Chapter 28 Confrontation

Sidney Evans sat across the huge teak desk from David. David did not display a hint of the cold fury he felt toward his cousin. Moments earlier he had sauntered into David's office looking self assured and arrogant. Now he glared at David loathing evident on his features as he spoke, "So you're simply going to dismiss me?"

"To put it bluntly," David said, "yes. I do not like being stolen from. I take exception to theft and lies."

"You have no proof. Just because you hired a detective will not hold up in court. A commoner against a gentleman. I'm surprised you would take his word."

"I followed up on everything he told me. I've written to the mine engineers and they assured me the money allocated for repairs and upgrades was never spent. Further I was told that the mine is in sore need of the repairs and was reaching a point of possible danger to the workers. The improvements to the canal and various farm buildings have not been made. You have for several years simply pocked the moneys you requested for improvements."

"That simply is not true."

"Oh it is. You have been gambling a lot and loosing a lot. You go through any winnings quickly and have been using my father's generosity to enrich yourself."

"I'm good for the moneys. I am after all a gentleman forced to exist on a meager pittance doled out by your father. Am I supposed to be eternally grateful."

"You're not supposed to steal. I've made inquiries as to you gambling debts and made it known that I will make good the debts this one time but will cut you off if you accrue more debt. You will have to make do on your 'meager' trust fund allowance."

"You can't do that!" Sidney looked furious.

"I just did. Because we are family and in deference to your mother I will make no mention for the reason for your dismissal."

"You are being unreasonable."

"On the contrary I'm being most generous, more generous than you deserve."

"Can your behavior withstand examination by a detective? How will you're wife react to stories of your behavior in the past. You are no innocent yourself."

"I am not a thief."

"No but you are a seducer of the innocent. How would your sweet little wife react to that knowledge. Does she know she is sleeping with a viper, that you plan on seducing her sister, or have you already? She is a delectable little wench is she not, ripe and ready to despoil." Now David was furious.

"You know nothing of my past or my intentions. I know you are behind the note Em received during the ball. I don't know what game you are playing, but I do know you are a scheming bastard. Mark my word on this, any harm that comes to anyone I care about will be visited on you tenfold. I strongly suspect you had something to do with Keith's death but I have no proof. Consider yourself lucky I am treating you so gently, I could have brought you before the Bailey."

"It would have come to nothing, David," Sidney said smugly.

"You most likely have escaped justice but you would have been ruined. My father would have cut you off and left you destitute. I am being more than generous with you because I do not want to break your mother's heart and I cared for your father. Walk away from this and start making better choices."

"I'm being preached to by a damn rake," Sean said, "this is not over."

"It better be. If there is a next time I will destroy you!" David whispered.