Chapter 7: Promise?

HOLY SHIT 3k READS OH MY GOD THAT WAS FAST THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH

I awoke, slowly getting up while rubbing my eyes. I was still here, it's foolish of me to think I'll ever wake up with my friends and family right there in my apartment. At least I had the photo of my dad, I never knew him obviously, but he died a war hero, sorta. Y'know sometimes I think I'm gonna be just like him, and I really do want to be like him. Minus the kinda early death, he died... I could hardly remember, somewhere between his late 20's or early 30's. God that's sad, I can only imagine the last few moments of his life, was he thinking of moms unborn sun? The love of his life? I don't know, I think about it often, maybe a little too much.

I picked the photo up, once again looking at it.

A knock on the opened door interrupted my thoughts.

"Hey."

I looked up, it was Fareeha. Oh man.

"Oh, uh hey." I quickly said.

"What's that?" She motioned to the photo in my hand.

"Oh, nothing just a picture of my dad." I turned the photo around, Fareeha stepped forward to get a closer look. She had her hands in her jacket pockets.

"Oh..." She squinted her eyes and smirked.

"You look just like him." She said.

A small laugh left my mouth.

She took a glance at me.

"What's wrong?" She asked.

"Ya know I never actually knew the guy." I chuckled.

Fareeha sat down next to me, she clearly wanted to know what I meant.

"He died in war. Air Force." I said, pointing to his suit and the jet plane behind him.

"Oh, I'm so sorry." She put her hand on my shoulder.

"Yeah, you're probably the only one in this place who understands." I wiped a tear from my eye

She leaned in, "What do you mean?"

"Your mother." I said plainly.

Seemingly realizing what I'm talking about, she pointed her head down.

"I guess we got a lot in common." I said.

"Nope. Not at all." Fareeha smiled.

I took a moment to think, and then shrugged.

"Eh, guess your right." I said.

"Welp, Angela's making breakfast so, if you want to you can come with." She got up and left the room.

I followed, walking down a hallway into some large sort of cafeteria place, for some weird reason it reminded me of high school, except you could tell this place had an astronomically higher funding. It was all fancy and futuristically nice looking, or whatever. Anyways me and Fareeha walk into some sort of back room, and I guess this is where Angela was cooking. It looked super nice as well. Eventually we catch up to Angela, who appears to be multitasking with cooking and working on a laptop.