38.

"In four years.. my heart will stop?" I sat there as the words left my mouth, my hand fell to my stomach as the tears threatened to appear.
I was going to die when Cloven turned four?
I would no longer be alive?
I could feel my own heart beat pounding against my chest.
I felt like I was going to pass out.
This was too much.
First with Sage getting turned.
And now being told this?
No.
No way.

"Let me turn you." Carter took me by the shoulders and I saw the fear of losing me in his eyes, his nails digging into my shoulder as we both sat there.
I couldn't even feel the tears falling, but I knew they had from the expression of sadness appearing in my boyfriends eyes.
"Lex.." His voice broke and my god my entire body ached.

I looked back to Devin and Irina.
"If I were to turn now, what would happen to Cloven?" I asked them.
Devin's brows knitted.
"It's too much of a risk turning you, Lexi. Either your child will die before he's even born, or your heart will give out the day you give birth if you were to turn now." He told me.

Pain consumed me as the tears burned.
"What about after he's born..? What would happen then if I were to change?" I asked trying to find my voice.
Devin glanced to Irina who's arms crossed.
"No one's done it before from what I know, its possibly a smarter move to wait until after Cloven is born to be turned. But carrying a vampire's child? We are not certain what that is already doing to your cells, Lexi. Devin saw you with your son in four years from now, alive and healthy. But anything can happen." She told me calmly.

I got to my feet as my body trembled.
Carter's grip on my hand wouldn't loosen now as I stood there.
"So its still possible that I'll die even if I turn, after he's born?" I questioned.
Devin nodded.

"Then rip him out now!" Carter yelled.
I let his hand go as I turned to him with knitted brows.
"What? Carter this is our son, this-"
"No!" Carter took me by the shoulders, glaring with tears in his eyes.
"I won't lose you over a mistake like this! We can remove the baby before he's even fully developed inside of you, I'm not losing you Lexi!" He yelled at me.

I took his hands off my shoulders as I held them, squeezing gently.
"Our moment was not a mistake, I became your mate that night and because of that. We will be bringing a life into this world." I told him.
He shook his head stepping back from me.
"I can't lose you Lexi, without you. This whole life is pointless to me." He told me.
The tears fell as I stood there.
"Cloven needs you Carter, I'm not dying right now!" I yelled.
"But that thing inside of you is still going to kill you! His birth is the reason you're going to die four years later, how are you so fucking calm!? Do you not love me as much as you say you do?!" He demanded.

The room grew cold as I stood there, tears staining my cheeks from them falling so much.

I swallowed hard.
"I will always love you, damn it Carter! But I won't kill our son, if it means he'll still have a life!" I yelled at him.
Carter's eyes burned.
"No, I won't accept that. I can't." He said storming past the three of us, slamming the bedroom door as the picture frame of us fell and shattered.

"Oh my goodness." Irina hissed.
Devin's eyes remained on me.
"I'll get the broom." He stated.
I stood there, tears burning my eyes.
This wasn't happening.
I couldn't lose Carter.
But I wouldn't take away Cloven's life.
Not when it hadn't even began.

I left the room as everything inside of me ached.
Especially the bite mark on my thigh, that let others know I was mated to Carter.
To the guy I'd give my all too.
The one I loved and cherished.
With all of my heart that was still beating inside of me.

I knew bothering them was a terrible idea.
I couldn't make myself see Sage right now.
She was still asleep from the attack, and Stella had them locked in her room.
But I had to see him.
Monty.

Bracing myself, I knocked on the bedroom door.
Immediately hearing groans and soft cursing.

The bedroom door swung open and there stood Jace.
In just his shorts as he glared.
"What the fuck do you want? Its late." He hissed tired.
I couldn't control my emotions.
I stood there and automatically started crying.

Jace's brows knitted as Monty ripped the bedroom door open.
"Lexi?" He pushed Jace aside so he could step up and see me.
His brows were furrowed as the tears continued to fall.
They wouldn't stop.

"How about you two idiots stop just standing there, and let the poor princess come inside?" Joshua barked on the bed, sitting up with the light on now.

Monty blushed and immediately pulled me inside the room.
It smelled like mint and sweat, which wasn't a bad smell if I wasn't on the verge of vomiting right now.

"Lex, what's going on? Did you and Carter break up?" Monty asked me carefully.
Just his name earned a pained cry from me.
"Oh god you fucking broke her." Jace hissed at the brunet.
Monty glared.
"I did-"
"Oh you're both exhausting." Joshua got out of the bed and came over to us.

He knelt down in front of me, patiently waiting for me to stop crying and it only made me want to cry more.
But I felt myself slowly coming to a stop as Joshua frowned softly.
"When you're ready to talk, we'll be waiting to hear you. Take your time Lexi." He looked at me as my eyes burned.
I sat there trying to gather myself as my entire body trembled.

