Chapter 21 Lost Dog

"Have you thought of a name for the dog?" Emeleth asked

"Smoke," Amanda said, "we found her in smoke."'

"Come Smokey," Stephanie said and the little dog ran to her climbing into her lap and licking her face and ears. "She's such a cute dog."

"David said we can keep her," Emeleth said.

"What kind of dog is she?" Stephanie asked.

"A con dog," David said as he walked into the room where Pat, Steph, Manda and Em were all sitting barefoot on the floor feeding bits of meat to the dog.

"Is that a new breed," Pat asked, "I've not heard of that one."

"It's actually a type of terrier I think," David said, "It conned you all into taking it in and feeding it."

"She does have such a sad face," Emeleth said and offered the dog a piece of lunch meat. The dog gently took the offered treat.

"A con dog's face," David teased.

The dog then ran to David and looked into his face with it's sad expressive eyes. David bent over and gingerly patted the dog on the head. The dog looked at him as if to say, "You're new at this aren't you," David said, "I've never had a dog." Then to the others, "You'll all be busy taking care of it on the train and the boat."

"We can teach her to do tricks," Amanda said.

"I was lucky," David said, "I played the Viscount card and got us extra rooms on the steamer. So it's a go for you and your family Pat.

"Harold will stay but I really feel the need to visit Jenna and the girls right now."

"It's been a few years since you spent time with her," Gregory said. "I'll rent a place in London..."

"No you won't," David said, "I insist you stay with us at St. Greer or the London house. They are both oppressively large and much to quiet. The girls will liven it up nicely."

"Thank you, we accept," Gregory said.

"Is Jenna at your houses or did she return to Papa's?" Patricia asked.

"I offered her permanent residence in the homes she shared with Keith. It only seemed proper to make the offer."

"You as always are a generous man," Patricia said.

"Jenna was nice to me," David replied shrugging his shoulder.

"We have a ton of planning to do," Patricia said. "I shall take my personal maid as will Stephanie."

"Well leave the butler to run the house for Harold," Gregory added.

"Are you going to hire maids here?" Patricia asked.

"We will in London," David said, "until then Manda and Em will have to manage themselves."

"We always have," Emeleth said.

"Our Pullman will handle us all for the trip to New York," Gregory said. "I'll hire a cook."

"I want to be the cook!" Emeleth insisted.

"That will be so much fun Papa," Stephanie said, "I want to cook too." Gregory looked suprised, shrugged his shoulders and nodded in agreement.

"Then lets plan on leaving at weeks end," Gregory said. "We can spend a few days in New York then leave for London."

"I'll send a telegram and let th family know about the change in plans."

David purchased a traveling kennel for Smoke as they traveled but he did realize the dog would most likely be on someones lap or bunk for the entire trip. But the kennel would be useful at times. The house was thrown into total chaos as preparations were made. Amanda and Stephanie would room together on the Pullman but not the steamer. Smoke would reside with them. As they would be exposed to colder weather in the Atlantic crossing more shopping was need and Emeleth and Amanda purchased a hooded red cape for cold weather wear.