Everything is Different

Morgan drove her Miata, and Jessica the Regal. They called ahead to be sure Vera would be at her house but did NOT explain why they were asking.

When they arrived, there were two cars in the driveway. Vera's current pile of bolts and another vehicle they did not know. They put the restored Regal in behind the unknown car. Morgan put her Miata on the street, tight to the curb to try to keep passing cars from hitting it.

Vera answered the door. "Hi, guys! I was not expecting to see you tonight. You said you had a surprise? What's up?"

The two Vampire women stepped aside so Vera could see the shiny new looking Regal, sitting at the very end of the driveway. "Surprise!" Morgan said, with a wave at the now show grade vehicle.

"What's that? That's the same kind of car I used to have. I think? Looks kinda like it?" Vera said.

"Oh, no Vera..." Morgan explained. "... That is the surprise exactly. That car right there IS your old Regal. Jessica and I restored it for you."

"Restored it and then some." Jessica added.

"You... Wait. You what now?" Vera was very confused. That shiny car is not her old junker. No way.

Jessica waved a set of keys at Vera. "It's still yours. Seems you noticed: Morgan and I fixed it up."

"No: I mean: I gave Adrian the title... Beside! That beauty doesn't look ANYTHING like my old car. Everything is different! It's not even the same color! Well: hard to know what color mine was, actually. Dirt and rust color mostly."

"Adrian never did anything with that title, Vera. It is still in YOUR name. Everything is current on it too. License and registration. Title in the glovebox with all the paperwork. All yours." Morgan explained.

"The guy at the inspection station about lost his shit when he saw that car." Jessica told her.

"The Buick sat in the driveway after you left it there for Adrian. Jessica and I wanted to give you something as a 'thank you' for everything you have done for us and our two species over the years. Siren and Vampire." Morgan told her quietly. She added "Can I assume that man in the house is human and not in the know? I smell a human male..."

Vera called back into the house "Hey: Johnny! Be right back. Stay put."

"OK." Came a male voice.

Vera stepped out and closed the door. "I am so done with Siren men. Worthless fucks, in the most literal sense of the word. Angel and I found Johnny at the shopping mall one day, so I am trying something new. Not new I guess: Just going back to humans. Last human I had was pretty decent. The one you have now..."

Ever since Vera and Angel had joined the Vampires in France to fight some human purists, they have been thicker than thieves, and Angel, in particular, has made a point of being Vera's wing-woman. No one in the Sagan household is exactly sure what Angel up to other than it seems that Vera being happy is very important to her. Vera being happy, as a female Siren, means decent sex. No different than a Vampire on that point.

Jessica smiled. "We understand, Vera. Come see your car, and we'll get gone so you can get a new car and get laid tonight. Going to be a good night."

Vera walked around the car. " Guys: This is not my old car. That thing was garbage. Adrian broke up with me over that piece of shit. This thing is fucking gorgeous."

Morgan disagreed "It completely is your old car, Vera. I promise. Jessica and I rebuilt it. Inside and out. Took off the rest of the chrome since half of it was missing anyway. Filled the holes. Fixed the rust. Repainted it. Many coats of primer, paint, and sealant on there now. Modern paint: Not the garbage GM was using in the 90's. This car was not this nice when it left the factory. GM never made a Regal this nice. Not ever. Your car now has better everything. Updated everything. The sound system alone will make you very happy. Get in. Start her up."