23

no one talked about why my brothers left. Awkwardness and silence filled the house. It was killing me. I still didn't know why they exactly left. No one talked to eachother in the house. It was deafening, the silence was deafening.

It was past midnight and I couldn't sleep. I couldn't stop thinking. I could feel the lump in my throat threatening to sob at any moment. I needed fresh air. But more than that, I needed answers.

I peaked out of the window of my room. No one. It was so peaceful outside. So dreadful in my inside. I was so use to of having Lucky sleep in my bed all these weeks, it was hard to believe we were now living apart.

I missed her, so much.

I missed my brothers, so much.

I heard a knock on my door and then the door creaked open. Dad stood behind my doorframe with a blank facial expression.

"Dad?" I asked quietly.

"Hm..." He hummed and came in. He silently sat on my bed beside me. He was in deep thoughts, looking at his feet.

"Couldn't sleep too?" I asked him.

He shook his head.

"Dad?"

"Hm.."

"Why did they left?" I came straight to the point. I didn't know from where the carriage came from in me to ask that.

He looked at me, his face showing me again a mixed expression. Hurt, guilt and anger were exposed by his eyes.

"They- We.. it was-" dad stuttered in defeat.

I placed a hand on his shoulder, "just let it out papa,"

He sighed heavily, "I-I lost"

I frowned, "what? What do you mean?"

"Well.." he let out a low defeating laugh. "I'm so lost. I'm so lost,"

I was so confused. He was being so difficult.

"Your mom is right, I broke this family apart," he continued.

I frowned.

What?

"I'm wondering why you haven't still asked me why they left in the first place,"

"I-" I started, "I always wanted to know but- I don't know. I never asked," I said disappointed in myself.

Dad nodded, "it's my stupid desire for my sons to follow my lead of becoming an engineer,"

"An engineer?"

"An engineer.." he confirmed nodding his head once.

"It started with Venky," he explained. "I told him to become an engineer,"

"And?" I asked curious.

"And .... and he denied. He wanted to do something else but engineering,"

"Why did you want him to become that? And why did you kick him out then?" I asked, confused as hell.

Dad looked at me and sighed. He took my hands him his large ones. Mine completely disappearing in his.

"I didn't kick him out because he denied to become an engineer..."

Here I was, still in utter confusion.

"I kicked him out because my- my,"

"Your what?" I asked, desperate of an answer.

"Because his ego was hurt,"

A voice said.

We looked back at the door, mum stood there with sternness in her eyes. She came towards us and sat on the chair in front of us.