36.

**Devin's Pov.**

"Should we be concerned about having the enemy in just a mere cell in the basement below the next?" Ebony questioned inside of Irina's room.
Irina's eyes fell to Luther who's arms crossed.
"I would rather you children try to forget we have the witch Deidre, and her pet Abel locked away in  one basement below the next. Rather, I'd like for us to try to help the boy who is locked in the room below this one." He stated.

"Kipper?" Carter questioned confused.
Luther nodded.
"From my understanding, Kipper has been under Deidre's compulsion for a rather long time. Based on how he acts, he also seems fairly young for a fresh blood." He frowned.
"Monty is sixteen as well, what difference does that make based on his actions?" Jace demanded.
I frowned looking at Luther who looked at the other.

"The difference, Jace. Is the fact, Kipper has been abused too many times with his mind wiped completely each time." He told him.
Jace glared at the other.

"He seemed terrified of Abel." I found myself stating.
Jace glanced to me as did Carter and Nathan.
Luther looked at me.
"How could you tell?" He inquired.
I frowned.
"Abel is the aggressive type of vampire, I saw it the day he.." I looked away now as my own non beating heart, began to ache.
Inhaling sharply I looked at him.

"I saw it the day he killed Kane and Claudia, the yellow haired vampire killed Alaric. But Abel is the type to act out with his emotions, he enjoyed killing them. Just like tonight, he was going to enjoy killing Jace." I stated now.
Jace glared at me before frowning.
"Do you think he's been abusing Kipper?" He questioned lowly.

I nodded without thinking.
"I do, based on how he acted out tonight because of Kipper showing up, ruining their plans. Just from how angry he seemed to get, it was obvious he has anger towards the younger vampire. I believe when Deidre's back is turned, Abel was abusing him, both mentally and physically." I explained.

Stella stepped up now.
"He did mention earlier, he didn't want to be alone." She said now.
Cole nodded.
"He kept repeating that quietly the entire time we walked, its possible that Kipper has been locked up quite a few times. Even now." He stated.

Irina looked to Luther with a frown.
"What do you recommend we do darling?" She questioned.
Luther frowned deeply.
"He can't roam free here, its too much of a risk. I won't allow an outsider to endanger my family here, he'll remain locked up until I've seen some sort of progress with his adaptions of living here." He stated.

"Against his will?" Ebony looked at him frowning.
"Its against his will, or we kill him. Which would you prefer?" Nathan questioned.
I glared at him as Ebony growled.
"He doesn't have to die! We could just use compulsion on hi-"
"Then you're not better than they are." Stella looked at her with knitted brows.

"Look, Ebony. I understand how you feel, that kid is terrified. But as stated before, we don't exactly know if hes acting or if this is for real. But we can't risk letting him go, knowing he could possibly run for help. Or he could go down and let those two out, because even though it chills me to the bone. That Abel guy? He'd slaughter us all without a second thought, he's too far gone with his switch off. And I won't risk losing Sage over a stranger and your pity for him." She told her.

Ebony stood there, glaring at the ground and I knew she was upset.
But Stella had all of the right points in her statement.
We really didn't know if Kipper was acting, or if he really was just a terrified fresh blood.
And if he wasn't acting, we still couldn't just let him go.
Because again, it fell back to him possibly running off to that nest of Deidre's, letting them know her and Abel were captured.

"Devin." I flinched at the sound of my name coming from Luther's mouth.
I looked up at him.
"Sir?" I questioned.
Luther looked at me.
"Would you look after Kipper for us?" He requested.
I blinked.
"But my paperwork, and the files and-"
"It can be on hold for now, I'd rather someone try and understand Kipper. I'd suggest you, Ebony." His eyes fell on her.
"But I just can't trust your emotions right now, I understand you don't like him locked up. But I can't risk you letting him out, just because he may seem like the good guy." He explained.

Ebony said nothing but nodded in small response.

I bit my lip.
"Are you okay with this request of mine, Devin?" Luther asked me.
I looked up at him.
"I don't have a choice, do I?" I asked him now.
He smiled.
And that was horrifying, because Luther never smiles.
"Of course not." He told me.
..
Well shit.
----
I wasn't a babysitter.
I wasn't even mentally prepared for Lexi to have that baby.
..
I stood there frowning deeply.
I had no idea when I'd even need to tell them the truth.
Irina was against them knowing.
But it felt wrong with them being in the dark.
Lexi had the right to know.
They both did.

But Irina was right about something.
It'd terrify them both.

