Chapter 22 Liverpool

November 14, 1871

Emeleth and her group that included Amanda, Stephanie and several other young women from all the variety of social classes aboard found themselves a cozy area on the quarter deck that had plenty of warm sun and little wind. They spent much of their energy talking, occasionally falling into gossip. Emeleth's episode of being caught room hopping in the early morning with nothing on but a scanty scandalously short shift or shirt was fodder for much of the gossiping and speculation. No one had approached her for an explanation. The largest most intensely debated area of ships gossip was who was with whom on any given night. The ship had a library and Emeleth spent a lot of time reading. Especially during those intervals when a passing squall made little else possible, except for snuggling which was Emeleth's preferred activity for rough seas. The food was excellent and they partook of four of the five meal provided per day. The dog was a great source of amusement for Emeleth and her group of voyage friends. The little dog was a clown and loved the attention lavished on it. It was eager to please and easily learned to do tricks. The sad part of voyaging is fact that voyages end. And those friendships made end too when the passengers disperse.

The pump house at the Albert Dock was the first indication they were approaching Liverpool. There was a dusting of snow on the ground and low buildings lined the area behind the docks. The perfusion of huge sailing ships were dwarfed buy the steam ship. There was a sheltered area to disembark and two rail tracks for horse drawn trams. Behind that the grand buildings of the city stood. Everything inclining the docks, roads and buildings were made from blocks of stone. The level of activity and the accompanying noise was far different then the sounds of Emeleth's cattle town home. Everything fascinated her. When she first stepped ashore she had difficulty balancing as the ground beneath her no longer moved and she laughed at this unexpected part of returning to solid ground. She clung to David's arm until she was stable enough to walk.Their luggage came ashore and gathering it up they sought accommodations until David could arrange transportation. He believed his family was in London not St. Greer so he sent telegrams and they relaxed and waited. Sean departed to a pub pledging to join them later. They had everything including their luggage at the hotel so David gave him leave.

Patricia and Emeleth were trailing behind the others as they approached the hotel each carrying a large hat box when Patricia was hailed. "Jenna what are you doing in Scotland, I just left..." Patricia turned to the person who had hailed her.

"I'm sorry, I'm not Jenna," then she recognized the young man that hailed her, "Jerry!"

"Lady Pat," Jerome said as he embraced her fondly.

"This is David's new wife, Emeleth." Jerome bowed to her took her extended hand.

"Viscountess..."

"Just call me Em. Everybody does."

"The Marquess sent me here to fetch you all home. Been here since yesterday."

"Come with us, David is inside ordering everyone around," Emeleth teased.

"Ah, he's still the Major." Jerome teased.

"Davey...look who we found," Emeleth said as they entered the lobby. David turned to see his younger brother and they embraced.

"So you tired of the cowboy life bro?"

"No, father ordered me home. And I met Em had had to take her along."

"What! You brought the entire population with you."

"No, just a few. Jerry this is my sister-in-law Amanda." He smiled at her and Amanda who actually looked into his eyes and had a genuine smile on her lips.

"Call me Manda," she said softly and blushed.

"And this is my daughter Stephanie," Patricia said.

"I don't expect that you remember me Stephanie."

"I most certainly do." Stephanie smiled brightly at Jerome.

"I'm not at all certain if that's a good thing," Jerome teased.

"You were very nice to me most of the time and then you would pull my pig tails."

"My behavior now has greatly improved at least part of the time."

"How's cousin Sid," David asked.

"Outside of being an utterly and insufferable pomps ass he's fine. Nat wanted to come and get you too but big brother Sid forbade him."

"So Nat still is dominated by his brother. What do you think of Steven Greene?"

"The family lawyer? Let me quote Shakespeare, 'first we will kill the lawyers.'"

"Henry the fifth," David said.

"Wrong Henry," Jerome laughed. "I'm impressed Davey, I thought you only read dime novels."

"Let's keep this a secret. I've steadfastly denied reading."

"Too late, Jenna's girls have found your stash of dime novels and have been burning through them. Looks like I'll need to hire a second coach to get you all home. Is Sean still with you?"

"Yes."

"Good he promised to teach me some card tricks."

"Hey! Did I hear my name mentioned?" Nat said as he walked toward the group. "Hi Stephanie. Stephanie was blushing bright red as he embraced her and kissed her cheek. "I knew you were coming and nothing could keep me away."

"How did you know?," Patricia said.

"I wired him Mama, we have been writing for a couple of years," Stephanie said sheepishly.

"What's Sidney going to say, Nat," Jerome asked.

"I don't care. I simply had to see Steph, so I did." The second rounds of introductions followed.

"You and Jerome don't look much alike," Emeleth whispered.

"We are half brothers. Keith's mother was Rachel, I never met her. My mother, Julian died when I was nearly ten. My father was in his early fifties when he married Rosemary. She was a widow and she gave him Nathaniel."

"Who are Sidney and Nat?"

"My cousins. They are my father's brothers sons. Sidney and Kieth are about the same age but Nat and Jerome are twenty I think."

"That's quite an age gap between all of you."

"Yes, large enough that we weren't that close growing up. Luckily I got to know them all well when I recovered from my injuries."

"So far I like your family, age gaps and all."

"Talking about age gaps, it looks like I robbed the cradle," David said with a wicked smile. Emeleth laughed at his statement.

"Girls just mature sooner than boys, you just caught up with me, that's all."

"You're right about that. You led me on a merry chase."

"A girl can't make it too easy."

Their entire party took up six rooms at the hotel. They were not able to get adjacent rooms and their constant traveling between rooms was a source of curiosity for the staff and other guests. The light dusting of snow upon their rival gave way to rain that seemed to never end. But it did little to dampen Emeleth, Stephanie or Amanda's spirit who enjoyed all the sights of the ancient city. Jerome and Nat seemed eager to offer their companionship. They spent a week in Liverpool then using a train and carriage arrived travel weary and bone tired at the London address.