Chapter 1- Loser

Y/N p.o.v.

I just moved to Derry a week ago. Today is Monday, my first day of school. I hadn't been out of my house a lot since I didn't have much to do. I woke up bright and early at 6:00am to get ready for my first day since school starts at 8:00am sharp. I hadn't been this anxious since I attended my last school, the people I trusted most turned their backs on me and spread terrible rumours.

'Did you here y/n has chlamydia?'
'That whore slept with half the school by now.'
'I heard she drinks vodka straight out the bottle.'

The hallways were filled with laughter, I just hoped I wouldn't mess up my reputation at this school too. I hopped in the shower, brushed my teeth and hair, got dressed, put on my navy sweatshirt and overalls and favourite pair of converse.

I walked downstairs to be greeted with the smell of baked goods. I saw my mom in the kitchen with a plate full of fresh homemade waffles. I grabbed one and poured syrup on it, not even bothering to grab a plate as I took bites out of it while holding it in my hand like a barbarian. I glanced at my watch to check the time. Shit. I had to be at school in 5 minutes. "Bye mum, thanks for breakfast!" I told her as I shoved the rest of the waffle in my mouth, grabbing my backpack and heading out the door. "Bye y/n! Have fun! And make some friends, will you?" She said with a light chuckle. I hopped on my light blue bike and rode as fast as I could.

-

I made it to school a minute or 2 after the bell rang so the halls were pretty empty. I grabbed my binder and my books and rushed down the hall. I walked backwards for a second to look at the clock.

If I don't hurry I'l-

I fell to the floor dropping all my supplies.

"I'm s-so sorry!" I hear a faint, worried voice say. "That's ok, it's real-" I glanced at the boy for a moment then took a second look. I paused and stared at the gorgeous boy in front of me that was helping me grab my books.

I realized I was staring and laughed it off nervously, continuing my sentence from a few moments before.
"It's really no problem." I felt my face grow warm and tingly. "I-I'm Bill. Bill Denbrough." He stuck out his hand. "I'm y/n. Y/n l/n." I grabbed his hand and shook it. "Hey, what c-class do you have?" He asked with the cutest stutter. "Math, with Mr. L." I respond. "Me too, I'll w-walk with you."

-

We walked down the empty hall shoulder to shoulder. I peered over slightly at him to see a slight red blush creep across his checks which caused my face to turn a darker red too. We made it to Mr. L's classroom without saying a word to each other, only stolen glances.

We took a seat in the middle of a lesson but thankfully Mr. L didn't seem to mind. I sat down near the back and Bill sat in the seat behind me. I was dozing off while Mr. L was talking about algebra or some boring shit when I felt like someone was watching me. I turned around slightly and saw Bill looking at the back of my head but as soon as I turned around he looked at the chalk board as his face turned red. I turned around quickly as my face became hot. A few minutes later I felt a tap on my shoulder, I turned around to see Bill handing me a note.
I unfold it and read, 'Sit with me at lunch?' After reading the little note I nodded towards Bill with a bashful smile, and he gave one in return.

-

After a few boring lessons the lunch bell rang, sending kids flying out of their classes. I got to the cafeteria and scanned the room. I fortunately spotted Bill, waving and smiling at me. I walked over with my lunch tray and took a seat next to him while I looked around the table.

"Hey y/n. It is y/n, r-right?" He gave me a worried look. I chuckled lightly and nodded.
"Uh, m-meet the losers." I give a shy wave. "This is R-Richie, Eddie, Ben, B-Beverly, and Stanley, we have a-another friend, M-Mike, but he's ho-homes-hom-ugh!"
"He's homeschooled," the curly brunette boy, Eddie, finished for Bill, while giving me a very big smile with extra rosy cheeks.

Everyone gives small smiles and waves. "Nice to meet ya, hot stuff!" Said the boy with glasses that made his eyes 10x bigger, Richie, if I remembered correctly. My eyes grew wide and my face heated up at the comment.
"Beep beep, Richie," Said Stanley, clearly annoyed. "You can call me Stan." He told me with an almost embarrassed smile.
"Finally I'm not the only girl!" Beverly scooted closer to me. "These guys are fun n' all, but It was getting kinda boring." She added with a laugh. Ben simply waved his hand with a welcoming smile.

We talked and talked at lunch. Richie made a 'your mom' joke and he raised his hand. No one thought it was funny but I laughed I bit so I gave him a high-five.
Once I did I saw Bill laughing and smiling at me and Richie. Butterflies started to fly around inside my stomach.
"You guys want to go to the barrens after school?" Beverly asked, nudging my arm. "What's the barrens?" I asked as I tilted my head. "Yo-you'll see." Bill said with a wide smile.

-

After lunch we went our separate ways and went to our remaining classes. Once the bell rang I quickly grabbed my stuff and shoved it in my backpack. I ran outside and grabbed my bike from the bike rack. While I was getting on my bike I saw Richie and Eddie walking over holding hands but quickly let go once they saw someone looking. I wonder what that was about, but I waved and signalled them over. Soon everyone got their bikes and started riding to the barrens. I followed behind them since I don't know where we're going. I saw Bill slowing down and falling behind the group so he was riding next to me. He gave me a crooked smile and looked at me before looking straight forward again. I smiled back, maybe a bit too wide but I couldn't help it. I felt the butterflies in my stomach again but I shook it off.

-

Soon enough we stopped, got off our bikes and started walking.
"Here we are!" Said Richie. "This is the barrens?" I said in awe. It wasn't much but it was still gorgeous. I looked at the streaming water, the sun peeking through the trees. Then I saw Bill. How the light hit his face. How the wind was blowing through his hair, messing it up. How his eyes sparkled like the water. He was truly the best sight here. I must've gotten lost in thought because Bev caught me staring and waved her hand in my face.

"Hello, earth to y/n?" She said laughing.
"Huh? Oh I was just uh, um.." I said as Beverly looked at me with a curious look. She grabbed my hand and pulled me behind. "Wait, y/n.. do, do you like Bill?" She said sort of quietly while raising a brow.
"Um, maybe... I mean I just met him!" She looked at me dead in the eyes and crossed her arms. "He's pretty cute though," I admitted.
"I knew it! You and him would be so cute-"
I quickly covered her mouth with both my hands. All the boys looked at us as they laughed and snickered. I gave them a nervous smile.
"Shut up Bev!" I whisper-shouted.
"Okay sorry, sorry! But you would make a cute couple, just saying." I shoved her playfully as we laughed.

We laughed and talked as we walked through the barrens. It was getting late so we all got back on our bikes and went home. "I-I'll ride with y-you y/n, I-just to make s-sure you get home s-safe." I nodded and blushed. I looked the other way for most of the ride to hide my face so he wouldn't see my clearly red face. I got off my bike and parked it in front of the garage once we were at my house.

-

"Bye Bill, thanks for today, it was really... fun." I smiled genuinely. "N-No, thank you. I'll s-see you t-tomorrow?"
I waved from my porch as I nodded and he rode off. I went inside and saw my worried mother. "Where have you been?! You have to tell me if you want to go somewhere after school!"

"I made friends." I smiled.

1526 words