24 e n t y - f o u r : thunderfury and the phoenix

Principal Bobby worked fast. By 3 pm the next day, he had one of the office staff print out two copies of the social work timetable and the outline of the service for both Asher and I. A week of social work comprises three different places. The dog shelter, the beach, and the eldercare center. Principal Bobby canceled all of Asher's training too, for the days affected, much to Coach Bennet's dismay. Thank god championships were still only held after finals, or else Coach Bennet wouldn't even be open to negotiations.

"Pretty interesting places, I'd say." I mused as I showed Lydia the piece of crisp paper.

"Yeah...the thing is, finals are just weeks from now. Can you cope?"

I was worried about that too, in all honesty. But I was doing great at this moment. As long as my grades didn't drop, I could very well almost be valedictorian.

"I think so."

I gave the paper one last look before jamming it into my bag. The social service starts tomorrow. But the wall cleanup was to be completed today.

The day of lessons passed in a blur and all I could think about was whether Asher would keep up to his agreement and stay back after school to clean the wall as I walked toward the back of the school.

Finger crossed, I peeked past the wall. There he stood, with Thomas by his side who was looking a little pissed off.

"Go get the cloths and scrubs and soaps, Asher," Thomas ordered authoritatively.

"Where?"

"Up your ass. Of course the janitor's closet!"

Asher mumbled a few incoherent words before he trudged off.

Once he was out of earshot, Thomas spun to face me. "Why'd you help defend Asher? I love my best friend and I love you. But honestly, you aren't even his friend. Why would you risk getting a demerit in your student record for him?" Thomas asked.

To say I was floundering like a fish was an understatement.

"I owe him a lot," I said simply, in the end, just as Asher threw the scrubs and buckets and soaps at us.

"Okay, where do we start?" I murmured, staring up at the painted wall. Stupid Asher.

I lugged the pail to the nearest water hose before switching the hose on. I could hear both of them talking behind me. 

After spending the next ten minutes pulling the filled pail back (which ended up with half the volume it initially held because of how much I spilled), we finally got to work. The boys had taken their shirts off and I gawked at their wonderful physique. What? Sue me. How were they not cold though? Sure we were surrounded by buildings of the school but we were still outdoors.

"Hey love, why don't you take your shirt off too?" Asher smirked before doubling over, laughing.

"Haha. So funny." I rolled my eyes, at the same time Thomas said annoyed, "dude, that's my girlfriend."

Asher apologized half-heartedly before a look of pure evil settled on his face. As soon as his eyes flicked down to the smaller pail of water on the floor, I knew immediately what Satan's son was going to do.

"Asher, don't you dar-"

Too late, the pail flipped and my white shirt was see-through.

"Oops, my fingers slipped."

What the fucking hell.

I glowered at him angrily while Thomas stood in the corner, stunned before he joined in and splashed another pail of water on Asher.