Chapter 13 Manda Remembers

"You were really quiet on the ride home," Emeleth said. Her sister looked tense and pale. She touched her and discovered she was shivering.

"I'm remembering stuff," Amanda whispered. "Do you remember Toby?"

"That is what you called that scraggly little kitten that lived in the barn."

"Yes."

"It ran away I think. You used to dress it in doll clothes and carry it around. It was a cute little cat," Emeleth said as she held her sister. "What an odd memory to have."

"Em, can I sleep with you tonight?"

"Of coarse you can, we used to sleep together all the time."

"It was the only way I could sleep after Mom died."

"If you remember more feel free to tell me. I will always be here for you Butterball." Amanda started to cry.

"Mom always called me that."

"Do you remember why?"

"No."

"You loved butter and you had just started walking." Emeleth smiled at the memory and hugged her sister tighter and continued. "She would find teeth marks in the butter after she made it and salted and formed it. I caught you bitting into it. We both laughed so hard and started calling you Butterball."

"Your so lucky Em," Amanda said as she mopped away some of her tears and smiled at her sister.

"Why is that lil' sis."

"You remember Mom and I don't."

"Perhaps that's going to change."

"I'm really scared Em," Amanda whispered after another onslaught of quiet tears.

"When you do remember do what I do. Just dwell on the good ones. There are plenty of them. Mom loved you as do I and the twins. Don't ever forget that. Let's get to bed, tomorrow is a busy day."

*******

Amanda was in the loft behind a pile of straw. She had Toby and was dressing it in clothes she had removed from her doll. Mom had sewed the clothes for her doll and she owned an identical dress. It was her favorite dress. She heard voices and two people walked into the barn. A male voice was angry and slurred and shouting. She watched in horror and the woman was beat then seized by the hair and dragged up the steps to the loft. She did not understand the words that were said but the woman was crying and begging. Then the man lifted the woman and threw her off the loft. The man was huge. Then she saw her father's face looming over her. He spoke to her in a hushed angry voice, "You tell anyone this will be you." He grabbed Toby and twisted the cat's neck. She heard it crack. Then he walked away and flung the now limp cat.

Amanda screamed. She had been restless in her sleep and mumbling so Emeleth was already awake. When Amanda screamed Emeleth reached for her holding her trying to sooth her. "You're OK baby," Emeleth whispered. "You're safe, it was I dream. I'm here." Amanda looked around the room confused. Her hair was plastered to her head from sweat. Emeleth was holding her. She was trembling all over and realized she had wet the bed. Tears of terror and shame followed.

"He killed her!" she whispered.

"It was a dream," Emeleth whispered, "I'll help you change your gown and night shirt and we can move to my bed."

"I'm remembering Em."

"Let's get you dry and then tell me all about it." 
M