11.

I wasn't entirely sure how many speeding rules we broke.
But I knew, Bryce had no problem breaking them.
It felt like my world had immediately crumbled.
Just from how Emberly sounded on the phone.
The fact that the ambulance was racing, to get to Monty.
What happened?
And would he be okay?

"God." I heard Bryce curse beneath his breath, his knuckles turning white as he gripped the steering wheel.
A police car lit up, chasing us as Bryce glared harshly.
"We don't have time to pull over."
"Bryce, you'll get in trouble." Sage argued.
Bryce looked to me and I remained quiet.
My heart wouldn't stop racing.
I just needed to know if Monty was okay.

Bryce pulled over.
Slamming his head against the seat.

"License and--Bryce?"
My blood ran cold, looking over there stood my dad as he looked concerned yet angry that the other had been leading him on an almost speed chase.
I looked at my dad with worry.
"Daddy, we can explain." I began.
"Alexis?" My dad looked furious now.
"You bet your ass you're going to explain." He demanded.
Tears burned my eyes.

"Its Monty, s-something happened and now he's at the hospital." I told him now.
My dad's brows furrowed.
"The hospital.." He looked towards the location we were heading.
"That must of been Emberly on the phone earlier, is she alright?" He asked us now.
We each shrugged as I looked at him.
"Dad, we have to get to the hospital." I told him.
He sighed taking his hat off then nodded.
"Alright, but stay behind me. Understand?" He asked.
We nodded.

In seconds we were doing eighty in a fifty five, flying down the road as other cars threw themselves out of the way.
I felt like I was going to be sick.

When we got to the hospital, I practically launched myself out of the car as I stumbled, running inside the cold building where Emberly had been waiting.
A light tan blanket wrapped around her, with tears stained to her cheeks.
She looked to me and got to her feet immediately.

"Lexi-"
I wrapped my arms around her, hugging her tightly before looking at her.
"Is he alive?" I asked.
She nodded as more tears formed.
"I don't know what happened," her voice broke.
"One minute we were flirting and being cute, and the next.. These guys showed up and they a-attacked us." She told me.
My brows knitted.
"Vampires?" I questioned quietly.
She nodded frowning.

I bit my lip.
"Was there one with black hair and blue eyes, that you can recall? Just a few inches shorter than Bryce?" I asked her.
Emberly shook her head.
"No, but it was hard to tell.. I think they were outsiders, Lex. They were going to kill us, but then I blacked out and when I came to my senses. Monty was on the ground unconscious, and one of the vampires were dead.. the other two were no where to be found, I.."
"Shh." I cut her off, hugging the other as I frowned deeply.
"He's going to be fine." Tears burned my eyes.

Bryce and Sage ran inside with my dad right behind them.
"Is he okay?" Sage asked.
Emberly shrugged.
"They took him back as soon as we got here." She told her.
"Em, your wrist." Bryce looked to the bite mark on her wrist, that was bleeding.

My dad gently took her wrist then frowned.
"You need stitches." He pulled her away from us to the nearest nurse.

I crossed my arms as I looked to them.
"I don't know, she said it was vampires that attacked them." I whispered quietly.
"Carter?" Sage questioned.
I shook my head.
"No way, he didn't have a reason to hurt either of them, they haven't done anything." I said.
"They didn't have to do anything, vampires do what they want apparently." Bryce said now.

I looked to him as tears slipped.
"Please, don't accuse him. We don't have proof, when Monty wakes up. We can talk to him about it, see if he remembers who it was, if it was anyone we'd know." I said now.
Bryce's jaw ticked before looking away.

My dad walked up to us with crossed arms.
"Emberly's having to get stitches, but they told me they're keeping Monty over night. Whatever attacked him, has the same bite marks that matched the last kid they brought in. Gabriel Young, I think? But, I'm going to step outside and call Monty's mom and let her know whats going on." He looked to me to make sure I was okay, before I nodded in response.

I took a seat, exhaling sharply as Sage and Bryce took a seat next to me.
I leaned my head back against the wall, my eyes closed as I frowned deeply.

"Lex." My eyes opened to look to Sage, but they looked past as a figure walked in.
I got to my feet with tears in my eyes.
Carter stood there, looking out of breath as his eyes locked with mine.

