We Don't Fit in Well, Cause We are Just Ourselves

Its funny how you can go for a long time in life not needing someone, and then you meet them and you suddenly need them all the time- Meg Wolitzer

Lydia

"I'm home" I yell as I get back from school.

Dropping my bag by the front door, I want to discuss my day with my parents before I get started on my homework.

"In here" my mom yells from the kitchen.

Walking into the kitchen, I grab a glass and fill it with water.

"Is dad home?"

"No he got caught up with Clay about some recruitment paperwork."

"Fun"

"How was school today?" My Mom asks

"Agg" I complain while resting my head on the counter top.

"That bad?"

"Not only did we get the breakdown of what we will be doing in each class for the year, and a project for each subject, I also have to raise a baby with a stranger."

I hear my mom drop her coffee mug and gasp

"Please don't tell me that you are pregnant"
"Mom I..."
"I didn't even know you were sexually active!"
"Mom!" I yell
She looks at me
"I'm not pregnant as I am not sexually active."

"Well that's a relief" I hear my dad's voice as he walks into the kitchen.
"Oh good lord" I say as I hide my face in my hands
"So you're not pregnant?" My mom double checks
"No mother I am not pregnant and now that we all know that I'm not sexually active can we please get back to the story at hand?"
"If it gets you to stop talking about sex, please can we?" My dad says

Shaking my head I begin to explain the project.
"So today in health class, we each got given partners and with our partner we each get given an interactive doll to raise for the entire year. And I got partnered with Theo Sparks."
"Theo Sparks as in Captain of the basketball team?" My dad asks
"Yip that's the one. I will be raising child with him." I reply drinking my water
"He's a brilliant basketball player according to Skills" my dad comments
"What is the big deal? So you partnered with the basketball captain" my mom says shrugging her shoulders
"Remember how Aunt Brooke always told me that dad used to be an arrogant jock in high school?"
"Hey!" my dad says trying to defend himself
"Well Theo is like that. All he cares about is basketball and puts minimal effort into his work. Sure he is not failing but I was hoping for a partner who works just as hard as me for my senior year"

My parents glance over at each other a knowing look in their eyes
"That is exactly what I thought of your dad when I started tutoring him, and then I got to know him and everything changed" mom says smiling at me as dad runs her back
"And on that awkward note I'm going to go research what an admin assistant does"

I put my glass in the sink and as I'm about to walk away I hear my dad say

"You never know what is going to happen."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Theo

I battled to keep my concentration during basketball practice.

Lydia kept slipping into my mind. Sure I had seen her around school the last 3 years but today sitting next to her I really got a good look at her. Her blonde hair and brown eyes sparkling... the feeling of intrigue I had before only intensified when I looked into her eyes. She quickly looked away as Mrs Newton begun to explain the project.

A baby! Or should I say a doll. I have 9 months, my last 9 months of school to spend completing a project with Lydia Scott.
That played on my mind the entire practice. It wasn't until I was sitting in the change rooms I snapped out of it.

"Hey you ok? You played like a boss but your mind looks like it was somewhere else?" Mike asks

He had partnered with Sophia one of the cheerleaders for the baby project. She was dating Chad, one of our teammates and Mike well, he is not one to settle down.
"Just thinking about how this is our last year and how busy we going to be with all our projects, basketball games..."
"And parties, don't forget parties" Mike pipes up
"Yes the parties" I smile

"Sparks" Coach Skills calls
"My office please"
I get up and walk towards the coaches office. Coach Skills is a friend of the Scott family and is also one helluva coach.
"Yes Coach?" he points to the chair on the other side of his desk
"So it's your senior year and I know you looking to play ball professionally. You and I both know how hard it is to play professional. Nathan Scott was the only one in Tree Hill to have made it to play for the Charlotte Bobcats. Now I believe you can make it. I understand that your academics are going to be hectic, and they do come first. One must always have a backup plan. And in order to get a scholarship to play ball you need to be passing well and not just scraping by. I don't want to scare you but, the first 3 games of the season we are going to use as practice as from the fourth game onward, scouts will be coming to observe you. From Universities all across the country. We have to keep your options open. What do you say captain?"
Slightly shocked even though I knew it was coming I smile and nod my head.

"I'm ready for this season coach"

Walking out of the office and grabbing my bags I head towards my truck.

Once I am home I head toward the living room to tell my mom about what coach said.
"Hey sweetheart, how was your day?"
"It was amazing, coach has scouts lined up to see me this season, so it started off well."
"That's great honey, and how was school"
"Oh that, yes it was good. Have about a thousand projects, so best get started as tomorrow I become a dad."

I sigh as I hear my mother start coughing
"Mom, are you OK?"
"Yeah sorry just backtrack there, did you get a girl pregnant?"
"What?! No!"
"So please explain how you are becoming a dad?"
"Oh that! It's a project for health class where me and Lydia Scott have to raise a "doll" for the next 9 months! So that's what I meant"
"Oh thank God, I'm too young to be a grandma!"
"Don't worry mom, I always make sure I'm safe"
"Didn't need to know that but thank you! Wait, Scott? Isn't that the surname of that basketball player who you are obsessed with?"
"Idolize mom, there's a difference! And yes, her brother is Jamie Scott. Her whole family is pretty big in the basketball scene. But not Lydia, she is different..."

"Mmmhmm" my mom says looking at me strangely.

"What are you implying with that look?"

"Nothing Son, Just going to be an interesting year that's all"

"Well stop with that look, nothing is going to happen and now, I am going to go shower and get started on my homework"

"Alright, I'll call you when dinner is ready"

And with that I make my way upstairs with a certain pair of brown eyes still playing on my mind.

A/N

Hello and welcome all new readers! Longer chapter for you all, from both perspectives. I really enjoyed writing from Theos POV as I like to get inside his head as well! Hope you enjoyed the new update, let me know what you think :)

Chapter Title from the song below