Pull Over

Morgan and I were not alone with the body very long. The gun attracted Vampire ears.

I pulled Morgan's resisting body to my side and held her. She stayed stiff for a while, not wanting to let go of her rage.

I was not helping her with that goal.

"I love you, my Morgan." I whispered in her ear.

By the time the other four skidded around the SUV, ready for battle, Morgan had relaxed in my arms.

"I love you too, my Adrian." She said, putting her arms around me.

Jessica looked down at the bloodless kill (not counting some blood issuing from Tommy's nose and mouth). "I'll be damned." She looked over at the two of us for confirmation, so I tilted my head at Morgan to indicate who did that.

Morgan had enough of her sense-of-self back to say "If YOU had done it Jessica, it would have been all the way around."

"Yes. Very bloody half-ass of you to kill him that way." Helen said with zero edge to her snark, and actually some humor in its place.

Denise sighed. "It is like I keep saying: Fucking Crew. All we do is fix security cams."

Rachel told her. "Given that there is a body on the ground we need to get OUT of here, that is extremely important. It is not as if you enjoy doing,,,: Rachel waved at the body. "... this part. You never have. Not in all your time on the Crew."

"No. That's true. I hate that part." Denise agreed.

"I do too." Morgan said lowly and into my chest. Now comes the part where she has to pay for what she did.

Helen saw it. "Morgan: someone somewhere was going to have to kill him. Council had a kill-on-sight warrant on him. He was never going to live. He never was going to get another chance. You were the one that did it. You saved someone else, like Denise, from being the one."

"He pointed a gun at me." I contributed, and it is not the out-of-the-blue statement it might seem. Jessica understood my point and nodded at that, "Well, that explains why the head is on backward. One should NEVER point a gun at you around Morgan and hope to live. Or me. Or Helen."

"Or me." Denise added. She looked again at the body. "That is very well done. He never felt a thing, Morgan. Mercy itself."

"I'll be back" Jessica said. "Can someone roll this door up?"

Denise went to do it. Morgan warned her "Take my pen out of there first. In the door roller rail on the left there."

Denise extracted the pen from the door railing, and looked at it. "You fucking blocked the door, just in case. Steel barrel. Would have gummed that up good. Crew move, girl." She handed the pen back to Morgan.

"Thanks." Morgan said.

Denise and Anne swept through the space looking for any traces of us. As Morgan and I were careful, they had nothing to clean up but a few tiny drops of Tommy's blood that had rolled off his face, down the side of his cheek, and onto the floor. He had no blood pressure to push out more. Must have been some internal pressure from how the neck is positioned that made anything come out at all. The carotid would be occluded and compressed.

The poor guard we will leave as he is, so as not to leave any clues about us being here. The cops will be here soon enough to free him.

The Honda backed up to the door and the rear hatch opened. It once again became an ambulance. Unlike the occasions with myself or Helen, this time there is no hope for the person going into it. Tommy was folded by Jessica with no little force behind the third-row seat. Anne and Denise watching to be sure no evidence is left by the compression of Tommy into the space. He has not been dead long enough for Rigor to set in, so it was not that brutal.