"I found out I'm dying." I let out a laugh.
But no one laughed in response.
"What?!" Monty nearly planted himself in Joshua's lap, if it wasn't for the fact he lost balance and fell backwards but popped back up, staring at me with so much concern.

"Its because you're pregnant with a vampires child, isn't it?" Jace asked now, criss crossed on the bed with his arms crossed.
I sat there, nibbling my lower lip before I frowned.
"Yes.. Devin came in earlier, and he told us I'd have four years with Cloven, before my heart came to a complete stop." I told them.

Monty's brows knitted.
"When you turn twenty one, your heart will stop? Lexi, we can turn you right now and-"
"No." I shook my head.
"Devin has already gone over that with me, if I were to turn into a vampire. Its possible I'll still die during the delivery, or Cloven will die coming out." I said, lacing my fingers together.

"What does Carter say?" Joshua asked me.
I laughed as the tears fell.
"Carter walked out, he wants me to kill our son." I stated.
Monty frowned at me.
"But you won't do it." He said.
I frowned.
"Of course not, that's another life. We did this, and if it means I may die after Cloven is born. As long as he's alive and healthy, I don't care what happens to me." I told them.

"What about after he's born?" I heard Jace question with an arched brow.
I looked to him frowning.
"They're not sure what would happen, Irina said she's never seen it happen before. They're unsure about my heart and cells, so its possible that I'll die regardless of being changed." I frowned deeply now.

Monty knelt there looking at me, his fingers now laced with mine and even though it hurt.
His knuckles remained white as his eyes refused to leave me.
"So, the possibility of you dying period, is high? Like.. there is no way to keep you from dying?" He asked me.
I shrugged feeling exhausted just thinking about it.
"I don't know Mon, I just know that Carter is avoiding me because I'm choosing our sons life over mine." I told him.

I tensed hearing a low growl from Jace.
"This is so god damn stupid." He spat getting out of bed before storming out of the room.
I sat there looking to the door.
Joshua knelt there looking to the door, before smirking softly.
"What a fucking softy." He said.
----
Jace stormed outside listening carefully before he made his way onto the roof.
His arms crossed as he walked upwards, scoffing softly as he spotted Carter in the corner.

"You're such a jackass, making your mate cry like that." He stated.
Carter jumped before looking to Jace.
"Are you really calling me a jackass, Jace?" Carter questioned.
Jace looked around.
"Well there's no one else here to call it, so yeah dumb ass. I think I am calling you a jack ass." He said.

Carter glared.
"She's going to die!" He yelled.
"That's her call!" Jace yelled at him now glaring.
"You decided to put your dick inside of her without protection, and like a stupid fuck. You came inside of her, and now look? She's pregnant with your kid, we learned that high in school Carter." He growled.
"And because of her health apparently being shit? She's going to die, but you still get something out of it. You get your son, something that will always remind you of her!" Jace was face to face with the other, glaring harshly at him.

"So don't you dare do the cliche thing where you fucking bolt, knowing your mate is going to die. Because you're not cliche Carter, you're you." Jace grabbed the other by the collar.
"So after your fucking pussy ass episode of emotions, you're going to get your ass back down there and you're going to hug your girlfriend. Because she fucking loves you, and you love her." He growled.
"If Lexi dies after Cloven turns four, then you will continue being that kids dad. Because if you bail as soon as she dies?" Jace was inches from the others face.
"I'll track you down and stake you myself." He warned.

Carter stood there, staring at Jace.
"You'd kill me? Someone you saw as your brother?" He asked him.
Jace glared.
"Brother? All I see right now, is this bastard confusing the girl downstairs in my room. My brother? He wouldn't want his mate to kill their unborn child, he'd want to man the fuck up and brace himself. Not fucking run like some coward ass chicken." Jace growled.

Carter frowned at him.
"What if this were Monty?" He asked him.
Jace glared.
"Don't involve my mate-"
"Just answer the damn question Jace, we know males can also reproduce and you and Joshua have both obviously been careful. But what if this was Monty, what if he were exactly like Lexi where his health was shit and he was told he was going to die four years after your child was born?" He asked.

Jace stood there, frowning at the other.
"Then I would brace myself as I just told you to do, it is out of our hands and I damn sure wouldn't make Monty choose his life over our child's. It is their choice to make, we are only there to step up if they die." Jace glared at him.
Carter stood there, frowning deeply.
"So, you'd be okay if your child killed him?" He pushed.

"No! Fuck no! But I wouldn't hold that shit against the kid either, they don't ask to be born Cart. They just are, and you have to accept that. Whatever happens once your son is born, you stay by your mates side. Til death do you part." He said.
Carter frowned, but said nothing.
----
My head rested on Monty's lap as he laid back on the bed, staring at the ceiling.
"So.. when Cloven is born, would that also make me an uncle?" He asked.
Joshua arched a brow at us as he sat against the bed, reading a book as he kept to himself.
I smiled softly in the others lap.
"If you promise not to be a bad influence-"
"I'm going to fail at not being a bad influence, Lexi. You know me." Monty smirked.
I grinned.
"I guess that's true, he'll also have Noah and Paul.. possibly Bryce," my eyes fell on Joshua as I bit my lip.
"Even Joshua and Jace." I stated now.

