Chapter 12 Pettibone Creek

"Where did you manage to get the buggy," Emeleth asked as David helped her and Amanda into the buggy.

"I rented it, What's in the basket it smells delicious," David said.

"You'll have to wait Davey. It's a surprise."

"Any hints?" David asked.

"Should we just tell him, Mandy?" Emeleth asked she had a wicked smile.

"It's fried skunk bottom," Amanda said and laughed.

"And possum belly pie," Emeleth added, "and fermented gopher juice."

"Sounds yummy," David replied.

"Where are you taking us anyway?" Emeleth asked.

"There is the very nice place near a creek. It has some willow trees and it's far enough out of town to give us some privacy," David said while thinking and it's open enough so no one could sneak up on us.

"You're taking us to the pond on Pettibone Creek," Emeleth said.

"You know the place?"

"Ma would take us there. Manda do you remember swimming in the creek?"

"If you want to swim I'll hold your dresses," David teased. "I promise not to peek to much, at least not enough to get caught."

"I bet you would," Emeleth teased him back.

"I don't remember anything Em," Amanda said, "my earliest memory is the day you fell."

"Maybe today will bring back happy memories," David said. "You both look so pretty today, new dresses?"

"No these are old ones. We usually save them for Sundays."

"Em did take hers in." Amanda said, "so it fits her better."

"Well it's good to be out on such a nice day with two beautiful young women."

"How did you learn about this spot?" Emeleth said.

"Your brother's told me."

"You talked to them?"

"We have played pool a couple of times. I talk to them regularly."

"I didn't know that."

"Yup, they told me about some of your tom boy stunts when you were younger. You were a real hoyden."

"I was not, I've always been a perfect lady," Emeleth said primly.

"Now who's telling tales?" Amanda said and laughed. "We used to get into all kinds of trouble. I'm remembering some stuff now."

"Some stuff that I'll never live down now that you remember," Emeleth teased.

"Yea, I can get rich blackmailing you," Amanda said with a devilish smile.

"This is the place!" Emeleth said happily. David slowed the buggy to a stop and stepped down. Then after securing the horse assisted the sisters down. "The trees are bigger but the creek smaller. Do you remember this place Mandy?"

"A little I think." Amanda looked about unsure.

"This is private property. Did you get permission to come here?" Emeleth asked.

"I talked to Old Man Canfield," David said.

"How did you meet him?"

"Your brothers introduced us and I asked permission."

"I'm surprised, he's not very friendly," Amanda interjected.

"When I told him I wanted to take you both here for a picnic he agreed. He had a lot to say about you, Em."