Chapter 2 The Lady

Emeleth Carol Jones was up before dawn. She had chores to do. She had already started a fire in the stove, heated water and washed up. She was in the progress of making breakfast and kneading dough for todays bread. Her clothing had been her mother's and she had shortened the hem as she was a considerably shorter and tinier woman. In her three petticoats, heavily pleated skirt and over-skirt she felt dwarfed by the amount of cloth covering her and was already nearly shapeless before she added the apron. "Mandy, get a move on!" Her younger sister Amanda, the beautiful one, was not a morning person and moving slow.

"I'm coming Em, no need to shout." Just looking at Amanda made Emeleth smile. Manda was tall like her mother with dark red-brown hair. At only sixteen she was already the prettiest young woman in Abilene. She impressed every male to cross her path. But Amanda, unlike Emeleth, was painfully shy. "Why do you insist on always wearing that ugly skull cap and hiding you hair. You might even look pretty, Em. You have nice hair, and those thick spectacles hide your face." Emeleth smiled at her younger sister and laughed.

"HA! My hair is as straight and thick as a horses mane. The cap keeps it out of the way when I cook and do the laundry at Uncle Ben's Hotel."

"Your hair's the color of a copper penny and with just a hint of waves."

"Yup, like the tail on our old chestnut mare."

"You're never gonna catch you a man Em," Amanda said. Emeleth laughed in response.

"What would I do with one? Between Pa and the twins I have enough men in my life." Amanda joined her and took over the bread making. The bacon was finished and using a fork Emeleth transferred the bacon to to a serving plate.

"Do you ever miss her, Em?"

"Mom?" Emeleth asked. Amanda nodded. "Very much, I remember her very well."

"I don't any more. I can't seem to remember anything from my childhood." Amanda finished kneading the bread and began to grease the bread pans.

"You were only six when she passed."

"You were sixteen."

"And being the eldest it was my job to take care of everyone. I promised Mom I would." Emeleth flipped the eggs over she had been frying.

"Eldest girl, Em, the twins are older."o

"Mom always called me the responsible one." She transferred the eggs on two plates walked them to the table.

"Where's Pa?" Amanda said.

"In jail again."

"What for this time?" Amanda sighed and shook her head.

"He got drunk and started a fight."

"Where's the twins?"

"They weren't in their room this morning so its just you and me for breakfast."

"That's fine with me, can I have the extra bacon?"

"Of course, you'll need your strength. We strip and change the beds and have laundry to do at the hotel."

"Its Wednesday already again!" Amanda said in a woebegone voice. Emeleth laughed at her little sister and using both hands removed the heavy iron skillet from the stove.

"Lets eat and let the bread rise." Amanda had already divided the dough into several loaves so working together the dough was placed in the greased pans to rise and they sat for breakfast. Emeleth asked, "Do you want to bring Pa breakfast in jail or take care of the chickens?"

"The chickens, I won't set foot in town by myself."

"I'd go with you Mandy."

"Lets do the chores together then go. I'll bet Pa's not even awake yet."