RV Search

I used to astound Morgan with what I can do with my hypersenses, but she now has them too. We are the two most effective bloodhounds on the planet. Since we are on equal footing in terms of senses, Morgan's experience as a cop and PI means she is in charge of the scene and I will follow her lead. We did not talk about that. I just fell into that role naturally.

We stood in the living room and absorbed the room. With the RV walls run out to their fully extended positions, the interior space is pretty amazing. The newspapers are still where Morgan saw them. Other than that, the room looks normal. Clean. Neat.

It smells like Tommy.

Morgan went past the kitchen and up to the master bedroom. In a Fiver, the master bedroom rides over the hitch to the truck, so it is lifted above the rest of the RV.

The bed is made, and the scent of Tommy only wafted in from the bathroom, it seems he has never been up here. The clothes drawers have never been touched by him. Nothing is in them. The handles have no scent. I would know if he even touched them once. He never has. If he touched and then cleaned them, I would smell freshly applied cleaners. He must have lived out of his luggage.

Morgan noted all the same things. It would be funny to have to explain to someone why we are smelling drawer pulls.

"Very interesting." Is all Morgan offered so far.

Having no other instructions from the senior officer in charge of onsite investigations, I went to the sofa bed in the living room and folded it out. It is pristine. It, like the master bed, has never been used since it was delivered from the factory. I folded the bed back into the couch frame and examined the seat cushions, then the armrests. This is where Tommy slept, and he leaned on the one armrest, closer to the TV.

The recliner has his scent. We saw him sit there.

Morgan got down on her hands and knees and smelled the carpet. I thought that is interesting, but I suddenly came up with a different idea. I went to the air filter on the air conditioner, pulled it out, and smelled it. All the air in the room would pass through this. I sniffed and sorted.

Morgan, watching me with the air filter said: "Good idea. Anything?"

"Still thinking about it. Sorting it. Want a sniff?" I offered.

"Absolutely. I thought you would never ask." She took the air filter, and inhaled of it.

I opened the refrigerator and the freezer. I went through the cabinets. I sniffed the single dish in the sink. I went to the shower, looked at the Vampire typical unscented soaps. Sniffed the outside of the bottles. I checked the water closet. Sniffed the unused partion of the toilet paper roll.

I went to the couch again, flipped up the skirt fabric on the edge. I inhaled the air underneath it. 

I stood up. put my hands on my hips and looked around for anything I missed. Then I sighed.

"Conclusions?" Morgan asked.

"If there is ever a man that lives a low impact lifestyle, it's Tommy. The only clue I have and it's damn weak, is there is one particular scent in the air filter I cannot find anywhere else in here. I think it is flower pollen."

Morgan still had the air filter in her hand. She lifted and regarded it somewhat sourly. "It is not strong. I know which one you mean. I cannot find it either."

"One scent is not nothing. If we find that flower, we'll know which one he has been near, but if it's common to the area, that will be useless." I sighed.

"Let us check the outside." Morgan said, and we exited back into the day.

We opened up all the compartments on the outside. They are pristine. As delivered from the factory other than the tools Morgan and Jessica used to level the RV.