Chapter 17 Viscountess Em

The little chapel was crowded with well wishers for Emeleth. David was dressed in his usual black and Sean was at his side as best man. Emeleth had insisted that both of her brothers give her away so she walked up the isle to David dressed in her sky blue dress and wide brimmed hat flanked by the twins. David noted that she smiled radiantly as did the maid of honor Amanda. As she approached he noticed that she walked barefoot to stand next to him. David had written his entire name and title on a cue card for the pastor who had initially inquired if this was a joke but David assured him it was no joke.

David and Emeleth stood facing each other holding hands. The pastor started, "Do you, Viscount David Michael Xavier Evans St. Greer take this woman to be you wife..." Emeleth looked at him surprised and quizzical. David simply nodded and mouthed 'my name'. Then the pastor started to address Emeleth, "Do you Emeleth Carol Jones..." and with the final 'I do' they became man and wife. There were endless rounds of congratulations. Even Old Man Canfield had come to the wedding. Then everyone began to make their way to the breakfast.

"What's this Viscount thing?" Emeleth asked as they walked holding hands.

"I'm a Viscount and you're my Viscountess."

"Is that like a prince?"

"No Cinderella," David laughed. "a prince is first tier, I'm only third tier."

"Only third tier!"

"My father the Marquess is second tier...of course."

"Of course. What will everyone call me?"

"Viscountess Emeleth or Lady Em if you prefer."

"What shall I call you?"

"David or if your up set with me Grumpy." Emeleth laughed.

"Why didn't you tell me you were this count thing?"

"I did I mentioned I had inherited considerable properties."

"You didn't say you were noble."

"I'm not, I'm just a cowboy."

"What do we call Manda?"

"Lady Manda, I have twin nieces who are her age and eager to meet her."

"I may have bitten off way to much."

"If gentle society is to much we can come here. My first priority is your happiness Lady Em."

"I don't feel like a lady."

"In every way you truly are. I did arrange for a band and dancing this evening."

"How did you manage that?"

" I rented the banquet hall over two weeks ago, before some pretty little hooligan shot me. I wanted it for your birthday. It was going to be a surprise. The wedding and everything just fell into place, by the way, happy birthday my lady."

"Who all knew about the party?"

" Manda, she has arranged the decorations. I think all your cousins are there now decorating. Your brothers knew and your aunt Jane of course."

"No body mentioned this too me!" Emeleth said, "not a single word. I always know what is going on, Davey you are a scoundrel!"

"It worked out better than I thought. I was going to purpose at the party,"

"I really didn't mean to shoot you."

"I know, you were trying to save me and Manda. You are one courageous lady. I hope you realize how important you are to me, how much I love you."

"I don't feel courageous. I've always felt like everything was spinning out of control and I was powerless."

"Your brothers have told me a lot about the time before you jumped from the loft. What you were like and how much they missed that side of you."

"Then why were they so mean?"

"I don't know, not really, but part of it was your father's influence, part of it was their anger over what they saw as the loss of a treasured little sister."

"I tried hard to be a scolding, disapproving, frumpy..."

"Shrew?" David added with a wicked smile.

"Why didn't they tell me how they felt?"

"They're just guys, and we hardly ever think things out."

"I noticed that. You didn't think it through about living with me."

"I'm looking forward to constantly being surprised. Your brothers said something that may interest you."

"What was that?"

"They will come to England and 'beat my ass' or some part of my anatomy if I ever hurt or abuse you."

"They did!"

"Yes they did and they mean it."

"How nice of them," Emeleth laughed until she had tears in her eyes. "I need to tell them how much I love them."

"We have a few hours before the party. Your sister is off decorating with most of your extended family. No one would notice if we disappeared. No one would come looking for us. No one would even guess what we were up too."

"I'm sure they will know what we were up to," Emeleth teased, "you get this 'happy' look that is hard to miss."

"What happy look?"

"You know, the 'I just got laid look'."

"You've seen it before?"

"Oh yes, at the saloon when cowboys come back downstairs. And on your face after you've had you way with me."

"Do girls get that look too?"

"Follow me to your room cowboy and you can tell me."

The party was a success. Jane and her staff of extended family had provided tasty finger foods and a large birthday cake with twenty-five candles. David only got to dance twice with his barefoot bride as everyone insisted on a dance. Even Old Man Canfield claimed two dances. David enjoyed watching her as she danced. He watched her dance with her brothers and he saw tears in all of their eyes. Amanda we exuberant. The painful shyness that plagued was banished at least for the night. She stood straight and smiled as she danced with David.

"Will you be sad to leave this place?" David asked.

"Yes and no," Amanda said, "I've always been frightened and could not understand why. Em has always been my guardian angel."

"A fierce little angel," David teased.

"I wish I had her strength."

"You really do. You protected those you love by not remembering. In your own way you were keeping them safe."

"I wish Pa would be made to pay for what he did."

"He will, but the law can't touch him. The long forgotten memories of a six year old would not stand up in court. But everyone here knows and that is powerful punishment."

"Can I steal my husband back from you Amanda dear?" Emeleth said as she approached.

"Of course you can Emeleth dear."

"Oh I like this," David said, "two beautiful women fighting over me."

"You COWBOY!" Emeleth said haughtily, "I saved the last dance for my sister." The sisters laughed and Emeleth danced with David.