Without thinking we both walked up to each other in a fast pace.
He took my wrist as I ignored the hold, wrapping my arms around the other.
"My cousin told me he saw vampires around some kids in a cemetery, I wasn't sure why. But I had to know you were okay." He cupped my face with his hands, his eyes examining mine.
"Are you okay?" He asked me.
I managed a weak smile as tears fell.
"I'm fine, but Monty isn't." I told him now.

He looked past me to Bryce and Sage who were both looking our way.
He looked back to me.
"The doctors can't know it was a vampire, Lexi. If they find out, they-"
"I know." I nodded as my hands wrapped around his wrists as he looked at me.
I looked at him.
"It'll be another animal attack." I told him.
He looked at me.
"Your best friend is hurt and you're willing to lie in order to protect us?" He asked me.

I frowned softly.
"I don't know who attacked Monty tonight, but I'm not going to point fingers at who it could of been. I won't risk you and your families safety, I know I'll always come last before them, but-"
"I didn't mean it like that." Carter cut me off with a frown.
"I was upset and confused, and with Jace watching. He expects me to be cruel to the humans, after what.."
"What your last girlfriend did.." I nodded looking at him.
"Amy told me about what happened, Carter I had no idea." I told him now.

He caressed my face, frowning softly.
"I wanted to keep you away from our secret, so this wouldn't happen. I don't want you to get hurt because you know about us." He told me.
I looked at him.
"You don't have to worry about me, I won't spill your secret.. but, Emberly does know vampires are here in town." I told him.

He looked confused.
I looked over my shoulder, before motioning the other to follow me outside.

We walked over to the bench as we took a seat.
"My friend I told you about the other day, vampires killed her parents and she said it was a vampire that attacked Monty.. s-she said they were going to kill them, but she blacked out and when she woke up. One was dead and the other two were missing, Carter.. Monty lost a lot of blood." I told him with worry.

Carter looked at me.
"I'm so sorry this happened Lexi." He hugged me now as I let out a cry this time.
The tears fell.
"But as long as Monty didn't ingest any of that vampires blood, or died at any point. He'll be fine." He told me.
I looked at him.
"Ingest their blood..?" I questioned.
Carter frowned.
"If a human dies after ingesting a vampires blood, after a few days of changing. That human will turn into one of us." He explained.

Fear raced through me.
"What if Monty-"
"I'll stay here over night and when they allow visitors or I see an opening. I'll run in there and check his blood, but with him losing a lot of it like you said. I doubt that vampire had plans to change him, or they would of done so." He told me.
I nodded wanting to feel relieved, but I was still worried.

Carter looked at me frowning.
"I'm going to go home, and inform my family I'll be staying the night here. I'll be back shortly." He told me before walking off, instead of vanishing with it being a public place.
I wrapped my arms around myself, heading back inside of the hospital.
----
Carter ran straight home as soon as he was out of sight.
Nearly taking the door down of the home they lived in, and made his way straight into the kitchen.
Before slamming the other male figure against the wall, hissing darkly at the other.

"You have a lot of nerve, putting Lexi's life at risk like that." He growled.
Jace shoved the other off, with a massive grin.
"Oh fuck off, she wasn't even nearby. Your princess was safe at the disgusting cafe you brought me to, or were you too depressed to even notice her last night?" He asked shoving the other off, as he adjusted his shirt.

Carter glared at him.
"She could of been there last night, Jace." He spat.
"And what if she had been hm?" Jace got in the others face.
"If she had been there with those two love birds, what do you think would of happened? I could of easily ripped into her, just like I did with that boy." He growled now.
Carter grabbed the others collar, slamming him back up against the wall.

"Alright, you two stop. You're behaving like children, and if Irina sees you. She'll kill you herself, for embarrassing her." Came Nicole's voice behind the other.
A blood packet in her hand, her blue eyes with a tint of red locked on the two with amusement, despite her scolding.

Jace smirked at Carter.
"You raced all this way, just to pick a fight with me. Have you forgotten?"
Carter stared back at him as Jace's eyes went black, before hissing as he lifted the other off his feet.
Slamming Carter into the boarded floor, breaking it beneath him.

"We're your god damn family, not them!" He spat now as the others appeared from the sound.
Carter lied there as Jace held him in place.
"Those humans will kill us without a second thought, because of the threat we pose as. That human girl you're trying so hard not to wrap yourself around? The moment you slip and hurt her or one of those friends of hers? She'll tell the whole town, that the vampires are back in Crossroads." Jace got off the other, ripping Carter to his feet.

