duh, I'm always hungry.", she rolled her eyes before smiling sheepishly at me. "I was hoping for pancakes though.."

"Your wish is granted, milady.", I teased, bowing in front of her and causing her to laugh.

"You're the best.", she smiled, leaning further on the island and resting her head on both her hands. "So, any plans for tonight?"

"Not really..", I trailed off, flipping a pancake and then eyeing her. "Matt's going to a party, Grandma is taking Chase next door to the Sullivan's house, Ashley's out of town, so that leaves me with nothing to do actually. What are you and Tyler doing?"

"No clue babe, but whatever we decide to do you're coming with us obviously."

"Do I have a choice?", I groaned, not really interested.

"Of course not."

"Whatever.", I mumbled and gave in, causing her to squeal. "Here, eat your damn pancakes."

I then leaned against the counter, watching Jess stuffing her face with food while I sipped on my coffee when my phone buzzed, revealing a text from Ashley.