I walked down the hall, the room with the bars acting as a door came into view and I felt my stomach tightening.
I wasn't good with newcomers.
Not to mention.
Bad guys.
We weren't sure if Kipper was the bad guy here.
Because he came out of nowhere.
And he seemed pretty messed up.
Based on whatever that Abel guy did to him.
..
It gave me chills just thinking about it.

I walked up to the door, staring through the gaps between the bars looking for Kipper.
My brows knitted before jumping back when he appeared right in front of me.
Staring but it felt more like a glare than anything.

"I want out." He told me.
I frowned at him, feeling massive deja vu.
This was exactly how Monty was when his transitioning finally hit.
But this kid was already a vampire.
Just shaken up.

"I can't let you out. If you've seen a single movie, which I doubt you have, then you'd understand the bad guys don't get to freely walk, just because they want too." I stated.
Kipper frowned at me.
"I'm not.." He said softly.
"We don't know that for certain." I told him as he glared.
"Who gives you the right to be God?" He shot now.

My eyes grew wide as he glared at me.
"I want my Mistress and Abel, and I want to go home. Let me out." He told me.
I stood there, reaching for the lock but let out a sharp gasp feeling Nathan's hand snatching my wrist as he glared harshly at Kipper.

"Using compulsion on the ones who can end your life in a second? Very stupid kid." He growled bitterly.
Kipper's eyes grew wide as his brows knitted before looking at me.
"I d-didn't mean too! I didn't know I even was, I'm sorry!" He cried falling to his knees as his entire body trembled.

I looked to Nathan who's brow was arched.
"How does a vampire not know when they're using compulsion?" He questioned frowning at the other in front of us who remained knelt.
Kipper frowned deeply.
"T-They never taught us anything, I just know I'm some rare thing.. I still don't know half of these abilities that are flowing through me, a-and they never told us how compulsion worked." He looked up at me, this pain in his eyes.
"I really didn't mean to use it on you, I swear. It was an accident." He looked away frowning softly.

I rubbed the side of my neck as Nathan frowned at me.
"Luther just rejected Ebony watching him, and here you are basically doing what he was afraid of. If you can't handle this simple task, go back to that desk of yours and bore yourself Devin." He growled.
I glared at him.
"I wasn't even trying to let him out, Nathan." I said bitterly.
He glared at me.

"Don't fight.." We both stopped at the softness of his voice.
Kipper remained knelt there, this scared look on his face as he looked up at us.
Nathan glared at him.
I glared at Nathan.
"If you're going to be an ass, go somewhere else. I can watch Kipper." I told him now.
Nathan looked at me, frowning deeply now.
"I'm not going far, not when you're weak enough to fall under a fresh bloods compulsion." He stated before walking off without giving me a chance to say anything else.

I inhaled sharply before kneeling down in front of the bars, looking at Kipper.
"Why did you not want us to fight?" I asked him now.
Kipper frowned at the question.
"That's all anyone does.. back at home, Mistress just wants us to fight.. she doesn't like the weak, and with me being rare.. she expects more out of me.. and when I slip up, I'm always beat. And now, when we get out of here.. Abel will.." His brows knitted painfully as I watched his eyes glisten with tears.

I hated myself for even pushing the subject as I looked at him.
"Abel will what, Kipper?" I frowned.
Heat rose to his cheeks.
"B-Beat me and other things I don't want to say, please don't ask me to say!" He cried now embarrassed.
I had a few ideas of where this could of went, and it made me sick.
Abel was in fact a monster.

Kipper was messed up, because of him.

"I won't make you say anything you don't want too." I told him.
Kipper looked at me, his brows knitted.
"I used compulsion on you earlier, you should be furious. Not caring about me." He said now.
I looked at him.
"You made a mistake and I'm honestly not the hot head type, who gets upset over mistakes you really don't have control over. I was upset, but hearing you out. I'm not now." I looked at him as he held this unsure expression.

"You really won't make me say things I don't want too?" He asked now.
I shook my head.
He frowned seeming to calm down now as he sat down, his right hand holding the bar as he stared at his lap for a moment.
"When we get out.. they're going to kill me." He spoke softly.
I frowned at him.
"I don't think you're getting out, Kipper. Deidre and Abel especially, they're real dangerous and he killed three of our friends here. It's possible that they'll be killed soon." I told him.

Kipper shook his head.
"They'll get out, once Sun finds out. They'll come here and kill everyone, myself included." He told me.
I frowned at him.
"What happens if Deidre and Abel are both killed before they get here?" I asked slowly to make sure not to upset him.
Kipper bit his lip.
"I..I don't know," he looked at me.
"But you're all too weak compared to Sun, Abel, Desmond and Pixie. They're all very strong compared to everyone here. The only ones who could possibly stand a chance against them would be.." Kipper thought for a moment.
"That angry guy, the guardian and your mate." He told me.

