Chapter 9 London

September 1, 1871

The newly widowed Jenna St.Greer sat with her teenage twin daughters Jennifer and Kimberly. She clutched a handkerchief in her hand to handle any leakage of tears. Outwardly she appeared serene. The twins were quiet flanking their mother on the sofa. They had their heads resting on her shoulders. They were all dressed in black as befitting their loss. Jenna had just learned from the family lawyer, Steven Greene, that Kieth's untimely death meant he left no will and no provisions for her and the children. And now she had been summoned to meet with the Marquess. She was terrified. She could be simply put out and forced to rely on her family who had publicly disowned and humiliated her when she was eighteen. She made a foolish error and an abortive flight to Gretna Green with a rake who had convinced her of his love. She had avoided the marriage by locking herself in a room when they had stopped for repairs to the coach. He brother ridding in her pursuit had found her and returned her home the next morning. But her reputation was irreparably ruined. Keith had loved her and married her even with her soiled reputation. They had had a wonderful marriage but all to short she mused. Her only regret was that she had not provided Kieth with a son.

Nigel the family butler approached. "Lady St Greer the Marquess would like to see all of you now." She rose to her feet and with her daughters stood together and walked into the office that had been Keith's. Marquess Victor Keith David Evans DeMeer stood as they entered. He walked briskly toward Jenna and her daughters. He embraced them kissing all their cheeks.

"I heard that Kieth had not made provisions for you," Victor said softly.

"No he never expected to...to not be with us so soon."

"You realize the St Greer properties, land and funds now go to my second son, David."

"Yes."

"You will always hold the title Dowager Viscountess, so your rank is secure for you and your girls."

"I realize that."

"I have been in communication by telegraph with the new Viscount over the last few weeks since the accident. David asked me to extend his invitation to you remain in your home at St Greer and the London house. He also will provide you with the necessary funds to maintain yourself as befitting your rank for as long as you live. He has also pledged a sizable dowry to Jenny and Kim and a stipend for them.

"Why...I hardly know David. He and Keith were not that close," Jenna was again reduced to tears.

"You're family. David wanted to do this and if he had not I would have. David may have been an angry youth but he has matured into a man that I am very proud of."

"I have been so scared we would be forced to depend on my family or left destitute."

"I have no idea why even after so many years the Duke, your father, still refuses to accept you. I have never been blessed with daughters of my own and find your presence, all three of you a source of great joy in my home."

"Thank you," Jenna said as she smiled in relief to her father-in-law.

"Is David coming home?"

"He is currently courting an American woman. He tells me she has a sixteen year old sister whom he expects to be coming with them."

"Is David really a cowboy?" Jennifer asked.

"And what do you know of cowboys," Victor asked as he smiled fondly at his granddaughter.

"I found a bunch of dime novels and Kim and I have been reading them."

"You must have found David's book collection. And yes, my son is indeed a cowboy."

"I shall write to him personally and thank him," Jenna said.

*******

Sidney Evans, nephew of the Marquess met his co-conspirator and solicitor Steven Greene in a private club in London. "Well you managed the hunting accident well but your man in America keeps bungling his assignment."

"He has a plan in place and will be using a family of locals to put and end to the new Viscount. An accident could be suspicious so soon after Keith's death."

"You have a valid point there." Sidney poured himself a glass of sherry as his co-conspirator continued. "Jerome's sad demise can wait a while, at least until after we can dispose of his brother. My dear cousin David is surprisingly resourceful. Even as a child he was unpredictable. Having him murdered by any angry father is so fitting with his reputation."

"That rocket explosion you arranged in India almost worked," Steven said.

"I do admit it was brilliant. This man in America, is he competent," Sidney poured himself a second.

"Sweeney? Yes he is excellent. We have used him and his brother before."

"If Keith had not discovered I was stealing from the estate he may have lived a little longer. That was good work you did destroying his will."

"Being a solicitor does open opportunities for the clever."

"Well let's toast to me, soon to be the future heir to the old Marquess Uncle Victor," Sidney took a second glass and poures Steven a small measure topping his off.