Morgan Comes Home

Morgan is back from her trip to Houston, to see her Dad. I can hear her Miata coming up the road to the house. I am tuned to all the families cars, but hers is one of the easiest. That and my parents Diesel pusher RV.

I heard her come in the kitchen door, drop her bag, and head upstairs. She knows I am upstairs because she can hear me typing on my laptop.

She came into my new office. I moved up here from my old one downstairs because Diana needed a downstairs bedroom when she was a baby. Now our little Rachel sleeps in that room with her sister when she is not demanding to sleep with her parents.

Rachel is very demanding.

"Where are the girls?" Morgan predictably asked.

"Mom and Dad left a little while ago to take them to the park. Go swimming. That kind of thing. How is your dad?"

I scented Morgan when she came into the office, and now I swiveled to look at her face. It is a mask of self-control. To anyone else with the possible exception of Jessica, and of course Angel, she would look calm, cool, and collected.

I know Morgan better than that. I have lived with her for years. Loved her for longer. Shared her blood. I know Morgan better than anyone.

My question got a slight shoulder heave. A mini-shrug. "I told him I am married. He wanted to see pictures of my new spouse. I showed him pictures of Jessica." Morgan said, very evenly. Almost without inflection.

I waited.

Nothing.

"And?" I pushed.

"And nothing. He said he hoped I am very happy with her. I am, so that was easy. Speaking of tall, dark, and Amazonian, when is she back from Mexico?"

Morgan is changing the subject. She is silly if she thinks I will let us talking about Jessica distract me. "Day after tomorrow. Helen too. Helen caught a new male Vampire subcommittee case, so she and Nova and Becky are convening at my least favorite church to have a look at their newest problem child."

I gave her the news and saw Morgan grab it as a way to move away from talking about herself.

"It is Helen's subcommittee turn again already? I thought Parole duty rotated through others on the Council. There cannot have been that many new male Vampires already." Morgan asked, showing slightly more animation.

"I asked about that exact same thing. Helen told me that Victoria thought that my case went so well, she wanted to see if that was a fluke."

"That was Jessica? And you? Not the subcommittee. Despite them, perhaps?" Morgan pointed out.

"I know. I agree. Let us not change the subject away from you, however: So, My very own and deeply beloved wife. Morgan: What is wrong?"

Morgan gave me a stoney look. I sat, hands crossed in lap to show her I am going to wait however long I need to. Morgan gave me an exasperated look. "Fine. Like I can hide anything from you. Or Angel."

"I am not sure why you would try, or even want to. Have I done something to displease you?" I asked, worried.

"No, my love, you did not. I am not done thinking about it yet is all, and you know I do not like to share things that are not yet fully formed thoughts and feelings." Morgan looked at her hands. "Something is wrong with my dad. I do not know what. He does not smell right. Only something you or I would notice. I need to get him to Austin to get a full workup from Jessica and your mom. I am worried. He said he has seen a Doctor, and they told him he is in excellent health. He is not."