Chapter 35 Pursuit

"Lets get the girls home," Greg said. Sean got off his horse and helped Amanda and Emeleth to mount it. Stephanie mounted Jerome's and the twins Greg's. "Lets get Sidney's man comfortable then we can come back for him."

"The poor bastard's dead," Jerome said as he knelt next to the man. "Bled out I think." Amanda gave a quiet sob. "You saved him from the hangman Manda, he was going to kill you."

"I know Jere," Amanda sniffed, "I didn't want to kill him."

"You did the right thing Mandy," Emeleth whispered.

"We will walk you all home," Greg said. "Dave and Nat will be along soon." The men led the horses as the young women slowly rode home. The servants were mobilized and and water heated for baths. All of the young women had leaches on their feet, ankles and legs and these were salted to remove them. Amanda was literally covered with mud that was mostly dry and her new dress ruined. They all bathed and shampooed their hair. They had missed lunch so the were given some fresh bread and cheese and sipped tea and then settled in the library to await David and Nat's return.

David and Nat followed the coast road in pursuit of Sidney. Their horses were tired and wet with sweat so they did not push the animals. Sidney road ahead at breakneck speeds whipping his horse to get more speed. They reached the part of the road that hugged the coastal cliffs. To their left and several hundred feet below waves crashed on the rocky shore. Sidney was about a quarter mile ahead of them and the distance between them widening when Sidney's horse stumbled and he was thrown. He disappeared over the cliff edge. Several minutes later David and Nat reached the spot. The horse seemed unhurt and was apparently eating the thick bladed grasses that grew along the rocky road. Nat looked over the cliff and saw Sidney clinging to the edge.

"Don't move Sid we'll get you," Nat said. David nodded and took the lariat from his saddle and unwinding it tied a loop with a bowline knot and slipped it over his head and around his waist. He tied one end to the saddle horn.

"Use the horse to lower me, I'll get him and you can pull both of us up." Nat nodded and David stepped over the edge of the cliff and was lowered until he reached Sidney. Sidney was clinging to a ragged looking small tree rooted to a fissure on the rocks. "Sid, grab on to me," David said. Sidney had not been aware that David and Nat arrived. He sneered.

"You're going to save me only to hand me over to the hang man!"

"Let us help you Sid," Nat shouted, "you're not well."

"I'm not well!" Sidney shouted, "I'm in full control of my mind. I planned all of this, I had Keith killed, I was going to have David killed in a shoot out between his little brides father in which she, her sister and her father would be killed too. No one would would have suspected me."

"Why Sid?" Nat asked.

"So I would have been the heir of the old Marquess."

"We will save you," Nat said, "but I can never forgive for what you planned to do to Steph."

"That little slut was nothing. Nobody would have even missed her or found her body." David grabbed Sidney.

"I got him Nat, pull us up!" Nat began to slowly lead the horse away from the cliff face as David and Sidney were pulled up. Sidney began to struggle. "Damn you man, hold still," David shouted. Sidney responded with a maniacal laugh as he struggled more.

"I'll see you both in hell!" he growled as he broke free of David's embrace and fell to the rocks and heavy surf below. They watched as he fell screaming and his body was broken on the rocks below. Nat continued to pull David until he stood with him on the cliff side.

"I'm sorry I could not save him Nat."

"He deserved what he got but...he was still my brother."

"Let's go home, we have to check on our women folk." They led the three horses and walked back. It could take several hours to walk back, so when the horses were rested enough they again mounted and finally reached the lawn close to supper time and could see the castle and manor house. Emeleth saw them from the library window and ran to greet them. Steph was running with her. The men dismounted and the couples embraced. Emeleth's face glowed with happiness and she jumped to embrace him. She held him tight with her arms locked about his neck.

"I'm never going to let you go!" she whispered as she sobbed. David wrapped her in his arms and kissed her cheek, her forehead and finally her lips and looked into her large expressive blue eyes. Held like this her bare feet were dangling several inches from the ground but she did not let go.

"Why are you crying, Sweetheart?"

"'Cause I'm happy...I'm happy." She sobbed even harder. David then lifted her and held her in his arms. She lay her head against his shoulder burying her face in the crook of his neck and then bit him.

"OW!" David said and laughed. "I don't know what I'm going to do with you Em."

"You're going to take me home and love me forever, cowboy."

"Oh God Em, forever is not long enough."