"You will be reliving 1884 all over again, my dear brother. So I suggest, you stop going soft." Jace tugged him closer, his lips to the others ear.
"Before I get sick of your pussy ass, and make a meal out of her myself." He warned.

Jace shoved the other away from him as he grinned deviously.
"Now, why exactly did you come here. Thinking you, of all vampires could pose as some threat. To someone like me?" He asked.
Carter glared.
"You left the human alive, that was messy of you Jace." He said now.
Jace cocked a brow at him.
"Who's to say I left him alive on purpose? If the kid dies that easily after a midnight snack, then he really lived to be a disappointment." He said walking over to the fridge, pulling out a blood packet.

"Plus!" He grinned.
"Like you, I also am interested in that human. Except mine doesn't stick his nose in others business, and he's not some angsty teenager that makes me want to throw up." He said now.

Carter frowned at him.
"So what, you're just going to make him your chew toy?" He asked.
Jace shrugged.
"Who knows? Maybe I'll turn him, or better yet. I'll get tired of him, and kill him just so I'll depress your princess into suicide." He said with a shrug.

Carter glared.
"What happened to you Jace?" He demanded.
Jace made a face.
"Are you referring to before you slammed me into a wall, thinking you had balls or before that?" He asked.
Carter looked at him.
"You used to be less of a dick, is my question. What fucking changed that?" He asked him.

Jace looked at his empty packet before tossing it in the can.
"Who can say what happened? Perhaps I got tired of being nice all the damn time to a bunch of disappointing rejects that call themselves vampires!" He yelled, locking eyes with everyone in the room.

"Oh yeah, I'm talking about the fuckers who make a mess and leave the bodies there. If you're going to drink someone dry, fucking toss their body in a dumpster or the river. We were forced to come here, and if we get ourselves killed. Because you guys want to be lazy?" His eyes went back to black.
"You'll have me to deal with." He warned.

"Alright Jace, easy does it." Came Luther's voice.
Everyone froze up as the father figure vampire walked into the room.
An amused grin plastered on his face.
"Don't forget, these are your siblings and cousins. Do not make an enemy of yourself in your own home, it won't end well." He told the other.

Luther's red eyes pierced Carter now.
"Is there an explanation on why, my floor is now destroyed?" He questioned with a frown.
Jace looked to Carter then back to Luther.
"Carter is going back to his old ways, there's a girl hes after. A human girl." He told the other.
Luther looked to Jace now, he glanced to Carter with a smirk.

Without warning.
His hand wrapped around Jace's neck, slamming the other into the wall.
"Please do remind me, because I don't recall it. But did I ever once, ask you for the explanation. Jace?" His brows knitted.
Jace breathed heavily as he clawed the others hand to be released.
Luther only cocked his head, squeezing down on the others neck.
"Well?" He asked.
"N-No, Luther." He managed to get out.

Luther smirked dropping the other as Jace gasped for air.

Luther turned to Carter.
"Another human? Are we really taking a trip down memory lane now?" He asked him.
Carter's eyes were on Jace who was massaging his neck, glaring daggers at Luther.
"It wasn't intentional Luther, it just happened." He told the other.
Luther nodded as if he understood before back handing the other.
Carter stood there, blinking as the stinging sensation echoed in his face.

"It just happened? You act as if you had no control, does the human have compulsion?" Luther asked him now.
Carter managed to make eye contact.
"No sir."
"Then why the fuck are you so damn stupid?" Luther demanded.
"Are you really going to risk the lives of your family, over another human?" He asked him.

Carter looked at him.
"She said she wouldn't say anything, that she wouldn't risk our secret getting out." He told the other.
Luther smirked.
"Oh she said that did she?" He opened his arms as he grinned.
"Well relax my children, if the human promises to keep her mouth shut. We have nothing to fear." He turned fast back to Carter, his red eyes glowing.
"What kind of fool do you take me for?" He spat.

Luther looked to the others.
"Does anyone else have anything to share with me? You should all be lucky that it was me that came down, and not my wife." He growled.
No one said a word.
Luther looked to Carter and Jace.
"Both of you, clean your god damn acts up. We're vampires, don't pick petty fights like those disgusting humans do, we're two different beings. Remember that, and if I have to come down here a second time to end a fight. So fucking help me, I'll kill you both." He warned storming away with the sound of a door slamming.

Jace glared harshly towards Carter.
"Thanks you dick, now we're both on his shit list." He spat storming into his room.

