Chapter 24 The Voucher

William felt trapped. Even drunk he realized he was in a dire predicament. He held the voucher in his hand and read it: to be delivered on demand, one virgin female... "You can't mean to collect on that, they all left for England," he said to his companion. "That was for Sweeney."

"I'm taking payment for Sweeney, we were partners. You will make good on this or else."

"I don't see how."

"I could simply let everyone know how you killed your wife, maybe organize a lynching. You talk a lot when you're drunk."

"No court can condemn me without a witness."

"Who needs a court. A few drinks and some well chosen words and an vengeful mob can be organized. You give me what I want and nothing will come of it. I'll arrange for you to go to England. We can take care of David and we can share the women."

"They are my daughters, what kind of father..."

"Drop the crap, you already told me how the older one took a shot at you when you tried to have your way with her, and how you've been lusting after the younger one. It's only your older daughter has kept you from younger one."

"That was all Em's fault. She was real pretty and always out going and smiling like a whore. She deserved what I had planned."

"So you thought she'd be an easy target."

"How was I to know she's a real hellcat. I'd really like to tame her good. How are you going to pull this off?"

"My employer wants David removed. Having the deed done by the enraged father of the innocent daughters he kidnapped and seduced would be a fitting end to David."

"But Em did run off with him. They got caught together in his bed. I've heard and he had to marry her." William took another drink felling morose and trapped.

"The man already had the reputation of a rake, why would he, a viscount, stoop to marry your daughter, a frumpy little shrew... unless he wanted the younger one too."

"I never thought of that. Manda is a rare beauty." William's sullen bitter self pity was now replaced with anger.

"You'd be saving your daughter from a monster," Richard said.

"Yes," William agreed. "And taking only what's mine."

"And you'd be rich, and very well paid. What law would condemn a man for protecting his own."

*******

Gerald Greene was admitted by a large rather intimidating man servant into the apartments of Sidney Evans. The apartment was furnished as a well appointed bachelor residence in a very exclusive area of London. The apartment was shared buy his younger brother Nat and was kept clean by a pair of hired house maids. Sidney had difficulty keeping house staff because of his behavior toward female servants so Nat handled the staff and the arrangement worked well."You asked me to hurry over," Gerald said.

"Nat is conveniently out so we can talk freely. How is everything progressing. I have heard David and his bride are here in London. Nat spends a lot of time at the Devonshire House. I believe he is smitten by some low class wench from America."

"Sweeney was killed in a gunfight with your cousin."

"That means the little bride will also need to be eliminated, can't afford to leave any possible heir of theirs to complicate things. She could be breeding even now."

"Sweeney's brother Richard has an excellent plan. He is bringing the girls father over. The father will be useful in cutting down the Viscount. He and his daughters will also be killed in the gun fight."

"I like the plan. Are you sure the girls father will co-operate?"

"He really only needs to die in the fight. This is personal with Richard, he will most likely be the only trigger man."

"What does Richard want?"

"Nothing you can't afford."

"Well it's time I made my appearance and greet the new Viscount and his lovely bride. Good work Gerald.