Chapter 25 Busks

Amanda was standing at the mirror as she was assisted into her new corset. Her maid was adjusting the lacing while Emeleth, Stephanie, Patricia and Jenna with her daughters watched. "Don't lace me up too tight," Amanda pleaded.

"It's not meant to be overly tight," Jenna said, "a girls got to breathe."

"It's tighter than any I've ever worn before."

"It's you fist really fitted one," Emeleth said reassuringly. "It will help your posture and support your breasts. You have a fantastic figure Manda." Jenna stepped around to face Amanda. She held in her hand a long wide but thin piece of whale bone. She put her fingers into Amanda's corset between her breasts and locating the narrow pocket slid in the whale bone.

"What's that?" Amanda said looking surprised.

"It's a busk. It was mine when I was your age. It will help with your posture. You tend to hunch over."

"Take it out, it's not comfortable."

"You can take it out for meals or when we go out," Jenna said, "once your posture is corrected you wont need it."

"You cried when Mama made you were that thing," Patricia teased.

"Yes, but it gave me a good posture, that was what is was for. Kim and Jennie didn't need to wear one." Emeleth stood next to Amanda and hugged her reassuringly.

"I always thought the word busk meant to preform or pretend," Emeleth said.

"It does," Jenna said, "street performers are called busker's. But so is the bone insert. OK girls, balance these books on you head and walk around. Remember, grace, poise. You all move so lady like. Except you Em, you march like a general," That comment had all the young women laughing. Emeleth laughed so hard she dropped the book.

"Em has always been in charge," Amanda teased.

"We need to practice the art of the curtsy today too," Jenna said.

"I can do that," Amanda said.

"Actually it not that easy," Patricia said. "It varies with the rank of the person you are greeting."

"FIDDLESTICKS!" Emeleth said, "so many rules."

"As an American and a Viscountess most of your lapses will be overlooked," Jenna said, "but less so for Manda and Steph."

"You mentioned we are receiving guests today," Emeleth said.

"Yes, David's cousin Sidney."

"OH! I hope Nat comes too!" Stephanie gushed.

"I'm sure he will," Patricia said smiling at her daughter.

"Then our brother will be visiting," Jenna whispered.

"Do you think Winston will be civil?" Patricia said caustically.

"I hope so, he was really nasty when you ran off with Greg."

"I'm sure Davey will intimidate him," Emeleth said, "he growls like a grizzly bear."

"Yea, I seen him run off my Pa with a growl." Amanda said with a giggle.

"We really need to work on your English," Jenna said teasingly, "I've hired an elocutionist, she starts next week."

The family was seated in the library when Nigel knocked discreetly and Sidney and Nat were admitted.

"I must extend my apologies Lady Jenna," Sidney said smoothly, "I should have come sooner but Keith's accident made we reluctant to disturb you." Jenna had extended her hand and Sidney held it. Nat smiled sheepishly at Stephanie who smiled shyly back. Emeleth's first impression of Sidney was mixed. He had the air of a seasoned busker. He appeared sincere but Emeleth did not buy it. Smoke was sitting on Amanda's lap emitting a low growl. Smoke usually liked everyone, but not Sidney. The conversation was centered on how David and Emeleth met and their trip to London.