Joshua slammed the book shut and crawled over to us, resting his chin on top of his hands looking at the two of us.
"What's this about uncles and how did I fall on the list?" He asked.
I smirked softly.
"Basically a care taker of Cloven when he's born, Monty was asking if he would be an uncle and I told him that my two brothers, our friend and you and Jace would be his uncles." I told him.

Joshua arched a brow.
"Is it stressing to be a uncle? Because I don't know how to raise a kid." He confessed.
I smiled softly.
"I don't know how to either, but I'm sure it won't be hard." I said.
Joshua shrugged as the bedroom door opened and Jace walked inside.
His arms crossed.

I sat up as Joshua arched a brow.
"How did it go ya big softy?" He smirked at the other.
Jace made a face.
"I honestly don't know what you're talking about Joshua," his eyes fell on me.
"Except that Carter is waiting to talk to you, so get the fuck off my bed and go lay on your own." He hissed but I could see the playfulness in his eyes.

I hugged Monty then Joshua as I crawled out of bed.
I walked towards the door where Jace was.
"Yes, yes. I'm a genius now get the fu-"
I cut the other off as my arms wrapped around him.
He seemed to tense for a moment but soon relaxed as I smiled softly.
"Thank you, Jace." I told him.
"Uh huh." He responded but smirked softly.
----
Sage lied there, pains and aches echoing through her body but somehow managed to slowly open her eyes.
Everything felt different.
Time was still and there were loud sounds all around her.
Not in this room in general.
But everywhere else in the house.

She sat up with a wince.
The last thing she remembered was going to tell Lexi about Carter.
And the next, she felt a sharp pain in her neck and here she was.
Sitting in Stella's room with the other no where in sight.
She brought her hand to her neck, hissing softly at the tenderness.
Her brows knitted as the bedroom door carefully opened and in walked her girlfriend.

Stella held towels before her eyes fell on Sage, and she dropped them.
"You're awake!" Stella was at her sides in seconds, kissing her lips then neck before nuzzling her carefully.
"Stell..what happened?" Sage asked her.
Stella frowned softly.
She took Sage's hand placing it on the left side of her chest.
"Listen." She instructed.
Sage frowned but did as she was told, listening and feeling.

"No heartbeat.." She looked at the black haired vampire.
Stella frowned at her.
"You were killed this morning, by that vampire. Abel." She told her.
Sage's eyes grew wide.
"What?! How? When?" She demanded.
Stella took her hands.
"Breathe--wait, don't do that. You can't." She smirked.
Sage's brows knitted.
"Stella, am I really dead?" She asked her.
Stella blinked.
"No, you're drunk and this is a dream. I'm also a tree by the way." She stated.

Sage frowned punching the other.
"I'm serious!"
"Yes! Sage, babe. You my sweat delicious treat, are now a vampire." Stella smiled softly.
Sage sat there with knitted brows.
"I don't know how to feel." She confessed.
"Wait, like literally or your switch is off?" Stella asked her.
Sage blinked.
"Um.. literally? Stella, I know I wanted to be a vampire. But I wanted you to be the one to turn me, now that its already happened.., I'm so fucking confused on how to feel." She groaned.

Stella bit her lip.
"How about you stop thinking," she got in her girlfriends lap straddling her as her lips pressed to Sage's now.
"And let me distract you and show you how much I've been holding back until this point." She grinned softly.
Sage stared back at her.
"Okay, but I'm still going to be confused." She confirmed.
Stella rolled her eyes but grinned kissing the other.
----
"I want to apologize." Carter said inside of our room as I stood at the door, holding the knob as I frowned staring at him.
"Yeah, I think that's a great starter for us." I told him.
He flinched but nodded.
"I'm sorry Lexi, I panicked with the news and with you being okay just leaving me behind." He stated.
I frowned softly walking over to him, sitting down beside him as I took his hand in mine.

"I'm not okay with leaving you behind, I'm not okay leaving anything behind.. especially Cloven," I bit my lip as my eyes fell on my boyfriend.
"But we did create this little one inside of me slowly growing, and we're not backing out." I squeezed his hand.
"As a child, I always had heart problems and that was why I thought I was as white as I was.., at the time. I never thought about the existence of vampires, and passed my unusual white skin off as apart of my health problems. I stopped having the problems when I turned nine, and my parents saw that as our hope for me to be okay.." I smiled softly.
"Seven years later, I'm pregnant and being told that when I turn twenty one my heart will stop." I looked at Carter.

"I'm terrified to die Carter, but when it comes down to it. I choose our son over my own life." I told him and I knew he wasn't at all in agreement on this, but whatever him and Jace talked about.
Seemed to keep him quiet.