Chapter 27 Christmas Ball

"Smoke, bring that back," Amanda said while laughing at her little dog as it raced around the the huge tree that David had ordered to be set up. "We never did this at home."

"I like it," Emeleth said as they hung ribbons and colorful ornaments that they had made on the tree. "Prince Albert brought this tradition from Germany." They had a fire blazing in the fireplace while they made ornaments and David, his brother, Gregory and Nat were tasked with placing them on the tree where the women could not reach. "I heard from my brothers."

"What did they have to say?" David asked as he wrapped the tree with a string of colored popcorn.

"They are fine, They bought out Pa's share of the business and are doing quite well."

"What is Pa doing?" Amanda asked doing her best to sound disinterested.

"The twins said he just disappeared after they raised the money to buy him out."

"I hope he stays disappeared," Amanda whispered.

"I can't wait to wear my new ball gown," Emeleth said.

"I would like to see it too," David said, "you've not said a thing about it."

"It's really nice and Manda's is even more beautiful."

"How did you manage an invitation for Manda? She's only sixteen and has yet to come out."

"Actually Jenna's mom Ruth did."

"If you would like we could take the carriage out for a ride. It's going to be a gloriously sunny day," David said as he sat on the floor next to Emeleth.

"Could all us girls go," Emeleth asked.

"Pat and I would like to stay home today," Jenna said, "but Kim and Jenny can go."

"Oh, yes!" Amanda said.

"Socks and shoes if you want to go."

"But Davey," Emeleth teased, "I never wear shoes." The girls were assisted by their maids into a light wool day dress with a soft cotton lining. Emeleth pulled her new silk stockings and tied her garter just below her knee and folded the stockings over the garter. Then all five of them descended the stairs like a thundering herd of wildebeests and laughing as the donned their capes and pulled on gloves. "We're ready Davey," Emeleth said breathlessly. Jenna laughed at them with their most unladylike deportment in descending the stairs.

"I've had the carriage pulled around in front. Sean and a footman will accompany us on horse back. Shall we go?" With the sun out it was much warmer than the last few days and the streets were crowded with a variety of carriages and people on horses. They were all well known from the visiting Jenna had organized and were greeted and hailed by numerous members of polite society out to enjoy the day. "You all seem rather popular," David noted.

"Jenna says I'm a curiosity," Emeleth said, "a cowgirl Viscountess."

"Should we get horses for you all to ride?" David asked.

"OH YES!" Amanda said.

"When we visit the estate after the new year we can get horses. I can just picture you all racing across the moors like a bunch of wild Indians."

"Davey, is Jerry coming to the ball too," Amanda asked shyly.

"I believe so," David replied and Amanda smiled brightly and her face reddened.

"You made her day," Emeleth whispered in his ear.

"How are you holding up Sweetheart?"

"I'm happy, I do miss home but not nearly as much as I had thought. You've made me very happy."