I blushed now.
"Nathan isn't my mate." I informed him.
Kipper blinked.
"He's not?" He asked.
I shook my head and he pursed his lips looking away.
"That's kind of awkward.. sorry, you smell like each other so I assumed." He said softly.
I bit my lip now.
"So you're telling me, out of everyone in this house. Jace, Luther and Nathan are the only ones who can actually take on any of Deidre's children?" I asked him.

Kipper nibbled his lip thoughtfully.
"There is another.. he's like me, I think? He was the one Mistress was after." He told me.
My brows furrowed.
"Jace wouldn't let Monty fight, he's too much of a stubborn jack ass to allow that to happen." I told him.

"This," my blood ran cold.
"Stubborn jack ass was sent to come get you." I heard Jace speak behind me coldly.
I stood up as Kipper flinched stepping away from the bars.
I turned to Jace.
"I was only stating facts." I told him.
Jace glared.
"Shove them down your throat and choke on that, instead of Nathan's dick." He growled bitterly.

I glared at him.
"We-"
"Don't even try to tell me, or anyone you two are not in fact fucking, Devin. You smell too much like each other, and its making my eyes burn." He spat as his eyes fell on Kipper who flinched at the unwanted attention.
"Luther and Irina both want to see you." He told me, his eyes on the other.
"What? But I just got down here." I argued.

Jace arched a brow.
"Maybe you should thank the one fucking you, he's the one who informed them about the little incident that just happened with this one's uncontrolled compulsion." He growled.
I turned red but nodded.
"Are you taking over and watching him?" I dared myself to ask.
Jace scoffed.
"Fuck no, I'm going back with you. He doesn't have to be constantly supervised in that room, if hes smart enough. He'll know as soon as he tries to make a run for it, we'll kill him. Now go." He barked at me.

I glared but said nothing as we walked away from Kipper.
----
"I picked you to watch Kipper, because I believed you would follow through and not give in to compulsion. Devin." Luther said in the room with everyone else.
I stood there frowning at him.
"It was uncontrolled and he wasn't even aware he was doing it, Luther. He told me and Nathan both. They never taught him how it works." I stated.

Everyone began to whisper as I frowned deeply, bawling my fists.
"He has all of these abilities flowing through him, that hes a confused and emotional mess. He's scared shitless, because he's convinced the others will come here to rescue Deidre and Abel." I said which earned the chatter to stop as it died down and all eyes fell on me.

Luther frowned at me.
"He told you this?" He asked walking down.
I nodded looking at him.
"He said that if the others come here, they'll all kill us. Including him." I stated.

"What?" Stella looked at me frowning.
"He's one of theirs! Why the fuck would they kill him?" She demanded.
"For ruining their plan." Cole stated looking to her.
I bit my lip.
"He said the strongest ones that would pose as a threat were Abel, Sun, Desmond and Pixie." I told them.

Irina frowned now.
"The others would not pose as a threat?" She asked.
I frowned at her.
"He didn't say, he only told me the strongest. Just like he told me who was the strongest here, that could take them each on." I frowned looking at them.

"Jace, Nathan, Luther and Monty are our strongest." I stated.

I tensed hearing Jace laugh.
We all looked to him as he leaned against the wall, his arms crossed.
"Monty isn't going anyway near that psycho." He stated now.
Luther frowned.
"Jace, if Monty could he-"
"I said no!" Jace barked glaring at him now.

We all froze as Luther glared at him.
"Are you telling me as your guardian what will and won't happen?" He asked walking up to the other.
Jace glared at him.
"I'm not throwing Monty into this mess Luther, he'll get himself killed. Joshua is already in a fucking coma, the only ability Monty has control over is his fucking past vision. He would be no use to anyone." He stated.

"Wait," Carter looked at Jace.
"Joshua is in a coma?" He asked him.
Jace glared.
"Well not a real coma dumb ass, the coma where the fucker won't get up because he wants to be a god damn drama queen like before." He growled.

"Enough!" Luther barked glaring at Jace who glared back.
"Monty could be of use-"
"I thought I just told you no?" Jace looked at him like he was the stupidest person in this room.

We all froze as Jace screamed in pain.
Like he actually screamed.

No one touched him as his arms crossed backwards and he was slammed into the wall, crushing it behind him.
Blood dripped down the side of his face.
And for the first time ever.
I was afraid.

Nathan stood in the center, glaring at Jace.
"You are possibly the most annoying ass guy I have spent the last four hundred years with, all of the constant whining and complaining." He walked up to him as Jace hissed in pain.
Nathan's eyes wouldn't leave Jace.
"Here we all are, busting our asses. Losing a few vampires, who's lives won't be in fucking vain. And you want to tell Luther, that Monty is the most fragile fucking vampire here and that he won't help us fight?" Nathan grabbed the others throat.

