t w o - s u m m e r

| evan's pov |

kyle drove us back to santa monica to stay with our grandparents until school starts again. it really is a burden to not have my own car, but at the same time a gift because i don't have to worry about gas prices skyrocketing. i looked out my window and rolled it down. i stuck my arm out to feel the heat tickling my skin. oh how i've missed the hot weather here in the west coast. as i was thinking of tricks to play for my grandparents, kyle nudged my shoulder which distracted me.

"tf bruh." i asked trying to look and sound serious, i even furrowed my eyebrows for god's sake but here's the thing, when you're around kyle, nothing is ever gonna be serious.

"what's with the face?" he said while doing circles around his face.

"i was thinking of pranks to pull off to granny and grandad, but being the shithead that you are, you felt the need to disturb my brainstorming."

kyle's lips formed into a thin line trying to think of something.

it was silent for a few moments until he opened his lips.

"why don't we just do the thing we used to do when we we're 7. you know..." he trailed off and a smirk formed on my lips. "but this time, it'll involve some ketchup and a plastic kitchen knife."

"kyle, you really are a genius. are you sure we're related?" he bursted out laughing and so did i.

sometimes i really wonder how kyle is related to me. i mean sure we look like identical twins, but the gap between our IQ is bigger than the titanic. i laughed at the thought. kyle gave me a confused look and shook his head.

"are we there yet?" I asked, but got no response. So being the obnoxious asshole that i am i repeated the same words over and over again, but stopped when kyle snapped.

"shut the fuck up, evan. I've been driving for god knows how long and you're acting like a little brat repeating useless shit."

i put my hands up in defeat.

"bruh locate your chill." i said and i swear i heard him growl. it took every ounce of my fiber to not hysterically laugh like a dying hyena because wow. this is the first time i have ever seen kyle snap. he's usually calm and relaxed.

the awkward atmosphere got thicker because neither of us spoke.

"i'm..." we both started at the same time and laughed.

"im sorry, bro. didn't mean to stress you out." i said while scratching the back of my head.

"im sorry for yelling at you, evan. sometimes you just really need to staple your lips together because you're annoying as fuck." he replied with a smile. i smiled back at him.

"so..." i trailed off "are we there yet?"
"EVAN THOMAS PETERS I AM GOING TO BEAT THE SHIT OUT OF YOU." he yelled

that's it. i couldn't hold it in any longer. i laughed so loud and ugly, i almost needed an asthma puff due to difficulty of breathing.

the laughter died down and kyle spoke up, "an hour more to go and we're home." i nodded and decided to close my eyes to regain my energy.

i literally shoved my earphones in and put my "favorites" playlist, which consists of 529 songs, on shuffle and drowned into the darkness.

|||

i was awakened from my sweet slumber by a strong gravitational pull forward. for a moment i thought we we're on the edge of a cliff, but nope. kyle was just trying to run the car before the light turns red, but obviously, he failed. he hit his fist on the wheel and cursed under his breath.