Chapter 19 Shopping

Gregory and Patricia Ledlow as well as their sixteen year old daughter Stephanie and son Harold met the new arrivals at the door. "David it's so good to see you, or should I call you my Lord or Viscount?"

"David is fine, Greg. Pat and Steph you are both looking beautiful as usual," David said as he shook hands with his friends. "This is my wife Em and her sister Manda." Formal introductions were made and the house staff began carrying the luggage to the assigned rooms.

"I heard about Keith," Gregory said, "and I'm so sorry for his family."

Emeleth as standing very quietly holding onto David's hand and David said to her, "My brother Keith and Greg went to school together. That's how we know each other."

"I met my wife while in London," Gregory said. "Keith introduced us."

"And I married an American," Patricia said. "You all look exhausted. I'll have you shown to your rooms. Rest a bit we have supper around six. Em, Manda it is good to meet you." Emeleth was grateful to be given some time to unwind. She and Amanda collapsed together on the bed she would be sharing with David.

"I'm going to take a nap," Emeleth said.

"Go for it, I'll be in the library with Greg and then I will send a telegram home. You two can rest. They have a tub through that door. Why don't you unpack after a you rest.

"I don't think I'll need to much res, Davey."

David went to the library where Greg was waiting with a couple of cigars and brandy, "Did you enjoy the cowboy life?" Greg asked.

"I did and best of all I met Em."

"Did you get my letter about the accident?"

"Yes, you believe Keith's death was not accidental."

"Keith had discovered your cousin Sidney was stealing from the estate."

"You mentioned that, how?"

"Taking out loans for repairs and upgrades on the estates he is managing for you father and not actually doing the work."

"I thought Jerome was managing things."

"He's rather young so he's only managing a few of the estates, Sidney still manages DeMeer. Sidney was in school with Kieth and me. I can't figure him as a thief."

"So he's managing the family seat, have you talked to the family solicitor?"

"Steven Greene," David nodded. "I'm not sure we can trust him." Greg said. "He should have been the one to notify your father."

"I'll just have to sort that all out when I get home. There has been attempts on my life over the last few weeks, I wonder if it all is connected." David used a match to light his cigar and sipped his brandy.

"What are you going to do here in Chicago?" Greg asked.

"Take in the city, women love shopping."

"Pat wants to throw a small reception for the both of you."

"That would would be good, a bit of dry run for London."

Emeleth and Amanda slept for a couple of hours then got up to take a bath and changed into floral pattern dress for dinner. The dress had a small pattern of flowers and was edged in lace. The dress was off the shoulder and had small short puffy sleeves. They both wore their hair in a simple bun low on their heads. They assembled in the dining hall and were seated.

"Where is Sean?" Amanda asked.

"He is taking his meal with the servants," David said, "and has a very nice room to himself."

Pat was very interested in hearing about their unusual courtship and David and Emeleth told their story to the delight of the Ludlow's. Amanda and Stephanie sat together and were having a very animated conversation of their own.

The next day was dedicated to shopping and Patricia and Stephanie accompanied Emeleth and Amanda. First they visited a dress shop and purchased several batiste blouses, a peasant style blouse and several skirts and petticoats and two additional shifts. Then they visited a jeweler. Pat had pierced their ears after dinner so they purchased several earrings, some button style others dangling and some hoop. Cameo broaches and choker necklaces were also purchased. David convinced them to purchase new belt purses and he had the leather worker add a concealed pocket in the purse for their derringers. They stopped for lunch and arrived home in time to receive delivery of their purchases and a second carpet bag for both young women.

Emeleth and Amanda were excited by their purchases and raced to their rooms to change. Stephanie and her personal maid assisted them to dress. That night at dinner Emeleth planed on wearing her white batiste blouse. It had a short standing color. The long sleeves were flared as they reached the wrist then closing with widening funnel shaped lace cuff. The front of the blouse had two vertical lines of delicate lace from the shoulder just where the sleeve attached down to the waist. She also wore a full skirt with narrow vertical stripes of copper and black. She also wore a wide black belt. She had her hair up in a low bun and hoop earrings. David stood appraising her as she twirled around for him smiling. "What do you think, Davey?"

"You look beautiful Em. No shoes?"

"My feet hurt," she said and laughed. "I've never owned so many fabulous clothes, Thank you."

"You have barely enough to be presentable in London society."

"Did you see the cunning little straw cap I purchased, I can't wait to wear it out."

"Your dress matches your hair color."

"Pat said that when she helped me pick it out."

"Shall we go down to dinner, my lady."

"Yes my lord," she said and curtsied her eyes twinkling with mischief. Wait to you you see Manda's outfit." As they walked regally to the dining room David noticed that none of the women has shoes on.

"What is this?" Gregory said.

"Barefoot night," Stephanie said then giggled.

Thelittle reception Patricia had planned for them was a great success. However heridea of little varied greatly from Emeleth'sbut in spite of an extreme case of pre-reception jitters she enjoyed herself,especially the music and dancing. The next day, October 8th, had no activitiesplanned. Everyone was tired from the shopping expeditions and the reception andEmeleth had no intention of doing much. She had convinced Pat to allow her theuse of the kitchen and she planned to make city chicken and apple pie. Sheassisted the cook to cut the pork and veil into small cubes and impale them ona stick while Amanda dredged them in egg then dried bread crumbs. Dinner was agreat success and they settled in the library for quiet reading and for the mento enjoy a cigar. Then at a little past 9PM the fire watch gave the firstalarm. The well trained fire crew was quickly dispatched but due to an error ofthe fire watch were sent to the wrong area and precious time was lost.