Chapter 20 Firestorm

"How bad is it," David asked. They had all gathered in the sitting room. The mood in the house was somber. No one had gone to bed. Smoke and fire could be see across the city to the south.

"Everything is made of wood. Including all of the sidewalks and some of the streets. The wind has been picking up."

"We have been having drought conditions in Abilene," Emeleth said, "how about here? Have you been under a drought." Greg nodded.

"We are will equipped to handle a fire. We have over a hundred designated fire fighters and seventeen steam powered pumping engines and multiple hand pumpers. We get a lot of fires and they are usually put down fast

"Where did it start," Stephanie asked.

"On DeKoven Street," Gregory said. "The Chicago River will act as a barrier and protect the rest of the city. If it gets worse I will need to go and help. They have already called for volunteers on the south side."

"I hope it doesn't come to that," Patricia said.

Later when they discovered that the fire had jumped the river and was headed to the business district and the ares of warehouses and lumber yards. David, Gregory and Sean responded to the call for help and joined the exhausted firemen to work the hand pumps as water was poured onto the fire. The wind continued to pick up and the burning buildings took on the appearance of a fire tornado. The heat was so fierce the buildings adjacent to the one burning spontaneously burst into flame. The evacuation was surprisingly orderly as crowds of people fled the fire.

Patricia, Stephanie, Amanda and Emeleth went to the local Congregational Church to volunteer. People were needed to make bread and soup to feed the displaced and treat any burns or injuries. Emeleth was extremely busy. She treated hundreds of minor burns, served soup and hot coffee to the firefighters coming in to take a rest and hundreds of refugees who had lost everything. Some of the volunteers were reduced to tears by the suffering they witnessed and she comforted them. Amanda stood resolute at her side.

They heard that the city's pumping house and water tower had caught fire and the tower collapsed. The city had lost its water supply over some areas and these would have to be left to burn. The desperation and fear of the people who came in drove Emeleth to greater activity. She did not stop to rest but drove herself to serve those that came on for shelter or rest. She was every where, serving food, dressing burns, comforting families and helping with children and babies.

"I heard you're a countess or something," a young woman standing next to her said.

"Or something," Emeleth responded smiling and blushing, "I'm here to help like everyone else."

"She's a Viscountess," Stephanie said as she finished applying a burn dressing to a fireman.

Patrica and Emeleth were standing together serving soup and coffee. Emeleth turned to Patricia, "I'm not sure if I like being a Viscountess. I'm just a country girl."

"It all comes down to how to treat people, especially those who have less than you or who can't provide you with anything. You are a generous and caring woman. That is really all that counts."

"I hope you are right. I don't want my title to change me."

"I doesn't have to. I myself am the daughter of a Duke. And I consider myself rather down to earth."

"I didn't know you father is a duke."

"What has David told you about me?"

"You were introduced to Greg as Keith's friend." Patricia laughed in response.

"I'm Jenna's twin. She married Keith."

"Do you miss England?"

"Yes and no, my life here has been wonderful. I do miss Jenna."

"Do you miss your father?"

"NO!" Patricia blushed, "I guess I should, but he was never kind to us. I felt like he didn't approve of females. He disowned Jenna when she ran off with a man."

"Kieth?"

"No some one who was after her money. She figured that out and avoided marriage but it ruined her reputation. But Keith loved her and they were happy."

"I'm sorry for Jenna's loss."

"It's OK. I did elope with Greg," Patricia said with a devious smile, "he took me to Gretna Green no less."

"What did you father do?"

"He disowned me too."

"I disowned my father."

"Yes, David told Greg about what he did and Greg told me."

"Do you still love your father?" Emeleth asked in a whisper.

"Yes, I know you do too."

"Yes, he is my Pa."

"Would you like some advice to help your survival as a Viscountess?"

"Yes, I would appreciate that so much."

"Stop making your bed."

"What!"

"Servants are paid to do things. They for the most part enjoy their roll and are to some extent fearful of not being needed. My maid has been complaining that you make your own bed. Let them work and don't forget to show gratitude."

"Like David treats Sean. Like a friend sort of."

"Exactly, they are in many ways part of the family. In other words just relax and find other outlets for your energy."

"My biggest fear is idle time, I've never handled it well."

"Find ways to serve people, like you're doing now. Do that and you will be happy."

By the third day the fire came under control. One third of the city has burned and the cinders were still to hot to allow entry. The volunteer firemen were released and Gregory and his party returned home and discovered the women missing. Gregory found a note and they started to walk over to the Congregational Church.

The city government had set up a provisional office in the church to maintain order and city services. The church was crowded. Eventually they found the four women huddled together against the back wall sleeping. Amanda was perched on Emeleth's lap with her head resting on her shoulder. Their clothes were wrinkled and dirty. Their hair was still rolled in a tight bun and their hair and faces smudged with soot. Amanda held a small black and white long haired dog in her lap. The dog stared balefully at David as he approached.