Chapter 18 Chicago

They sat together on the bed they shared and David presented Emeleth with wrapped package. "Happy birthday Sweetheart."

"What did you get me, Davey."

"Not much really. You have really given me so much more as I got you today. I hope you like it." Emeleth opened the package and then with a surprised look removed the object gingerly.

"You got me a gun!"

"It's a derringer. It fires two shots, the barrels are one over the other."

"It is a pretty little gun," she said looking dubious.."I like the decorative 'E' carved on the handle thingy."

"That's the hand grip and it's made of elk horn. I had the entire gun engraved so it looks pretty."

"With my history with guns you still trust me with guns? I might shoot you again. Did you think of that?"

"You have only used a gun to defend yourself or those you cared about. I want you to be safe. You have my solemn promise that you have my permission to shoot even me if I ever become abusive."

"I can shoot you," she said with a wicked smile teasing him. "I don't know what to say?"

"The gun is small enough to carry in your belt purse."

"My Chatelaines?"

"Or in a holster. I got one that straps to your ankle or thigh."

"My Chatelaines will work fine."

"Tomorrow I will start teaching you to shoot. The gun is perfect for short range."

"Can you teach Manda too?"

"Yes. And I will get her a derringer too if she so desires."

"This would have been handy. I like knowing that I can defend my self. I don't like guns but I hate being vulnerable even worse. I think Manda will feel the same."

The next afternoon all three of them returned to their picnic site on Pettibone Creek. They had lunch, wadded in the creek and after their feet dried began practicing gun safety and shooting. David had brought several tin cans and they shot at them at close range. They did pretty well handling the gun as they proved to be enthusiastic to learn. Their accuracy would take time.

"You both did well," David said.

"No we didn't," Emeleth said. "I missed half of the time."

"It's going to take time, we will practice more once we get home. What shall we do now?"

"I want a foot rub!" Manda said. Emeleth laughed at her sister.

"Yes! And you can kiss mine too while your at it!" Emeleth teased.

"What have I got myself into," David asked in mock surprise.

They worked together to rub Amanda's feet and David did kiss Emeleth's feet prior the rubbing them. The girls giggled a lot during the massage and seemed energetic and joyful as the rode back to the hotel. The next day they visited Sadie's Milliner and Dress Shop to get three dresses each for traveling, second pair of shoes, more hats and new night wear. David tried to talk them into silk night wear but they insisted on cotton. The shoes they chose were low cut and had little heel like a slipper. They had a single strap to hold them on. They made arrangements to have every thing delivered once the alterations were finished.

"Now we have some choices to make David said. We are going to spend a few days in Chicago. You'll love shopping there, but I want your input on where we'll stay. We could stay with a friend who would love to meet you both or at the Palmer. It's an historic hotel down town,"