Carter looked to the others as Amy walked up, her arms crossed.
"You shouldn't defend her in a home of vampires, Carter. I know how you feel, but Luther and the others see her and the rest of the humans as nothing more than food and threats. Be careful from now on." She told him.

Carter looked to her with a nod.
"I need to get back to the hospital." He told her.
Amy frowned.
"Is that kid okay? Claudia said Jace came home both shaken and excited." She said now.
Carter looked to her confused.
"He'll be fine, and did she say why he was shaken?" He asked.
She shook her head.
"No, just that he refused to talk to anyone. He even got in Devin's face about it, after that he locked himself up." She said.

Carter frowned.
"Well," he looked to Jace's closed door.
"He did it to himself, whatever it was. I don't care, if he wants to suffer alone, let him." He frowned softly.
"I'll see you later." He said before vanishing.
----
I looked back to the doors that opened as Carter walked in.
I frowned at the right sleeve of his jacket that was torn, it wasn't like that before.
Bryce looked to him as Carter came straight to me, taking a seat.
"I wasn't actually sure if you were coming back." I said now.
Carter looked to me.
"I told you I would, but I didn't tell the entire family I'd be coming back here. Only Amy really knows." He told me now.

I frowned softly but nodded.
"Is everything okay? I noticed your sleeve was torn." I pointed out.
Carter blinked then looked to his jacket, sighing he took it off.
"Me and Jace got into it before I left, which involved a lot more drama than I wanted. But I can get it sewn up. No big deal." He told me.

My eyes fell on Emberly now who walked up to us with her wrist bandaged.
"I thought you were getting stitches?" I questioned.
Emberly looked at me.
"Nah, your dad exaggerated just a little. The bite wasn't deep enough for them, the nurse told me herself." She said now.

I frowned softly with a nod.
"Um, well. Emberly, this is Carter." I introduced the two now.
Emberly blinked looking at Carter who stared back.
"Well hi there, you must be the one who had my sister all broken hearted these last few days." She said with a smile on her face.

I blushed as Carter glanced to me then back to her.
"Yup, that's me. Its nice to meet you." He said offering his hand to her.
She studied his hand for a moment, before taking it.
The two froze as she removed hers from his, staring at him with shock.
He looked at her the same way.

My dad walked up to us now.
"Alright kids, I need to get you home. Bryce, I trust you can get Sage home?" He said now.
Bryce got to his feet.
"Of course." He looked to the girl curled up on the bench, fast asleep.
He smirked carefully lifting the other up, as he turned to me and Emberly.
"I'll see you guys in school, night." He said walking out with Sage.

I looked to Carter who smiled at me.
"I'll let you know what I hear." He told me.
I nodded walking out with Emberly.
----
"Do you want to tell me what that was about back there?" I asked inside of my room, sitting criss cross in front of Emberly who undressed.
She turned to me, pulling her shirt over her head.
"You do know he's a vampire, right?" She asked me.
I sucked in some air, staring back at her.

She made a face.
"I'm guessing you know but you've been trying to keep it from us." She crawled into the bed with no pants on, just her blue panties and black t-shirt.
I groaned.
"I can't tell anyone, I promised I wouldn't." I told her.
Emberly looked at him.
"Lexi, he could of been the one who hurt Monty." She said now.

"It wasn't him." I looked at her.
"He said outsiders are starting to come here, and he said it had to be one of them. His family want to stay out of sight." I told her now.

Emberly didn't look convinced.
"Why did he stay back at the hospital tonight?" She asked me.
I brought my knees to my chest.
"He wants to make sure that Monty didn't ingest any blood." I told her.
Emberly made a face.
"He didn't though? Lexi I saw it, who ever that vampire was? They bit into Monty's neck and tossed him to the ground, they never poured their blood in his mouth." She told me.

I frowned at her.
"I thought you blacked out?" I asked.
She looked at me.
"I did after I thought Monty was dead, I panicked and blacked out."
"So you were awake enough to make sure no vampire did anything?" I asked her.
She nodded with a frown.

I laid back now.
My arms across my chest.
"I may skip school tomorrow, spend the day at the hospital." I told her now.
She laid back next to me.
"Alright girl, if that's what you want. I'll give you my notes that I take in class, and if any teachers ask your whereabouts. I'll let them know whats up." She said turning her lamp off.

Frowning softly, I nodded.
Turning mine off next.