Chapter 15 Nurse Em

"Come on just drink it you big baby," Emeleth teased.

"I hate the taste of laudanum, just give me the brandy."

"This really going to hurt Doc said, so drink up."

"You'll have to kiss me first." Emeleth kissed him and he drank the potion. Aunt Jane was standing by to assist. Freddy and Jake were waiting nearby.

"The bullet is lodged in there deep." Doc said, "I want you," he said pointing to Sean, " to hold his arms wrap them around his chest to immobilize him. And you two ladies are to sit on his legs."

"Just cut the damn thing out," David said, his voice slurred. The doctor began to work. He used a probe and a scalpel to open the wound a little wider and locate the bullet.

"There's a big piece of metal next to the bullet," the doctor said.

"That's and old piece of shrapnel," Sean said.

"There is some suppuration around the metal, been setting up an infection."

"He was told he had to get that out," Sean said.

"I got it,"  Doc said as he pulled the ragged piece of metal out, "Now for the bullet." David was biting on a strip of rawhide as the doctor worked. "I'm not going to close it yet. I want all that puss out first. Em, you're going to be the nurse?" She nodded.

"Good, I've seen you pack a wound. You'll need to pack this at least daily. More often if there's a lot of drainage."

"I can do that."

"David, you'll have to let her, it's going to hurt." David nodded. The doctor packed the wound. He then took the lid off a glass jar and placed a portion of the content on the wound followed by a thick dressing.

"What's that?" Emeleth asked.

"Moldy bread. A colleague in England put me onto it. It appears to stop infections. I've had great success using it. I used it quite successfully on you wound. Now Miss Em, I need to talk to you in private." They stepped out into the hall. " Are you sure you're up to this?" Emeleth nodded. "David is a virile young man not like the others you've cared for."

"I want too."

"OK. I have every faith in your ability. He's going to run a nasty fever. Not much I can do to prevent it."

"I know how to give sponge baths."

"I will leave some of the laudanum, dose him freely it is going to hurt."

"How bad is the infection."

"He's not out of the woods and infections can and do kill. Call for me anytime you think I can help."

"I will Doc, thank you."

"Your bullet may have saved him, that shrapnel was going to eventually present him with systemic infection that would have not been easily treatable. He would have defiantly lost the leg, might have been done him in."

The doctor left after instructing everyone. Freddy and Jake returned home then brought their sister's stuff over. They hugged, "I think your right to move out." Jake said. "I don't trust Pa. He may come back and try something."

"Who will take care of you?" Emeleth asked through her tears.

"Heck Em, we're grown men. You've been taking care of everyone forever. You need someone to take care of you and Mandy and David wants too. You should marry him," Jake said.

"I don't know if I really love him enough to marry him and now I shot him."

"Em, he loves you and he's a good man."