Chapter 8 Calico Beans

Emeleth carried a large covered pot and Amanda a pie as they walked into the hotel kitchen after crossing the dining room. David had seen her enter the dining room and came to assist. "What's all this for?" he asked

"It's the fourth Sunday so we break the fast with a community meal." Her Aunt Jane walked into the kitchen.

"I see you made calico beans," Jane said, "and apple pie for the break fast."

"Phoebe suggested it and we started cooking last night," Emeleth said. "Can we leave it here until the service." Jane nodded.

"Last night?" David asked.

"It needs to simmer that long to bring out the flavors."

"Did you eat breakfast?" David asked.

"We fed Pa and the boys but we're fasting," Amanda said.

"We have plenty of time to change," Emeleth said, "so could we use your tub again?"

"Be my guest, Sean is out on an errand for me." Emeleth and Amanda smiled brightly and walked to David's suite.

"David, may I speak to you for a bit?" Jane asked.

"I'll currently displaced from my room, so yes."

"I saw you and Em dancing last night. I need to thank you for your encouragement of her to dress better and especially to dance. It's been such a long time for her. She used to love to dance. Even Manda is standing taller and not stooping."

"I really like Emeleth."

"I really don't want to see her heart broken, David."

"I wouldn't either. I'm guessing but you're asking me my intentions?"

"Yes I am."

"I told Em I intend to court her and marry her."

"What did she say?" Jane looked surprised.

"She told me she has no intention of ever marring but did say I could court her."

"I can understand her reluctance to marry with only her father as the role model. When she broke her leg she was told she would never walk again. But that didn't stop her one bit. She asked me and Amanda to help her. We struggled for an entire winter. I could she she was hurting but she persisted."

"She's a strong willed woman," David said, "A remarkably strong willed lady."

"Some would say mule stubborn," Jane replied. She then looked into David's eyes with a determined look, "We love her and don't want to see her hurt."

"I understand, I love her too."

"One more question, you know you'll getting her younger sister if she agrees to marry you. Can a cowboy support an instant family?"

"I realize they are a package deal. I have recently inherited some income properties back home, so yes, I can support them."

David waited at his door until Emeleth opened the door for him. Both young women had put their hair up again and were wearing their new dresses. "I think we can wear them home today. The whole town will have seen us by now and Pa will just have to adjust."

"Your not wearing shoes."

"It rained last night and I don't want to get my new shoes wet and muddy."

"Your feet will get wet and muddy, Em."

"I'll just have to wash them again."

"Is Sean coming to church?" Amanda asked.