Chapter 7 Midsummer Dance

William and the twins joined the young women at the breakfast table. Emeleth had a large pan and the tea kettle on the stove to heat water for the laundry. "If you'll bring your clothes out we're doing laundry today," Emeleth said.

"You were out late last night and we had to get our own supper again," William said.

"Pa, where's the pig?" Amanda asked.

"Sold it," William replied.

"Did you get a good price?" Jake asked.

"I owed money to some English fellow, but my luck will change soon."

"I saw you with some cowboys coming in late," Jake said.

"They were bringing their laundry," Emeleth said, "we're taking in extra laundry."

"That's good, it's about time you both contributed to this family," Williams said.

"I think we carry our load quite well," Emeleth replied rather primly.

"You're not to old for a good whipping for your smart mouth," William said angrily pointing a finger at her. Emeleth held her tongue.

"We're going to the church dance tonight," Amanda said.

"Just get you chores done, don't give a damn what you do."

"Yes Pa."

"I heard some talk about you both being seen at a fancy restaurant," Jake said. The young women kept silent and Amanda's face reddened. "But they said the women were dressed up to the 'T' and both were pretty. So it definitely wasn't our Em."

"Were you out with a friend Manda?" William asked.

"I spent the entire day with Em, Pa."

"Well with the pig gone and no milking to do. I'm happy to see you both taking in laundry. Your Ma would be pleased."

"Are any of you going to the church dance?" Emeleth asked.

"We have our own plans," William said. "The saloon has dancing. You could dance there Manda," he said looking at her in a way that frightened Amanda and alerted her sister.

"She's sixteen Pa," Emeleth said. "She's happy with the church dance." William shrugged his shoulder. Once they finished cleaning up after breakfast and put the bread in the oven to bake they took the hot water into the yard and filled the laundry tub.

"It's so good to get out of that hot kitchen," Amanda said.

"Lets wash David and Sean's stuff first so it will be dry in time."

"I'm so excited Em."

"It's just a dance, but I'm excited too!" Emeleth then laughed and they sang together as they did the laundry. They had some of the laundry washed, dried, iron and folded. The beds made with fresh linen and the last of the clothes on the drying line. "We can take the rest in and fold it tonight. Lets take David and Sean their stuff now."

"I can't believe they are actually going to let us use that bath tub," Amanda said.

"Bring your hair brush and hair pins. Let's do our hair up and look our best."

"How will people react to us walking into the hotel again?"

"We're delivering laundry. No one will notice."

David stood quietly outside the door to his room holding two roses. He could hear Em and Manda singing in his room. People passing by his room paused and he smiled at them. The the door cracked open and Emeleth said softly "We're ready," and David entered his room.