RV Installation

Tommy, newbie Vampire, is coming here from Vancouver as my Probate and I need temporary living space for him (and I am still not sure what to think about this entire arrangement).

There are RV sales yards from Temple to San Antonio along I-35. You can barely throw a trailer hitch ball and not hit one. It took some work (shopping is work), but we found the RV we wanted.

It is huge.

It has tip-outs to make it 'huger'. It is laid out for a family with a bunkhouse at one end rather than set up for a couple full-timing as most fivers are. Fivers are RV's with goose-neck hitches rather than trailer ball hitches. A really large RV does better with that kind of hitch. More control. Safer.

We delayed buying an RV because we were waiting for Rachel to get a little older. I'm not sure why, in retrospect. Once Rachel is big enough to remember RV trips, there will be (hopefully) another little one coming along behind her.

Jessica and Morgan are already planning end-user modifications to the RV. Bigger / better bath. More private commode (a proper water closet). Replacing the master bed with something even bigger. That alone will be a huge project as it requires removing the tip-out to make a big enough hole in the RV for the bed. Same thing for the bathroom because the tub HAS to seat four. We have our standards.

The RV is only temporary for Tommy. On the other side of the second RV slot and across the drive a short way is the new, hugely bigger garage. It is two-story like the first. We will move and expand Jessica and Mom's medical suite currently on the second floor of the old garage to the second floor of the new building, and return the room over the old garage back to being a 'mother in law'.

We can then move Tommy up there after all the things have been moved around. That is all going to take a while, so Tommy gets an RV house short term, and we get an RV long term. Win-win. Once Tommy is out, Jessica and Morgan will begin their remodeling project.

Before we can swizzle things Mom and Jessica need to layout the final design of the new medical facility so we can build it out. Complete with a patient room, shower, and everything a mini-hospital will need. My mom is secretly (as if she can hide anything from Morgan and I) very excited by this opportunity to build a clinic the way she wants it. When she was doing epidemiology, a great deal of it took place in huge tents. A dedicated clinic of her and Jessica's own design is nirvana.

The clinic will be large because it sits on top of the new massive car facility designed by Morgan and Jessica. They wanted a full workshop with all the trimmings. Compressed air, car lifts, machine tools, rows of hand and power tools. Parts storage organized by car. Spare parts, especially for the Miata. I think Morgan could build an entire second Miata out of the stuff she has put back now. The toolboxes are as if someone backed up a Snap-On truck and unloaded it in there, then decided that is not enough tools and went out and bought the entire Craftsman tools catalog for good measure. There are F1 and Nascar teams with fewer tools. There is a place at one end they can drop temporary walls and use it as a paint booth. Temperature and humidity-controlled. The works.

Morgan keeps her 1991 Miata pristine, and she (and now she and Jessica) do all the work. Jessica also likes to work on things like motors, and she can bring over an outboard motor from the Nightwing, our boat on Lake Travis, and rebuild them to her heart's content. That means there are engine stands for car motors and tanks for boat motors. Everything is spotless and all surfaces sealed for easy cleaning. I could make food in there and not worry about motor oil in a casserole.

Well: There is no oven in the garage of the goddesses, but other than that...

It is a good thing the garage is huge, both wide and deep because Morgan's new truck needs to live in there when it is not hauling things.