"Nathan!" Stella barked as he glared harshly at her.
The air in the room fell insanely thick.

"Maybe if I kill here you and now, it'll give him a reason too? With you out of the way, he'll fucking fight to avenge his mate." Nathan squeezed down on Jace's neck who winced in pain.
"So how about it, Jace? Ready for that sweet death you begged for like a slut back in the days, or are you going to stop making that boy in your room seem like he can't fight?" He questioned.

Jace glared.
"Go fuck yourself, Nathan." He spat at the other.

Nathan ripped out his knife and before anyone could even run to stop him.
Nathan slammed the blade, an inch away from Jace's face.
Holding it there as he glared at him.
"And you wonder why I hope you die, maybe we'll get lucky and you'll die soon. One less piece of shit to deal with." He hissed storming out of the room, slamming the door behind him.

We all stood there.
I was actually shaking.
I had no idea that Nathan could really be that terrifying.
That intimidating.
It was almost hot.
..
Yeah, now wasn't the time to thing about sex.
This was far from it.

"What do we do? If Jace won't have Monty fight to help keep everyone safe?" Nicole questioned.
My eyes fell on the blonde as everyone frowned.

"We'll be fine." Luther said at last, frowning with his arms crossed.
"Perhaps Jace will have a change of heart and he'll ask Monty." He said.
I looked around for the hot head but saw him nowhere.
He must of ran after that scene.
Not that I blamed him.
I really thought Nathan was fixing to kill him.

"But even with the three of us, I'm sure we can handle those four. I'm not asking my children to fight, but if you want to defend your home. You may." He stated now.
Stella smirked.
"As if we were going to sit back and let you three do all of the work? If those fuckers want to come here and try to take back the enemy, we'll kill them. We're not as weak as they may think we are." She stated.

That seemed to bring everyone into agreement.
I stood there but frowned.
I felt like I needed to speak with Nathan, to calm him down somehow.
But he seemed like he was in the murderous mood now, thanks to Jace's stubbornness.

Biting my lip.
I left the room, no one noticing me except Ebony who dismissed it, by talking to Darian.
----
I rubbed the side of my neck walking upstairs to the attic.
The music was blasting and I had to cover my ears as the vibrations echoed in my chest.
Like before.
I didn't knock as I walked into Nathan's room.

He sat shirtless on his bed, actually sharpening stakes with his knife.
Glaring harshly as he skinned the wood.
The music was so loud, the air was thick.
And there was only one thing on my mind.
Nathan.

I dared myself by bringing my hands to his, stopping him from sharpening the stake.
He didn't object as I took the blade and stake, sitting them aside as I crawled into his lap.
Straddling him as my lips pressed to his.
Moaning at the feeling of his hands on my ass as his lips fell to my neck, kissing me as I grinded against the other.
I frowned hearing him growl as his hands moved away and the music died down.

"Not now." He told me now.
I remained in his lap, staring at him.
"Okay." I bit my lip as he lied back, bringing me with him as his hands rested on my lower back.
Nathan lied there staring at the ceiling.

"I hate stubborn jack asses like him, he's such a selfish prick." He growled lowly.
I laced my fingers on his chest, resting my chin on them as I looked at the other.
"He just cares about Monty, Nathan." I told him.
"And he forgets that Monty is capable of taking care of himself, Devin." He growled.
I sighed softly laying against him.
"Jace can't help he is a protective mate Nathan." I looked at him.
"If Kipper had said my name, would of you been the same way?" I asked him.

Nathan smirked softly.
"Don't ever compare me to Jace, Devin. I'll toss you out of this room so fast, it'll be like. Devin who?" He said.
I rolled my eyes at him.
"I'm being serious." I stated.
"I think you're capable of taking care of yourself, Devin. If you didn't space out." He said thumping me in the forehead as I glared at him.
"I don't space out." I argued.
"Oh yes you do, trust me." Nathan smirked softly, tired as his eyelids threatened to close.
I huffed softly as he grinned.

"If that kid had said your name, I would of said you wouldn't fight either." He said finally, his eyes closed but I knew he was still awake.
I laid my head on his chest now, frowning.
"Why wouldn't you let me fight?" I asked him.
Nathan went quiet.

I lifted my head up and sure enough.
He was asleep.

Sighing I laid my head back down.

I know that it wasn't my place.
And I knew Irina and Luther wanted me to remain quiet.
But the guilt was killing me.

I needed to let Lexi and Carter know.
They had the right to know.
Even if it may destroy them both.