38.

The following day, I made my way to Ashley's house right after school, just like she asked me to. Needless to say, I was curious about her surprise but nervous nonetheless since the only gift she ever gave me was probably worth my entire house, if not more.

Which reminds me.. I still had a lot of questions about her grandparents leaving her and Sky their inheritance, I just didn't want her to think I was greedy or interested in it cause I wasn't. I was just curious, but hesitant whether to bring it up or not.

"Hey baby.", she greeted me at the door, smiling at me and letting me in.

"Hey.", I smirked, placing a tender kiss on her lips as soon as she closed the door. "How was your day?"

"Long.", she huffed, motioning towards the kitchen as I followed. "Do you want something to eat? I'm making mac and cheese."

"You haven't eaten yet?", I frowned, taking a seat at the island as I watched her moving in the kitchen.

"Nope. During my lunch break I finished some gradings since I really didn't want to do it at home. So, want some?"

"I mean, I already had lunch but yeah.. I could eat.", I shrugged, smiling sheepishly.

"Where do you put all the food you eat?", she teased, her eyes traveling down my body.

"What can I say.. I like physical activity.", I smirked, winking at her.

"Of course you do.", she chuckled, rolling her eyes.

"So, where's my surprise?"

"I thought you didn't like surprises?"

"I'm sucking it up, so hit me.", I retorted, a cheeky grin playing on my lips.

"Dork."

I stuck my tongue out at her, watching her leave the kitchen just to reappear a few seconds later with a small red box in her hand, a tiny ribbon attached to it as I studied it. She took a seat next to me and placed it in front of me, silently waiting for me to open it.

"Well, judging by the size of it, it surely isn't another Rolex."

"You disappointed?", she teased, fully aware that I was messing with her.

"Very much, Miss Stevens.", I replied, smiling at her as I eventually opened it.

I frowned as I stared at a single key attached to a heart shaped keychain.

"A key?"

"It's a key to my place.", she whispered, causing me to bring my eyes up to hers in surprise and utter confusion.

"Say what now?"

"Well, since you've made it an habit to just show up to my door, I figured you could use one.", she halfheartedly joked, releasing a nervous laugh before grabbing my hand and squeezing it. "Maybe it's too soon, maybe I'm just scaring the shit out of you, and you don't have to take it if you don't want it.. The school year isn't over yet, so if you decide to take it you should use it wisely, but I totally get it if this is too much. It's just my way of telling you that I am serious about us and that I see a future with you, and I want you to feel free to come over whenever you want. I-"

I cut her off by cupping her face and bringing her lips to mine, effectively shutting her up for good. I was on cloud nine, to be honest. This woman kept sweeping me off my feet over and over again without even trying, and now she wanted me to have a key to her house.

A fucking key to her house. Like, hello?

"You sure ramble a lot, Ash.", I teased as we parted, my hand tucking a strand of hair behind her ear.