Chapter 28- Best Friend

Bill's p.o.v.

"Aren't you excited? You're 16!" My mother said as she put her hand on mine. I shrugged as I stirred my spoon in the bowl of cereal, the frootloops swirling around without purpose. My dad left me a note since he had already left for work.
"Come on William. You can drive, that's pretty amazing! Isn't it?" My mother pushed, desperately wanting me to engage in this conversation. I shrugged again. In all honesty, I wasn't that excited. It just means I'm a year older, or rather a year closer from forgetting Georgie.

Georgie was my best friend. We'd play all day in my room, making blanket forts and pretending it was a castle, fighting off monsters in the basement. He was all I could ever ask for. I loved him and he loved me. We were Bill and Georgie, 'best friends until we die' he'd say.
I just didn't think the day he died would come so soon.

"Bill? William? Have you even been listening to me?" She asked as she put her other hand on my shoulder. I looked up at her with glossy eyes, I didn't even realize I was crying until she wiped my tears away.
"What's wrong sweetheart?" She asked with concern in her eyes.
"I miss Georgie." I said as I let out a sob. My mother instantly pulled me into her embrace, stroking my hair with her free hand while the other was on my back. I cried as I shut my eyes tight, maybe if I shut them tight enough I would see Georgie again, see his face again.

After Georgie went missing, my parents took down his pictures and kept them hidden away so they wouldn't be reminded of the pain every time they entered their home. It had been 4 years since he went missing, and already I started to forget some of his features.
I knew he had brown eyes, but I can't remember the shape. I know he had a few freckles, but I can't remember where. I know he had the most contagious smile, but I can't remember what it looked like. I just want to see that smile again, one more time, so I could remember my best friend.

"C-Could I h-h-h-have a p-picture of Geo-Georgie?" I choked out. I heard my mother sniff.
"Of course, of course my angel." She whispered shakily, starting to stroke my hair again.

Y/N p.o.v.

The losers and I all stood at Bill's locker that was covered with streamers and a card stuck in the middle with blue sticky tac. We all signed the card and left little notes in it, like inside jokes or congratulations. We all pitched in 20 bucks to give him too.
"Where the fuck is he? The bells' gonna ring any second now!" Eddie whined as he tugged on Richie's sleeve.
"Don't worry, he'll be here. He's always at school. Almost perfect attendance, actually." Stan said in hopes of calming Eddie. The truth was, he couldn't stand Eddie when he complained. 'It drives me insane, but I'd never tell him that' Stan told me once.
"I'm sure he's just running late. I bet he was busy opening presents or something." I chimed in. The bell rang as Ben opened his mouth to speak which made him roll his eyes as Bev giggled. I sighed as I accepted that Bill wasn't going to come. I turned around to walk to my class with my books in my arms when I saw him, the birthday boy. I smiled as I shoved my books into Stan so he could hold them, not once looking away from Billy. I ran up to him and snaked my arms around his neck as I kissed his cheek.
"Happy birthday!" I said as I let him go. He nodded as he walked up to his locker where the losers were standing. They all wished him a happy birthday as Bill opened his locker, not bothering to look at the card.
"What's the matter, Billy?" I asked him as I knitted my brows together.
"Hm?" He hummed as he looked up at me with a blank expression.
"What's the matter?" I repeated, even more concerned than before.
"Oh, I-I-I'm j-just, just t-t-t-tired. D-Didn't get m-much s-s-sleep." Bill squeezed his eyes shut as he struggled to say the words. Bill usually stutters more when he's unsure of what he's saying, or when he's lying.
"You sure?" I pushed while I brushed my hand up and down his arm.
"Y-Yeah. Just p-p-peachy." He gave me a pathetic smile as he closed his locker. His eyes were red with dark, heavy bags under them.
He turned around to head to Mr. L's class but I grabbed his shoulder before he could get too far.
"Aren't you going to read the card?" I pointed to the one hanging on his locker, the words 'Happy Birthday Billiam!' written in Stan's perfect calligraphy. A frown tugged at my lips as my brows turned upward.
"I'm l-late, I'll g-get t-t-to it later."

Maybe he didn't get enough sleep.

Bill's p.o.v.

School was a blur. I didn't do anything all day except stare out the window, watching the rain hit the window. The snow was going away, another winter gone, another season without my brother. At lunch I read the card with the losers and thanked them endlessly. Inside there was $140. My mouth hung open as I got choked up, tears started to build in my eyes. But I couldn't let them fall or they'd never stop. I hugged them all with teary eyes, it was the only time I was conscious the whole day.
The only time I felt happy.

-

"C'mon Bill! Let loose, it's your sweet 16!" Bev yelled over the music that was blasted through the basement of her aunts house. Y/n told me that we'd go to her house but she had to grab something from Beverly's first, and when we went inside everyone jumped out and screamed 'surprise'. I wasn't all that surprised.
That was 3 hours ago. Now everyone's tipsy, except me and a couple others, like y/n. All the losers were there of course, and a few other friends from my classes. I don't think they're here for me though, probably the free drinks.

"Hey, let's go upstairs for a second. Is that alright Bev?" Y/n suggested.
"Yeah sure, you can go in my room, but don't have too much fun!"
I rolled my eyes as y/n took my hand and led me up the stairs. Once we got in Bev's room she put her hands on my shoulders and pushed me to sit on the bed. Then she took a seat next to me and I gave her a weak smile.
"What's going on with you today? You're 16! Aren't you happy?" She asked as she tilted her head. I shrugged.
"You've barely even talked all day," She said as she looked away. I didn't want to talk.
"You can tell me anything, you know that. I know you do." She said while placing her hand on mine. Y/n's eyes sparkled as she gave me a crooked smile.
She broke me.

I took a shaky breath in and let out a sigh as she rubbed circles on my hand with her thumb. "I h-hate my birthday." I asked her as tears already met my eyes, they threatened to spill.
"Why?" She sounded a bit shocked.
"Because e-every birthday it j-just reminds me th-that another y-year has past since G-G-Geo-Georgie went m-missing." It hurt to speak, my throat was tight and it was hard to breathe. I was fighting back tears.
"Another year without my best friend." I whispered as tears started to roll down my cheeks. Y/n pulled me into a hug and kissed the top of my head.
"D-Dammit, I f-feel like I'm a-always crying in front of you." I said with a laugh, not a real one.
"It's okay to cry. And it's okay to feel like this, but don't be miserable on your birthday. No one wants you to be sad today, not even Georgie." Y/n said in a soft but unsteady voice. I think she was crying too. I pulled away from the hug and reached my hand in my back pocket of my jeans. I took out a small picture, tiny enough to fit in a wallet.
"Do you w-want to s-see him?" I said, looking at the picture in my hands.
"If you don't mind."
I nodded and handed her the picture. It was of me and Georgie in front of a river. We'd go camping there every summer, and our favourite part of the whole trip was swimming in that river. Our hair was wet and all our teeth where showing in the huge smiles we shared.

It really is a contagious smile, one I'll never forget.

1530 words

An Author's Note:
I didn't read this over so I'm really sorry for any spelling errors, and I'm Canadian so don't come for my 'favourite's and 'colour's ;)

Happy readinggggg<3333