Chapter 5 Egg Money

Emeleth was in odd mood. She felt strangely happy, almost giddy. She slipped out of bed being careful not to wake Amanda and dressed quickly. She brushed out her hair and, on a whim, left it uncovered in a long loose pony tail. She thought she would alter their routine and took care of the livestock first, milked the cow, and then started breakfast before waking her sleeping sister.

"Em, you shouldn't have let me sleep in so long," Amanda said yawning.

"You worked hard yesterday lil' sis, so just this once I let you sleep. You can help me with breakfast. I hear the men stirring."

"Lil' sis! Heck I'm taller!"

"You'll always be my little sister Manda." Emeleth hugger her.

"You did raise me."

"I think I've done a pretty good job of it."

"You don't really know, I might yet turn out to be bad." Emeleth laughed at her statement.

"Naw, that's ..." their teasing was interrupted by William as he walked in to the kitchen. His hair was dirty and tussled, his face had five days beard growth and he was wearing his dirty trousers. His eyes were red and puffy; his lashes crusted with dried matter. It looked like he had slept in his clothes. His braces were hanging down and he was not wearing a shirt.

"Stop your foolish jabbering, I got me a damn headache!"

"Morning Pa," they said in unison.

"What are you two so damn chipper about? What's cooking?"

"We got fresh eggs, bacon and hot cakes." Jake and Fred wandered in and took their seats.

"I went over the work you did and the jobs you posted on the board," Emeleth said," "I organized everything and made out the bills. Everything is in its usual place."

"Where were you two last night? Freddy saw you come in late." William asked.

"We worked late in the kitchen; the hotel was really busy with the cattle drive coming in."

"I saw you two with some cowboys coming in real late," Freddy said, "you two ain't whore'n around are ya?" Amanda gasped. Emeleth face reddened and she pursed her lips tight and thought of answering with the heavy iron skillet."

"No one's that hard up enough to take to ugly little Em," William said and the three men laughed. Emeleth held her tongue as she served breakfast. She was proud that the food ended up on plates and not laps. Amanda was silent and kept her focus on her plate. Emeleth noticed that she ate very little. Amanda continued her silence as the men left for chores, and through the cleanup, and bread baking. Emeleth saw a few tears sliding down Amanda's cheek. She approached her quietly and hugged her tight and Amanda gave into her sobs. "It's OK Mandy," Emeleth said as she handed her sister a handkerchief she pulled from her apron pocket. She continued to hug her and kissed the crown of her head.

"Why are they always so mean?" Amanda asked. "They are really mean to you! They scare me, I'm not strong and brave like you. What will happen when they finally notice me?"

"I'll protect you Mandy. I won't let them hurt you. They're all lucky they didn't get breakfast dumped on their heads."

"I would so have loved to see that." The tears had given way to smiles at Em's suggestion of serving them breakfast not on the plate.

"Don't give them a thought. I got plans for us."

"Yea chores," Amanda said with a little laugh.

"No, it's time we spend the tip and egg money. The chores are done."

"How much can we spend?"

"Enough for your new dress and shoes."